Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2020   #16
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
Pervaya lyubov ??some names are tounge twisters fer sure , Interdeminate , suseptical to diseases ??, Beefstake , pain to grow or easy ??..
Give it a year or two and you will find out yourself. It is supposed to be a good sized and tasting early, will be growing it for myself for the first time this year. Russian in origins.

How many plants do you normally grow each year Volvo?

Last edited by Whwoz; June 28, 2020 at 04:00 AM.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #17
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

I know he'll enjoy me saying this, but one we have been enjoying the past two seasons is ContainerTed's Kodiak Brown - for something different. We have our own favourites we grow for personal taste, but they're probably something you may not like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_20190330124655084 (Medium).jpg (114.6 KB, 191 views)
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #18
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Which brings me to remember a Greek Mate May He Rest in Peace i had who resided in Brisbane , who would always drop by for a visit everytime he was in town.
He also loved his Vegygardening and Tomato growing , tried to give him a variety of seed when i was into my Tomato growing in full swing but he always refused saying he has one variety and wont change it fer quids!! His Doumatis (Tomatos) were the best and from the old Country being Greece.
We have many Greek Members onbaord ??..

Anyway That was his taste and had to respect him for it ey , tried his variety but didnt do nothing to tickle my tastebuds afraid .
Which backs up what others have said about taste being an individual thing ey..

Being a tad bored withhaving to stay indoors as much as possible to maintain social distancing due to this Caroona Virus thing annoying the Bejayzus out of everyone thought ide have a yak regarding Greeks due to my Mate i earlier mentioned .

During a Beer or two or three we would always talk about how Greeks had spread all over the World , visit any Country and you will find a Greek . Back o Bourke , other side of the Black Stump here , Woolamakanyia , turn over a rock and youll find a Greek having a Nap or a Crap lol

Wasnt a Regional Town out West here you wouldnt find a Fush n Chup shop , Resturaunt or Cafe by the Name of , The Blue n White , The Bon Ton , The paragon , Pathagen (last one a fake lol ).

Which brings me to prove the above to be true and if the Moderator feels ive rambled on too much , feel free to delete this post ..
Few hundred years back in Greece and its islands one of the main labours was the "Abbelli" handfull of Acres where they Grew Vegys ,Watermelons and Olive Groves were known as the Abelli.
Where a young Greek by the name of Manolis toiled ever so hard alongside his Dad tilling and Growing whatever it was that was needed for that year or season.
Manolis was one of the few young Greek lads that never complained but just head down and did the best to help his Dad.
Offcourse this did not go unoticed with his Father who planned a different life for his Son , and one day called him over and said to him
"Manoli " I have booked you passage on the Mighty Patris (A ship which transported most Greek Migrants Worldwide then ) To go Stay and work for your Uncle Panayiotis Skatoskothokopolis in America , he is a very succesfull Fruiterer and will look after you and help you also tobecome succesfull.

And so it passed with a small suitcase and a tear in the eye Manolis sailed for America on the Mighty Patris where he toiled hard for his Uncle ,learned the trade ever so well to the point where one day his Uncle Panayiotis Skatoskothokopolis Called manolis over and said

" Manolis , you have worked so hard next to me ever since yourve arrived here that i am going to set you up in your own Fruit Shop so you can be sussesfull also..
Manolis with a tear in his eye Looks up at his Uncle and says , "Uncle i have a confession to make , i dont want to be a Fruiterer but do want to go to California to be a Cowboy and its been a Dream of mine fer yonks".

So with a sadness but gratitude his Uncle gives him his dues moneywise , a hug and sets him off towards his destination.

And in truth Manolis became a Very Famouse Cowboy in America , more Famouse than John Wayne , Audie Murphy , or Clint Eastwoould , He Drove catlle Herds from one end of America to the other till one day Manolis and his crew were herding a very large herd of Longhorns between two Valleys, One leg in the Stirrup , the other straddled over the horn of his saddle whilst strumming on his Bouzouki and singing " A Straddly Young Stockman lay Dying ".

When a Commotion like no other could be heard and he looks over one of the hills beside this Valley to see a Very large lot of Indians bearing down on them hollering a screaming .
Manolis and his Lads did all they could to stem off the Attack but to no avail , when an Indiam with a large headress rides alongside him with Warpaint marked all over his Noggin , Screams and leaps from his Horse onto Manolis's Horse , off the Horse both were thrown wrestling on the ground ,beating shyte out of each other when finally the Indian Chief gets the better of Manolis , straddles utop of him , Draws this almighty Buffalo Knife and about to thrust it into Manolis's Chest when Manolis lets out a Scream and yells "Theos Ke Panayia " and does the sign of the cross ,across his Chest!!.
The Indian aghast Drops the knife , Lifts Manolis by his Shirt and yells " RE Gammotto Ellinas Isse " !!??.
Now you might just have to find a Greek to translate these last two lines for yous but it will prove That indeed Greeks can be found Worldwide no sweat ey
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #19
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Give it a year or two and you will find out yourself. It is supposed to be a good sized and tasting early, will be growing it for myself for the first time this year. Russian in origins.

How many plants do you normally grow each year Volvo?

I have couple of dozen at all stages at present mate see which ones tickle my taste buds more .
So fat a plant i bought from the Big Green shed by the name of Black Brandy which tells me something of its origin i have picked four off and the taste is there and have left a couple more mature Fruit to ferment for seed .
Mary Italian i have been picking for awhile though it taste okay but does nothing to tickle the taste buds and all the others are still growing and awaiting maturity.
And Your Better Best
Old June 28, 2020   #20
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The only one that still haunts me is Aunt Gertie's Gold. My plant only produced a couple of very late fruit when I last grew it successfully back in 2013, but I can still remember that perfectly balanced and rich flavor. In the coming years it never outlived the soil diseases long enough to produce ripe fruit, and last year my grafted plant from my old saved seeds did not grow true. I really need to hunt down new seeds to graft and grow it again next year...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #21
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've got some older seed, Gina. Hey...Growing Modern Roman and the 2 Stony Brooks this year...looking great!
Old June 28, 2020   #22
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Hi Craig! If you're willing to send me a couple for next year, let me know and I'll gladly send a SASE your way. Though, I guess you'd have to send me your new address... I only have your old one.

Other than a few San Marzano types, my entire paste section is the dwarfs this year--three each of Modern Ronan, the two Stony Brooks, and Banana Toes. My plan is to can all of the dwarf harvest just to see how many quarts is possible from a dozen plants. Those 12 plants occupy the same space I would use for four or five indeterminate pastes, and they are a heck of a lot easier to support!
Old June 28, 2020   #23
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Never a need for SASE or $. will check my Gertie vintage...just a sec
Old June 28, 2020   #24
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Wow - looks like the last time I grew Aunt Gertie's Gold was 2003! I've got saved seed, but 17 years old - might be an iffy germinator. Looks like I have Tomato Growers Supply seed from 2016 - I will send some of each, Gina
Old June 28, 2020   #25
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Craig! And no rush....

I'll make sure to post all my dwarf updates in the appropriate threads when I start getting ripe fruit.
Old June 28, 2020   #26
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

If someone held a gun to my head and told me I could only grow one variety of tomato it would be KBX. Don't get me wrong, I have my top 5, but none of the others in that list give me a tomatoflavorgasm that matches KBX. It's the perfect tomato to me.

Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #27
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Well, I've been growing around 350 varieties each year, and I certainly have lots of favorites, but for flavor, for several years now, Wes has been our choice. Although I have to say that for a couple of years Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart has given a good solid challenge.
Old June 29, 2020   #28
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Well my Giant Belgium Seeds arrived today so will have to make some soil blocks tomorrow and plant some seeds in for late winter crop here try beat the Summer heat .

Bought these more so on a whim that anything else really hopefully the taste will be there ??..
And Your Better Best
Old June 29, 2020   #29
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Volvo - Your Greek story reminds me of a tomato I had seeds given to me for, by an old neighbor now deceased. He befriended Jehovah Witnesses here in Victoria and one said to him his wife was Greek and had bought tomato seeds out with them from the old country. To cut a long story short, I received a conglomerate of seed and they were distributed to a few and they grew large fleshy tomatoes. We discussed a name on a garden forum here in Oz, and as a suggestion from Raymondo, we named it Greek Witness.

It still makes an appearance every now and then by some that like it. Here's how I received the seed back in 2008.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greek Witness Tomato Seeds.jpg (16.5 KB, 145 views)
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2020   #30
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsee View Post
Volvo - Your Greek story reminds me of a tomato I had seeds given to me for, by an old neighbor now deceased. He befriended Jehovah Witnesses here in Victoria and one said to him his wife was Greek and had bought tomato seeds out with them from the old country. To cut a long story short, I received a conglomerate of seed and they were distributed to a few and they grew large fleshy tomatoes. We discussed a name on a garden forum here in Oz, and as a suggestion from Raymondo, we named it Greek Witness.

It still makes an appearance every now and then by some that like it. Here's how I received the seed back in 2008.

Were they at least Tasty?? and worth their effort ??.
And Your Better Best