Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 5, 2010   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default Medovaya Kaplya

Thanks for the seed Carolyn, these were a delight this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1434.JPG (417.1 KB, 293 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
Thanks for the seed Carolyn, these were a delight this summer.
Glad you enjoyed them Mark. I thought they were darn good myself. Initial seeds from Andrey and I think I have enough seeds to offer in my next annual free seed offer here.

But you've also reminded me that I want to put up a feedback thread for the seeds I sent out this past Jan/Feb, ones from my own seed offer, not the NCSU or PSR-37 ones, b'c I need to have feedback on all of them as to seed purity, etc and some of the older varieties more psecifically as to seed germination, but I'll be more specific when I put up that thread this coming week. Translate, I'm thinking I'm going to quit listing everything before the few 2007 ones.

There were about 80 participants in my seed offer with me packing up and sending out close to darn near 400 packs and I paid the postage to every country outside the US, except for one person in Canada and he knows who he is , so I'm hoping that folks will take the time to post in that thread.

There already is a thread here about Big Sungold Select and maybe others will post in your thread about Medovaya Kaplya, but please folks, wait until I get that other thread up so you can post about all others in that thread and everything will be together in one place/

I get NO feedback from the same ones that I list in the SSE YEarbooks, so I rely on feedback from you folks who got seeds from me here.

Thank you very much.

And now back to the US Tennis Open.
Old September 5, 2010   #3
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

I am still waiting on my Medovaya Kaplya to fully ripen.Too cool, cloudy weather has really set things back outside. I am looking forward to tasty them in the next few days.

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2011   #4
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but how were these in taste and production? How do they compare to pears we may be more familiar with, like Yellow Pear?
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2011   #5
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I refuse to believe any "pear" is worth growing. I think that the pear shape trait and bad taste trait are tightly linked.

Is this pear good simply because others are so mediocre?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestKrim View Post
sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but how were these in taste and production? How do they compare to pears we may be more familiar with, like Yellow Pear?
A couple of folks gave feedback and while I sent out a LOT of seed for this variety in last year's seed offer there were few who posted in this thread.

There is another thread around that I posted later in the season when most folks tomatoes had ripened tomatoes for ALL the varieties they recieved seeds for and I think there were more responses there, but I just can't remember right now.

I grew lots of Yellow Pears when I was selling to retaurants and subbing out to a large Farm Stand operation and Medovaya Kaplya is nothing like the standard Yellow Pear, not just is the shape quite different, but it has real taste to it which I never found with Yellow Pear, which I call cute, cute, cute, and beloved by chefs for garnish.

I also grew lots of Red Pears and consistently found the taste to be better than the yellow, although yield was less but the red is much less susceptible to Early Blight ( A. solani) than is the Yellow Pear which seems to be a magnet for it.
Old January 8, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I refuse to believe any "pear" is worth growing. I think that the pear shape trait and bad taste trait are tightly linked.

Fred, see my answer below yours.And no I don't think either of the small red and yellow pears have good taste. Both are pre-1800 varieties that have been around forever.

But there are pear shaped ones and then pear shaped ones, ones that are larger and of more recent vintage that I think have pretty darn good taste.

But I do agree with you if you're talking jsut about the small red and yellow pears and I'm saying that Medovaya Kaplya is no like either one when it comes to taste. To me it looks like a yellow pear, except it usually has no neck and it looks like a wee purse tied at the top of the fruits if that makes sense, when you see them hanging on the vine.

http://members.shaw.ca/jwlcasey/Case...logueDec27.pdf

Above I've linked to Jeff Casey's excellent site and I hope it links to the page with the picture of Medovaya Kaplya.

Nothing via Google images b'c it's too new to have gotten around yet, so here's a general Google search for the variety and there may be more pictures and comments there, I saw the one that said nothing like YP.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Old January 8, 2011   #8
maf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
In my climate Japanese Black Truffle (Trifele) has a very good taste and a (larger) pear shaped fruit. I have avoided growing Yellow Pear, for obvious reasons, but the badness of one variety shouldn't rule out all of those with a similar shape. I think Carolyn hit the nail on the head when she said:
Quote:
there are pear shaped ones and then pear shaped ones.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2011   #9
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

I grew this last year (thank you Carolyn) and in my opinion there is no comparison to either Red or Yellow Pear. Medovaya Kaplya is a sweet, great tasting cherry, with the bonus of being delightfully pear shaped. First fruits were a little bland, but rapidly improved, strong healthy vines went on producing until the first frosts. Perhaps a cooler climate suits it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3778.jpg (38.3 KB, 191 views)
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2011   #10
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I still have some that were picked in mid to late November, and if I remember I'll bring some to the Menlo Park farmers' market next week, so you can taste it and save some seeds. Since they ripened in cool weather, mine were not very sweet.

I had a great tasting larger pear-shaped red tomato one year. The seedling was (mis)labeled as Cuor di Bue.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2011   #11
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Interestingly, A customer brought a few fruits of Medovaya Kaplya to us at our farm stand today. I'm going to have a chance to see how they do for us.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2011   #12
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

'Yellow Submarine' , a PL. short-necked, small yellow pear has good taste. It looks a lot like the one you folks are talking about. I grow it every year and it's healthy and productive, though a little later - 70 days.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2011   #13
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

This is an amazing little tomato! I picked the last of them, including lots of greenies, just before the plants froze on Nov. 23, and have eaten a few here and there since then. So today I looked at the remaining half pint. Many of them were still smooth and unblemished. I tried one. Two months after picking, it still tasted better than any of the small/cherry tomatoes I've sampled at local produce stores. So I ate the rest of them.

(Part of my "how long do they stay good?" experiment included some Roman Candle and volunteer black cherry tomatoes. The RC were mealy. The vbc mostly had soft spots or were wrinkled, and they had lost most of their flavor. They all got composted.)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2020   #14
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Happy belated 4th of July!

I am growing this seed this season. How do I know if I will be getting the pear shaped or the round, yellow cherry shaped I see at J&L Gardens and other places? I won't have long until the fruit sets, but I'm just curious.

Is one better than the other?

Thanks!

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2020   #15
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I don't know where you got your seeds, but I am growing the ones from Carolyn this year, and plan to save seeds to make them available for the Carolyn Tribute Seed Offer. If you don't get what you hope for this year, maybe you can get some from there, or just ask me for some!