Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old April 17, 2012   #1
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Default Fish Lake Oxheart

What can folks tell me about this variety?

I saw the thread about its DTM, and thought, "Hey, there's a Fish Lake near here in Prince Edward County, isn't that funny? Of course there must be lots of lakes called Fish Lake, so I'm sure it's named after some other one." But I looked in Tatiana's database, and darned if it doesn't say it was named for Fish Lake in Prince Edward County, Ontario, originally from the County's very own Ted Maczka, who is better known around here as the Fish Lake Garlic Man.

It looks like it was offered on SSE by Carolyn who got them from an Ontarian named Neil from Holland Landing, which is a few hours' distance from here.

I was laughing because just last night at the pub I was sitting next to a gentleman who lives on Fish Lake.

I'd love to know more about this variety.

I know this area had a big vegetable growing and canning industry from the late 19th c. through about the 1950s. I can see the mausoleum of one of the big canning industry magnates from my window as I type (a local cemetery is across the street from me). They say that at one time half the tomatoes eaten in Canada came from here.

I know of quite a few local varieties, including Quinte [the name of the region and the big bay], Moira [a river] and, I believe, Kimberly [no idea who she was/is!].

But I've not yet come across Fish Lake Oxheart till now. What can anyone tell me about it? Did the Ted the Garlic Man breed it recently? Or is it an heirloom from the area that he championed?

If it's a good tomato, I'd love to grow it and share plants & seed with some neighbours---so it can be more widely grown in the area.

Zabby
zabby17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #2
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default Fish Lake

Somewhere I have a letter from Ted Maczka. I can't remember now if there are any details in it about the origin of Fish Lake Oxheart but I'll try and find it.
Neil G. (Canada)
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #3
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Neil!

BTW, I spoke too soon. Since my last post I looked up more about Kimberley and I see that a) it should be spelled with a second e before the y, and b) while it is an early Canadian variety, as is Moira, it is not from Ontario at all but from British Columbia. Oops.

Z
Old April 17, 2012   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And I know Neil will find that letter, and maybe add more to what Neil told me about Fish Lake Oxheart.

But I'm not sure why it's in this Legacy Forum instead of GEneral Discussion, since it's probably no different than many varieties not posted in this Forum in this regard.

Ah well, I mean, I suppose, why not? And I ask b'c the description of this Forum is varieties handed down from bygone days.

So what's bygone days? And if you take a look at the threads here, some are, and some aren't.

OK, I'll shut up now since I have to catch the tennis from Monte Carlo, which was on live at an hour not compatible with my schedule earlier this AM, so this is tape delay.
Old April 17, 2012   #5
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I did hesitate about whether it should go here or not---part of my inquiry is I'd like to FIND OUT if it's from bygone days or not, so I'm in a bit of a catch 22!

Tell you what, if Neil finds out that it's actually a relatively (I know, I know, relative to what?) variety, I'll move the discussion over to general discussion instead!

Enjoy the tennis. Nobody talks about anything but hockey 'round here.....

Z
Old April 19, 2012   #6
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default Fish Lake Garlic Man Ted Maczka

I did find my letter from Ted Maczka. He said he had had Fish Lake Oxheart for many years but couldn't remember the origin.
He mentioned that he had had hip and knee replacement few years back and had moved to a retirement home.
He also sent an article about himself from "The Harvest Table" dated Summer 2005.
I also found letters from Lettie Cantrell and her sister Cricket, Carolyn, Bill Minkey, Dorothy Beiswenger and many many others so had an enjoyable time reading some of them.
Neil G.
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #7
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Neil,

Thanks so much for digging up that letter. I guess if even the Fish Lake Garlic Man doesn't remember the origin of the Fish Lake tomato, the info may be lost in the mists of time!

I'll ask around some of the farmers who have been here several generations.

And, of course, I'll have to try to grow it myself---a little late to start around here now, esp. as it'll take me some time to get some seed, but next year.

Thanks for your input. And, Carolyn, I'll let you know if I find out whether it qualifies as a "legacy of yesteryear" variety or not, by whatever standards!

Z