Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 27, 2014   #16
taboule
Tomatovillian™

I started peppers and eggplants on Feb 9, and to my surprise most of the peppers (except one specific variety) germinated within 10 days, then followed by Black Beauty eggplants. First were the jalapenos, then habaneros, then the sweet peppers...

I resisted the urge of starting tomatoes, plan to do an assorted batch this coming Saturday March 1. That seems like an easy date to remember, and being on a weekend, I can spend some quality time.

Will also start some brassicas, lettuce and other greens. Planning to build a small low tunnel this year(first time) to get a head start on the season. I can usually grow large plants indoor under light, but they still go through a reset and a pause when transplanted outside. Will try some small/container type tomatoes for the first time as well.

Woke up to 7 deg this morning, north of Boston. I thought we were done with these temps.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #17
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Submitting to Old Man Winter. He is the victor, merciless soul. I usually start broccoli and lettuce around March 10, peppers March 15-20 and tomatoes March 30. Looking out at the 18-24" of snow across my garden right now and looking at the forecast for has me starting to ponder my March 10 date this year. At least the onions are doing nicely under the grow lights as is the pepper plant from a seed from a pepper I was eating back in December.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Old Man Winter may seem cruel at times, but because of him, Northern climate doesn't have to battle such bugs, pests and diseases that are common in more Southern zones. I gladly put up with a few winter months if that means efficient pest control.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #19
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Yes I know and I'd much rather winter than put up with stifling heat and humidity all spring, summer, and fall. It's just been the coldest winter of my life (32 years) and I am always ready to flip the switch from winter to spring when I see March 1 on the calendar--just doesn't usually work that way.
Old February 27, 2014   #20
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Le sigh. Our windchill hit -22 again last night and the forecast is saying that the its all teens and twenties until March 8 when we MIGHT hit 27. The weatherman says we are getting a big snow hit again Saturday too. It could be worse though, I traveled to Minneapolis on Tuesday and MAN they have a lot of white stuff on the ground. Thats what i keep telling myself, lol it could be worse.

In the meantime, the pushing activities:
-Planting sweet peppers and tomatoes today which is about two weeks behind my normal pushing activities.
-The Kale I started three days ago is emerging and the grow lights got put up.
-I've started working on the hubby, telling him that new raised beds in the center of the yard could double as a sweet hockey rink border in the winter.
-I ordered more row cover. With our great lake so heavily ice covered, it is going to probably be a cool summer. I'll use the row cover to try and keep more heat in some beds.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Am I the only Northern Zone Puller?
Most tomato starts are about May 1st, for me.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #22
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Growing out my fullsize indeterminate F1 crosses since OCTOBER in my kitchen has pushed all of my zone 3a abilities and provides an unusual interior decorating scheme. I am determined to save a whole year and have F2 seed by the end of March if it kills me.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #23
dot520
Tomatovillian™

Cabin fever is setting in quite well here in Indy. Eight weeks ago I decided to start up some Tumbling Toms and those are almost ready for their final destination pots. This weekend I start some bok choy, pak choy, turnips and beets all in the basement under my mega halide light and keep them there through maturity. I might start some lettuces too. In the past I've grown peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes in my basement, but this year I have a local grower starting plants for me to buy.

I want someone to guarantee me that spring will actually happen this year. 6-10" of snow and sleet coming this weekend. Ugh!
dot520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #24
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Growing out my fullsize indeterminate F1 crosses since OCTOBER in my kitchen has pushed all of my zone 3a abilities and provides an unusual interior decorating scheme. I am determined to save a whole year and have F2 seed by the end of March if it kills me.
Karen

Karen you made me laugh out loud at your interior decorating. I can relate...oh boy can I relate.

Signed she with dozen cups of sprigs on windowsills all over the place.

Stacy
Old February 27, 2014   #25
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot520 View Post
I want someone to guarantee me that spring will actually happen this year. 6-10" of snow and sleet coming this weekend. Ugh!
I know right? Every day I click on the ten day to see if somewhere...anywhere there is a spring in sight. Its getting rather disconcerting that so far a big fat we have a big fat nada.

So come on here and ignore the southern and Cali threads and comfort myself that a big chunk of the country is right there with me.

Stacy
Old February 27, 2014   #26
bower
Tomatovillian™

Equally bleak here with storm after storm, and extreme cold forecast into March. In like a lion, out like a lamb?

Speaking of interior decor, of all things the passion fruit that was lurking behind the fridge has sprouted today. This is what happens when friends come to visit from Hawaii in february! From what I've read on the internet, passion fruit is not fit to be grown here either outdoors or in. Massive vines.... and won't fruit... gulp. Spring... rescue.....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #27
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Haha! ^ Here, I am planning on planting guava and/or pitahaya... you never know what might sprout!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2014   #28
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Equally bleak here with storm after storm, and extreme cold forecast into March. In like a lion, out like a lamb?

Speaking of interior decor, of all things the passion fruit that was lurking behind the fridge has sprouted today. This is what happens when friends come to visit from Hawaii in february! From what I've read on the internet, passion fruit is not fit to be grown here either outdoors or in. Massive vines.... and won't fruit... gulp. Spring... rescue.....
Grow it...grow it....Grow it... Grow it
(Stacy chants for the extreme zone pushing!}

I've been nursing along culinary ginger and a tumeric root in damp paper towels for a couple of weeks now. The ginger is coming along, the tumeric....starting to look a little funky.
Old March 1, 2014   #29
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Bought two frozen solid bags of potting mix and composted manure as well as a few 5 gallons buckets for some dwarf tomatoes early this afternoon. And now watch the big fat snow flakes fly and pile on.
Old March 1, 2014   #30
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Wah, me too, We are supposed to be getting another 6-7 inches tonight.

So I broke out some soil and planted a bunch of Tom Wagner's potato seed. (All Blue and Purple Valley)

These did great for me last year. I grew them in a pile of compost between some straw bales. The one problem I had was digging them up. Hornets moved into the bales and those potatoes got me 7 hornet stings!

I'm really surprised more people don't use TPS potato seeds. It was so easy!

Stacy