Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 5, 2006   #1
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Default Upstate/Central NY HeirloomTomato Growers

Hey! I'm feeling left out. There's CHOPTAG and Tomatopalooza and now New England HeirloomTomato Growers. I know there are some of us here in NY. It's a big state I know but maybe we, too, can get together someplace. I'd drive for tomatoes.

Barb
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2006   #2
greggf
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

Hey! What're you doing up?

I know what I'm doing up. I sleep 9am to 4 pm, by choice, and work at night. So that's my excuse........

I don't know how many heirlooms I'll be growing, if any, but I might like to toddle on over to a state park shelter or someplace in order to taste what other folks grow.

=gregg=
greggf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2006   #3
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

If I can get 6 hrs these days I'm thrilled. So I'm thrilled this morning. By choice I'd sleep 9! But too many things on my mind, unfortunately. What kind of work do you do I night?

We should be able to find someplace to get together. I know there's bcday and remy in NY. Where's Wurtsboro?
Someone lives there.

I'd be happy to start more seedlings if I knew they'd find homes.
Old February 5, 2006   #4
greggf
Tomatovillian™

I don't know where Wurtsboro (sp?) is. And I've lived in this state most of my life, in three radically different places: Canadian border, Pennsylvania border, and now central.

I write and paint. If you search on my Members page, you can get to my website. My avatar is the cover of one of my upcoming books.

I have no idea what my schedule is this year, but tomatoes may be a part of it............

=gregg=
Old February 5, 2006   #5
greggf
Tomatovillian™

Actually, I just tried the Members page, and it says it's closed to keep it away from spammers. So I'll try posting this here:

http://www.greggfedchak.com

=gregg=
Old February 5, 2006   #6
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

My pal used to write at night. I knit at night but I can't think straight enough to write at night. She also used to go to some Denny's like restaurant on the 101 in Santa Barbara to write.

When I write I want my CD's, my chocolate, my orange spice tea here. I don't want dishes clattering about and people sneezing and ordering pancakes.
Old February 5, 2006   #7
hedwarr
Tomatovillian™

Ilive in Wurtsboro. It is located in sullivan county. And YES!!! I am interested!!!!!!!!!
hedwarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2006   #8
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Right Sullivan County. I know where that is, not too far from here--given that everything is pretty far away in NY to begin with. I'm in Broome County. We're getting organized already.

I would like (certainly don't need) a Cherokee Purple for this year so if someone is starting those, I'll be thrilled to trade.
I grow mostly Eastern European varieties which seem to do really well hereabouts.
Old February 5, 2006   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Barb,

Did you see at GW that someone is getting together a New England group as well?

Now NE is larger than NYS, but still, distances are so far apart in our sometimes great state.

I'm in southern Washington County one mile from the VT border, but as you know, currently I can't drive more than about 20 miles, tops, when the weather is good.

Carolyn, housebound for the winter but with loads of books and magazines and music and foodie shows and others to watch on TV and two cat kids to keep me company, as well as keeping touch with humans by posting online. LOL
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2006   #10
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I know you can't drive, Carolyn. Not that I consider driving all that great! But one does want to leave the humble abode at least once a week, which is what I do. Otherwise I'm pretty much here what with the price of gas and writing and knitting. I'd be perfectly willing to drive (and consider it an outing equivalent to 2 weeks) to you but I'm closer than say... Mark Korney ;-)

It'll be a good test to see how motivated New Yorkers are when it comes to getting to a central location for tomatoes.
Old February 5, 2006   #11
hedwarr
Tomatovillian™

I would definately be willing to travel. I am roughly an hour and a half from Boone county and about 3 hours from Carolyn. If we could find a location close to carolyn it would accomodate her traveling too far. I really would like to organize something in the near future. I love to cook and am told by many that i should have been a chef. LOL So food is not an issue. ED
Old February 5, 2006   #12
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Cook away, m'dear!

We probably need a spot that's actually in Central NY unless we're really going on a junket to the border of VT. We need a map.

Mapquest.
Old February 7, 2006   #13
hedwarr
Tomatovillian™

Anyone else in the NY area interested? Gtta keep this going!!!