Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2017   #3016
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,947
Default Important info for tomorrow's swap

We have an indoor building with a good sized room and bathroom facilities to use if it rains, it's on the premises, South of the garden, it's the Westernmost building, it's door is on its South side. Its where we have our meetings. The swap will still be Sat. Oct 21st from 1-4 at Miramar Community Gardens, 3700 Largo Drive, Miramar.
Marsha
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017   #3017
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™
 
Zone9b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 568
Default

We have close to 3 Raised Beds full of snap beans. Pike and Boone varieties. Hope to start picking a few by the first of November. We have approximately 300 Castle Dome Broccoli plants to go in when the Snap Beans come out. Tomatoes plants are setting but we only have had a couple of nights as low as 70 degrees, so it hasn’t been great. But the overnight lows will probably drop any day now. Bush Early Girl F1 and BHN 589 F1 are setting the most tomatoes. Cosmonaut Vokov OP, Danny F5, Brandywine Cherry Dark OP, Tomande F1, Jetsetter F1 are also setting fairly well. Others not so well. I'm attempting to grow 4 different varieties of Rutabaga. Hoping to find 1 or 2 that I like. I'm so full of Okra and sure am looking forward to some fresh snap beans.
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7519653455448518909-account_id=1.jpg (83.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 2500437476826865520-account_id=1.jpg (88.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 1966803854542414141-account_id=1.jpg (83.2 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by Zone9b; October 23, 2017 at 10:54 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #3018
kurt
Tomatovillian™
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 2,367
Default Limo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
We have close to 3 Raised Beds full of snap beans. Pike and Boone varieties. Hope to start picking a few by the first of November. We have approximately 300 Castle Dome Broccoli plants to go in when the Snap Beans come out. Tomatoes plants are setting but we only have had a couple of nights as low as 70 degrees, so it hasn’t been great. But the overnight lows will probably drop any day now. Bush Early Girl F1 and BHN 589 F1 are setting the most tomatoes. Cosmonaut Vokov OP, Danny F5, Brandywine Cherry Dark OP, Tomande F1, Jetsetter F1 are also setting fairly well. Others not so well. I'm attempting to grow 4 different varieties of Rutabaga. Hoping to find 1 or 2 that I like. I'm so full of Okra and sure am looking forward to some fresh snap beans.
Larry
Since you have extras please fill that Limo up,I will send you gps cords,I will catch some proteins,2 ,4 legged,soft or hard scales,bring any herbs for smoking. I.e. in the Green Egg and or not limited to.....Since Pm?Aint nuthin like going out your backyard and eatin,all year long in Florida.So sad for those people up there.PS looking to do a tasting via Flatag maybe,soon,Jan+,will see.Anyways thanx for images,nothing like making people jealous like me,nice work.
__________________
KURT
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #3019
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha - I wish I could go, but not this year. Thanks for the offer of SunChocola, I started new seeds along with SunPeach last night when our Boil Water notice was rescinded.

Elight - Sorry to hear about the bad pine mulch being the cause of your problems; it's almost worse.

---
Marsha - Did you Mango trees get beat up in the hurricane? Both of mine did, mainly on the east side. Do you think I should cut them back?

OTOH, the pineapple plants all look great; no different than before we left.
Barb,I want to hear about SunPeach,see photos too, that is, when it gets you some ripe fruit. My mango tree lost some branches but it stayed very well. New growth is present right now, might get a crop this summer after all. I cut mine back every year, but I would definitely cut back any jagged edges.
My pineapples look great too, including your 3, many thanks.
They just yesterday finally picked up our storm debris, because I found the guy in the one and only truck(1200 houses in our complex) and bribed him with cookies!
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #3020
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,947
Default

Kurt, have to see if they want to put on a tasting, I dont want to be the only one bringing tomatoes.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #3021
kurt
Tomatovillian™
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 2,367
Default Just trying to stir up the pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Kurt, have to see if they want to put on a tasting, I dont want to be the only one bringing tomatoes.

Sometimes just throwing the idea out will garner interest maybe.
__________________
KURT

Last edited by kurt; October 24, 2017 at 01:30 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #3022
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Indialantic, Florida
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb,I want to hear about SunPeach,see photos too, that is, when it gets you some ripe fruit. My mango tree lost some branches but it stayed very well. New growth is present right now, might get a crop this summer after all. I cut mine back every year, but I would definitely cut back any jagged edges.
My pineapples look great too, including your 3, many thanks.
They just yesterday finally picked up our storm debris, because I found the guy in the one and only truck(1200 houses in our complex) and bribed him with cookies!
Will do; Both SunPeach plants that I brought back from Tennessee made it. One is thriving and setting fruit; the other one escaped death and have 1 tomato and starting new bud clusters.

Both SunChocolas did not make the humidity/heat adjustment and died.

Both Esterina plants, the one Pink Bumble Bee plant had absolutely no problems with the climate. All have set fruit already.

The few dwarfs that I brought to Tennessee all made it even the one that got beheaded on the drive home.

The Chocolate Lightning (that was my best dwarf star producer ever) is big already and has set fruit, I have rooted some clipping from it already too.

The only other plants I have are Big Beef (all good) and 21X-F3 (from Dan's Micro/Dwarf project - a red cherry dwarf....I'm on my 3rd generation with them).

That's it for tomatoes, although I did start some seeds in early October to make up for SunChocolas and some that died during the hurricane.

My beautiful lettuce that I brought back died. I started again now that it is cooler,

I have started some brocolli too.

I want to at least use all my earthboxes up. Some plants went to RootPouches b/c they were so tall when they were planted out that I buried the stem easier.

So much less plants, so much more time.

This time last year after Hurricane Mathew, we had a 7 month drought and rained only twice. This year is just the opposite, rains a lot; thinking this will help with tomato russet mites.

----
Larry - your bean plants look beautiful.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #3023
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,947
Default

I have 6 varieties of lettuce to grow ftom starts, but not nearly enough pots for them.

Just saw Castle Dome Broccoli seeds are on sale at Park seeds. https://parkseed.com/castle-dome-hyb...p/52507-PK-P1/
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017   #3024
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,947
Default Great price on Tomato Maker

I just saw this retail yesterday for 13.99 per bag, so at 7.95 it's pretty good. I ordered 4 bags, because for seedlings this stuff is Magical!
https://www.planetnatural.com/product/tomato-maker/
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017   #3025
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™
 
Zone9b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I have 6 varieties of lettuce to grow ftom starts, but not nearly enough pots for them.
Just saw Castle Dome Broccoli seeds are on sale at Park seeds. https://parkseed.com/castle-dome-hyb...p/52507-PK-P1/
Marsha,
Thanks for sharing. Parks has a fairly thorough explanation of Castle Dome Broccoli.
I have noticed that when I cut Castle Dome and leave the stub, it will often produce more heads of Brocolli from the same plant. I knew this wasn't side shoots but I didn't know what to call it. Parks solved my dilema. They refer to this trait as "Cut and Come Again", which explains it succinctly.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2017   #3026
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Indialantic, Florida
Posts: 1,667
Default

Hasn't the weather been gorgeous this entire week? Definitely the best of the year! I also say 'This is why we live in Florida'!

Tomatoes are doing well and setting fruit.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2017   #3027
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,947
Default

Wish the weather was going to stay nice, but even more tropical stuff is about to affect us on Saturday, and it's our annual Miramar Community Garden plant sale this weekend.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2017   #3028
efisakov
Tomatovillian™
 
efisakov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ, zone 7
Posts: 3,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
We have an indoor building with a good sized room and bathroom facilities to use if it rains, it's on the premises, South of the garden, it's the Westernmost building, it's door is on its South side. Its where we have our meetings. The swap will still be Sat. Oct 21st from 1-4 at Miramar Community Gardens, 3700 Largo Drive, Miramar.
Marsha
How was it?
__________________
Ella

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2017   #3029
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™
 
Ricky Shaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zone 6a Denver North Metro
Posts: 1,910
Default

Wish I'd of checked in on this thread, the event was presently 12 miles from us. Or in Miami drive time, about an hour. Rained 4 inches in Pembroke Pines on Saturday, that's a lot of rain to me, but locals seem to shrug it off as nothing much.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2017   #3030
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™
 
Zone9b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Since you have extras please fill that Limo up,I will send you gps cords,I will catch some proteins,2 ,4 legged,soft or hard scales,bring any herbs for smoking. I.e. in the Green Egg and or not limited to.....Since Pm?Aint nuthin like going out your backyard and eatin,all year long in Florida.So sad for those people up there.PS looking to do a tasting via Flatag maybe,soon,Jan+,will see.Anyways thanx for images,nothing like making people jealous like me,nice work.
I've thought about it but I don't think an old stretch limo would make a very good garden vehicle. A sliding door like a van would help and a hatch rather than a trunk lid. When they get old, I don't think there is much of a market for them, just a lot of steel for junk. I think it got down to 49 degrees here this morning. A bit brisk.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★