Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 20, 2015   #1
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue DANGER for the tomatoes.

This is the continuation of a post placed in another place but which is never taken back in the list of the answers given to a comment.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38552

I thus place the continuation in another place because I judge that this phenomenon has to be known of all the lovers of tomatoes.

Blue DANGER for the dwarf.

PART 1

1) After the adventure of " pineapple blue ".

In 2010, I sowed several seeds of my OSU 01 to OSU99 and I tried some crossings with other varieties.
Next years, I noticed that some crossings had succeeded. I would show later what I obtained thanks to several testers which helped me.
From 2012, I did not realize any more crossings because I noticed that I had so many crossings realized by insects and bumblebees as those whom I tried to realize myself.
In 2013, I decided to install almost everywhere among my plants of blue tomatoes of the dwarf plants in jars and to see if I had fortuitous hybridizations.

2) Dwarf in 2013

Here are the varieties which I growed: Robin Hood and Tiny Tim.

2) Dwarf in 2014

Here are the varieties which I growed: Reinhards ' Goldkirsche, pink Olive and Idaho.
I obtained certain results in 2014 and 2015 for Robin Hood and the varieties photos of which you see.

Attachment 53888

Attachment 53889

Attachment 53890

Attachment 53891

Attachment 53892

Attachment 53893

b) Filaris

44 dwarf FilarisF2.jpg

45 dwarf FilarisF1.jpg

3 different characters are present on F2 with regard to compared with F1
A) Leaves are different
B) Tomatoes are 7 times as big
C) The color of certain tomatoes are red and blue.

Remarks:
1) The blue color upset the relationship) of the characters of dominance.
2) There are 3 visible characters but how many characters are crossed here in fact. Blue appears almost everywhere!!!
3) Imagine the number of possibilities of crossings of 6 characters.
4) In 2015, I obtained identical plants in 3708AB 32inch in height.
5) And a plant of 100 inch high.

46 dwarf TomRed.jpg

47 dwarf Tom Red.jpg

48 dwarf Tom Red 2.jpg

49 dwarf Tom Red 3.jpg

Last edited by Ambiorix; October 20, 2015 at 05:03 AM.
Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2015   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry, but your expression of English is difficult for me to follow. My understanding of what you are saying is that you made crosses with the OSU varieties in prior years, but now you are getting blue traits in varieties you did NOT cross, and further, your non-blue plants are being "mutated" in other ways which you attribute to the blue invasion. Is this close to what you mean to say?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2015   #3
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

French is my mother language.
But you understood everything.
I have many examples to be shown.
Old October 20, 2015   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Higher than expected cross pollination seems to be a reasonable explanation for what you see. And there might be factors that enhance the cross pollination of Blues (more pollen, better pollen viability, increased insect visits to "blue" varieties...).

The likelihood that the non-blue varieties are "mutated", however, does not make sense to me. As a biologist, I cannot think of a mechanism that would explain a non-blue to blue mutation. You aren't suggesting this, are you?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2015   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

It would seem to me that crossing any varieties would result in changes throughout a plant's structure and fruit with the introduction of various different genes resulting from the cross, regardless of whether the cross involved a blue variety. For the past 3 years I have been growing dozens and dozens of varieties together, including blue ones, and I have seen no blue seepage into others. I've seen very little crossing at all from any varieties. Perhaps I don't have the number of insect pollinators causing crosses as others do, although I have bumblebees at work constantly in my tomato patches. I will pay more attention in the future.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2015   #6
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Something that should be considered is that many other strains show low levels of anthocyanin production, without any potential of crossing to OSU (or other "blue" strains). Sepal and leaf coloration is common. In particular, sepal coloration is present in var "Tiny Tim" and appears to be derived from the Solanum pimpinellifolium parent. The genes that result in the blue color of the OSU and derived strains have homologs in basically every other wild species which modern tomatoes were bred from. These genes can assort into combinations that result in enhanced anthocyanin production (http://the-biologist-is-in.blogspot....ue-tomato.html) without any potential crossing by OSU or related strains.

Last edited by Darren Abbey; October 21, 2015 at 02:18 AM.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2015   #7
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

All my tries with Robin Hood were compared always every year with several plants of Tiny Tim. I have never noticed any blue indication on all my Tiny Tim (no blue sepals,no blue on the skin , no blue nowhere).
I consider moreover that Tiny Tim is a variety who résist to the pollen of blue tomatoes .
Old October 21, 2015   #8
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

d) Shadow Boxing

A) an unstable variety.

This variety created by Tom Wagner is really unstable for several reasons:
1 °) Certain plants give rather different tomatoes since the first cluster up to the last one.
2 °) Certain indefinite plants are very big (> 100 inch) or less big (60 inch).
3 °) other plants are determined and do not exceed 40 inch.
4 °) There are even dwarf plants.
It is the reason why, I like studying this kind of instability.

B) Indefinite Shadow boxing #5

A Japanese ( Scope Seeds) worked well enough on this variety. I thus got myself seeds.
I harvested the seeds of a plant and in 2015, one of my testers followed 5 plants resulting from these seeds.
3001SS gave seeds 4856AB.
4856AB gave 5016BW

51 shadow boxing BW.jpg

52 dwarf shadow boxing 2.jpg

"
Old October 21, 2015   #10
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

The good photo is:

69 nain 33 DSB dec.jpg
Old October 21, 2015   #11
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

The picture below is an example of the kind of segregation I found in Shadow Boxing in 2013, these were all a generation beyond the original Tom sent out. If I recall correctly, this box was missing fruit from the dwarf lines.

My opinion is that it was released as a very early generation from some wildly different parent lines. I think that is part of the problem with many of the blue lines out there, they've been released unstable in the rush to market.

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; October 21, 2015 at 04:58 PM.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2015   #14
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

100 carrot silvery.jpg

101 carrot 2 blu.jpg

102 silvery tree 2015.jpg

103 USA 2015.jpg

104 USA 2015.jpg

105 Varen blad cotyl.jpg

106 Blue Fir Silvery Tree.jpg