Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 19, 2017   #1
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Default Can't Identify

I did it for the 40th year in a row, but this time with 24 varieties it is impossible for me to figure it out!Watered or weathered the identifying stickers to oblivion Now I want to narrow down the varieties for next year so I don't have to take care of so many plants(got/had over 100 plants and don't sell 'em). So it looks like and tastes like Dana's Dusky Rose, Not Your Purple Strawberry, Cherokee Purple, Bear Creek, and Barlow's Best Black all taste very good but Barlow's did not produce like the other dark ones. Not real sure on these - how to tell difference??? Which had fewer seeds etc..........I lost my way

As for the reds, I did not like the flavor or texture of Texwine.

Dwarfs seems like Beauty King, New Big, Tennessee Suited, were good

So, I guess is there a place that helps identify

Thanks
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2017   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

For next year, I buy these, they do not wear off in weather and light. One will last a year if kept capped. I buy a box of a dozen, will last me many years.https://www.amazon.com/Sakura-Sakur-...12+identi-pens
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2017   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Plant alphabetically. You can keep dwarfs or shorter determinates in designated rows if you don't want to mix them in with taller plants.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2017   #4
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I write the name at the top of the label and again at the bottom (I used old Venetian blind pieces and a Sharpie marker; under the soil line there is no light to fade it) - the latter saves the day!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2017   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I make a map and keep it on the fridge for when those tags disappear or fade into oblivion! This year I also planted alphabetically, which really helps. and I always keep all the seed packets of varieties that I planted in a baggie so that I can write on them later, if necessary (things like "good in '17", "low germination" or sometimes even "wrong variety")

HTH,
Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2017   #6
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the ideas. I will try to be less next year(there is always the chance it will happen!) In con★★★★★★★★ with the varieties mentioned in post#1 of this thread, attached is a photo, can anyone name any of these? Bad pic on the #'s but the little guy on the left is #1 and they follow thru to the right with last being #7.
Thanks
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Identification.jpg (217.6 KB, 59 views)
Old August 19, 2017   #7
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

hard to ID from fuzzy shot. Get in there and give us some zooms, then sleuthing will begin. And please give us choices, none of us is Carnac The Magnificent.

Last edited by Gerardo; August 19, 2017 at 02:07 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2017   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Pete, close ups and also blossom side ups would help. The different purples though are going yo be very tough. Do you have more of these seeds? I do if you need.
Also, Not Your Purple Strawberry should be changed to Not Purple Strawberry, please.
Old August 19, 2017   #9
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, I appreciate your time and input. Here is another try - not used to using phone camera - doing the best I can. Had to resize etc

Dana's Dusky Rose, Not Your Purple Strawberry, Cherokee Purple, Bear Creek, Donskoi, Rebel Yell, Limbaugh's Legacy, and Barlow's Best Black.

Thanks
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TM11.jpg (276.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg TM33.jpg (228.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg TM444.jpg (189.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg TM222.jpg (257.5 KB, 55 views)
Old August 19, 2017   #10
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

#3 and #8 are a bit heart shaped - pic's don't show well
Old August 19, 2017   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Donskoi is #6, Limbaughs is #4, the purples are impossible to tell, as are the underripe ones. I also need the blossom ends photos. Please drop the word "Your" from Not Purple Strawberry , there is no (your) in the title. Sorry I can't be if more help, but I can send you more seeds properly marked.
Old August 19, 2017   #12
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Hi Marsha, Ha, this is funny You recognized your own fruits I got from your seeds last winter - they are all wonderful - you did a great job, thanks again! I will try when time allows to get other views, gotta resize photo's etc. I liked all the Purples a lot - they are great and I will prob grow them again next year. I have a few seeds left somewhere but when / if you do another seed offer I will get in on it.
Thanks again,
Pete
Old August 19, 2017   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Pete, glad to help you if I can. I just recognized the names, not really the fruit.
Old August 19, 2017   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I also think #7 is Dana's Dusky Rose.
Old August 19, 2017   #15
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

here are the blossom ends of the one's not sure of: if I/we/you can figure it out great, but just so much can be done, as always much appreciated.
Gotta go water - no rain here for about 3 weeks or more - dragging hoses is getting old, another reason to know just what varieties to grow next year - had over 100 plants in the ground. Now I am trimming wilt, blight, tomato toneing, and trying to nurse back into production some of the poor sick guys.
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tt12.jpg (138.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg ttt13.jpg (136.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg tt57.jpg (173.9 KB, 43 views)