Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old December 17, 2010   #1
RickCorey
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone heard of "Sanza Cherry"?

Has anyone heard of "Sanza Cherry"? That showed up on a packet in a group swap, and I haven't been able to find it online.

It might be a typo for "Santa" (a.k.a. Santa Sweets or maybe even "Santa F1") but I can't find the person who wrote the pkt label.

An online search turned up a region in Italy of that name, with an unusual method of making tomato sauce, and a "thumb piano" made from tomato cans, but no tomato cultivars of that name.

Thanks for any tips!

Corey
RickCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCorey View Post
Has anyone heard of "Sanza Cherry"? That showed up on a packet in a group swap, and I haven't been able to find it online.

It might be a typo for "Santa" (a.k.a. Santa Sweets or maybe even "Santa F1") but I can't find the person who wrote the pkt label.

An online search turned up a region in Italy of that name, with an unusual method of making tomato sauce, and a "thumb piano" made from tomato cans, but no tomato cultivars of that name.

Thanks for any tips!

Corey
Glad to see you made it here Corey.

I did some Googling and did find the link to the lady from Brooklyn who made tomato sauce two ways, from Sanza and from Naples, but those are large fruits that are shown in the picture that they're using and no reason to think that a variety called Sanza Cherry came from there.

I was unable to find any mention of a Sanza cherry anywhere and also checked some back SSE YEarbooks as did the person who answered your same question where you posted it elsewhere. And also concluded that it was no doubt Santa that was meant.

Since it was a group trade is it possible to find out who sent you those seeds? If not I assuming it's Santa, the dehybridized OP, and the person didn't write on the package what F generation it was probably bc he or she didn't know. It would be highly unusual for anyone to trade any F1 varieties in a group trade so I don't think you have Santa F1, especially since I assume the trade was in the US and no seeds for Santa F1 are sold in the US.

Hope that helps.
Old December 20, 2010   #3
RickCorey
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn

Over the weekend, the host of that swap found a typewritten copy of the name, and it was indeed "Santa". I still don't know who sent it.

Thank you for searching around!

After learning that the source for such seeds in the USA is "supermarket tomatoes", I've been looking at the tomato section in a new light. More interesting!

Corey
RickCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCorey View Post
Hi Carolyn

Over the weekend, the host of that swap found a typewritten copy of the name, and it was indeed "Santa". I still don't know who sent it.

Thank you for searching around!

After learning that the source for such seeds in the USA is "supermarket tomatoes", I've been looking at the tomato section in a new light. More interesting!

Corey

Corey, I'm glad to hear that you were able to confirm that what you have is Santa, of unknown generation, but it should be fine and I hope you enjoy it. NO sense looking for Santa Sweets in the store since saved seeds would only be the F2's and although I don't know what generation of Santa OP you have I'd bet it was beyond the F2.