Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old April 9, 2012   #1
jdwhitaker
Tomatovillian™

Default History of C-Tex Black Tomato

From Conroe Greenhouses Facebook page...

"Just a little history of the C-Tex Black Tomato. My grandfather J.D. Brann was very fond of this tomato and was responsible for developing the tomato in the early 80’s. When describing the black tomato, I often remember him saying that it’s just a “big, juicy black tomato that tastes great". This would pretty much convince anyone to at least try it out. That being said, most who have tried the Black Tomato know that if grown right, you can’t beat the taste. The actual coloring is a deep maroon but close enough to black. In developing the Black Tomato, an Early Girl was crossed with a Russian Black Krim to produce what we call J.D.’s Special Black Tomato. Or the C-Tex Black Tomato. While the seed is no longer exclusive to Conroe Greenhouse, we still grow the tomatoes locally and produce our own seed and the tomato is a staple crop in our annual spring / fall growing."
jdwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #2
maf
Tomatovillian™

Great info, thanks for sharing. I love it when people post tomato histories that come direct from the original source.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

I like finally knowing that C-Tex is not another Brandywine x Cherokee Purple, a speculation that made its rounds a few years back. However, now I know where it gets its tendency for weather-checking on the shoulders during certain climatic conditions.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #4
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Early Girl? How interesting. Now Black Krim is one of my favorite tomatoes, but I wouldn't have said the same of Early Girl.
I'm trying JD's for the first time this year, I'm really looking forward to it.
Old April 9, 2012   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Keep in mind that since the originator of J.D.'s Special C-Tex used Early Girl from the 1980s or before, it is not the same as what you'd get using the Early Girl Improved of today.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for tracking down the original history and crossing information on this. This fantastic variety has been a mystery for many years.

JD's Special C-Tex Early Black is one of my favorite tomatoes.

A past thread:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21482

Website for the greenhouse:
http://www.conroegreenhouses.com/vegetables.html

An ode to JD's Special C-Tex:
http://www.houseofannie.com/jd-special-c-tex-tomato/

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012   #7
texasrockgarden
Tomatovillian™

I grow JD every year. It is always the first or one of the first two or three tomatoes to set fruit. It is one of my favorites along with Black Krim. I have never grown Early Girl though.

I got my first seeds from Bill Jeffers in 2009 and saved seeds from that years tomato crop. I knew then it was a keeper.

Here is a pic of JD in the green taken two days ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4904.JPG (114.2 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by texasrockgarden; April 10, 2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: To correct spelling.
texasrockgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012   #8
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year and I am very much looking forward to growing JD's Special. Thanks for the information.
Old April 10, 2012   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

My first year, two. I thought it was a Brandywine crossed with Cherokee Purple or something.
Very excited to see what it's like. Also, glad its early as I have a feeling our heat is going to hit early, good to have some early tomatoes to beat the heat in AZ.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012   #10
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

I've grew JD for the first time last year. It was one of the best producers in my garden, although, the taste didn't exactly knock my socks off. It was very good, it didn't compare to Cherokee Purple of Brandywine Sudduth. Of course, we all know that taste is subjective and can be affected by several factors.

I'm growing it again this year, but shortly after planting it out, sow bugs (or doodle bugs, pill bugs, whatever you want to call them) tore the plant up. There was nothing left but the main stem. I was about to pull it and replace it when I noticed leaves coming out. I decided to leave it and see what happens. Given how late it is to starting plants from basically nothing, I do not have high hopes for it this year. From now on, I will spray when I plant out. I hate to do it, but what's the point of being pesticide free if you have no plants survive.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012   #11
dice
Tomatovillian™

It is nothing like early up here. It was a robust plant, though, abundant
flowers, set plenty of fruit, excellent flavor in warm weather.
Old April 12, 2012   #12
ljp
Tomatovillian™

"to produce what we call J.D.’s Special Black Tomato. Or the C-Tex Black Tomato."

Does this mean these tomatoes are the same?
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012   #13
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

Excited to learn it's from a Black Krim. I'm growing it for the first time this year and I like it a lot so far.
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012   #14
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
"to produce what we call J.D.’s Special Black Tomato. Or the C-Tex Black Tomato."

Does this mean these tomatoes are the same?
I believe that's right. Although now that it's escaped into general commerce, it's simply called JD's Special C-Tex.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w..._Special_C_Tex
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012   #15
creister
Tomatovillian™

Archer,

Sprinkle Cayanne pepper around each plant along with some garlic powder, and pillbugs will leave it alone. Guaranteed.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote