Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 8, 2006   #1
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Default ye ole' "how's my list" post.....

99% of the time these types of posts are graciously replied to by the veterans who’ve answered COUNTLESS posts just like this one.
There have been times that I’ve seen some smart alec replies about how sick they get of seeing “how’s my list” type of posts.
These forums are designed for the sharing of opinions and ideas, so if any of you 99% want to give me your 2 cents worth I’d appreciate it.

I have room for 18 plants…. That’s it…so I can either add one more or double up.
I wanted to cover my bases with a good “early” some great cherries, and also toss in some color. B-wine and a few others to represent the great ole heritage and also a few to just crank out some reliable supply till frost.

This is where I stand to date…..

Brandywine (sudduth) (cuz yer s’posed to grow it)
German Red Strawberry (it’s just really good)
Brandy boy (really good “pink” flavor in a hybrid)
Big Beef (ole reliable)
Earls Faux (to see what all the fuss is about)
Aunt gerties gold (cuz I usually don’t like yellow or orange and this one is new to me)
Stump of the world (1st for me… heard it’s like b-wine)
Eva Purple Ball (early to mid, heard it cranks em out and they are tasty)
Coustralee (s’posed to be prolific, large and good…. Good combo)
Aker's West Virginia (mid season, and prolific… hope it tastes good)
2 x Sungold (2 should be enough for 2 adults and a 3 year old)
Black Cherry (TGS) (to offset the sungold)
Amish Gold (happy medium between a paste and a yummy eater!… mostly for salsa and drying)
Sara Black as a “black”
Cherokee Purple (cuz Robbins says I need it)
Stupice …..for early (my supplier doesn’t offer Kimberly)
Old February 8, 2006   #2
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

No 'Green' ?
Want some Evergreen seeds?
I can trade you Kimberly for Sara Black seeds, if you want ....

Nothing wrong with that list, BTW.
Old February 8, 2006   #3
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Dadgum, KC, thats a fine list in my book. I see a lot of similar motivations. Grow what you know and love, but Always keep peekin around the curtain, tryin to see if theres another out there ..to welcome to the fold...)))

It aint easy to narrow it down to 18, i know you really pondered the situation. I can only vouch highly for 4 on yo list...in order of preference...GRSB, BW, and a tie between B. Beef an Eva..i love em both...))) Best wishes in ya New learnins, and for a Fine season, there...
Gimme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

KC,

Nothing wrong with that list at all.

Just one comment to let you know that Sara Black was bred by Joe Bratka and isn't a family heirloom. The history he gave Bill Minkey, who listed it for him, is not accurate as to background.

Other than that I'd willingly grow all that you listed, although I do not think that Stump of the World tastes like Brandywine, Sudduth or otherwise.

It's a fine tasting variety and was also part of Ben Quisenberry's collection, as was Brandywine (Sudduth), but they are two quite different varieties as to shape and taste.

BTW, whatever Joe Bratka used for parents to breed Sara Black I should say that many folks like it very much, which is the more important part of that variety.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #5
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the input!!!
I have a few other plots that are not negotiable so I will have a few other plants this season, but these 18 are my spaces that I can just "play" with.
Thanks for the evergreen offer Cat, but I don't have the seeds, just a source for plants, but thank you anyway.