Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 19, 2011   #1
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Default Virus Test Kits

I see there are do-it-yourself test kits available for virus detection. I was wondering if these kits are accurate and comparable to sending samples away to a lab. If so, where is the best place in the US to buy them. If not, where is the best lab to send samples.

I'm mostly interested in the detection of TSWV and TMV in tomato plants.

Thanks,
Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
I see there are do-it-yourself test kits available for virus detection. I was wondering if these kits are accurate and comparable to sending samples away to a lab. If so, where is the best place in the US to buy them. If not, where is the best lab to send samples.

I'm mostly interested in the detection of TSWV and TMV in tomato plants.

Thanks,
Steve
Could you please link to some of the sites where they're selling virus detection kits to ID the presence of Tomato diseases, specifically the ones you mention and any others?

The reason I ask is b'c I do know a bit about plant virus detection and I have a hard time seeing that such kits exist that can ID those viruses. And also knowing the cost to do so in approved labs b/c of how the plant tissue material needs to be processed.

IF those kits do detect certain plant viruses with accuracy, and are not too expensive I could see a huge market for them for the hobby grower, but.....
Old April 19, 2011   #3
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I was looking at some of the kits supplied by Agdia. http://www.agdia.com/

Some of the kits look pretty involved but the ImmunoStrips look simple to use and are fairly reasonably priced (5 tests for about $28)
https://orders.agdia.com/InventoryD....K+39300&loc=IN

If they are reliable it would be something I would use.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote