Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 7, 2017   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Not Cosmonaut Volkov

One of the varieties I'm growing this year is Comonaut Volkov, or so I thought. Now the growth habit and fruit shape is not what every site tells me it should be...
Tatiana's and others describe a slicer with irregular shapes, the one I have seems to have oval fruits on every truss, in a very grape-like bunches.
The seeds came from commercial Russian package, straight from the company Aelita.
I guess I'll just waith and see what this turns out to be.. Exciting

I don't mind surprises at all, in fact, I would love to have an extra cherry or grape variety...

Those of you familiar with CV, what's your experience? does it sometimes throw these very oval-shaped fruits?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I made a thread about CV a few years ago: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ight=cosmonaut

I like the variety a lot. Mine were big red tomatoes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yep, mine def doesn't look like yours... Not round at all. I am curious.
Old July 7, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Rechecking Tania's page for it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Cosmonaut_Volkov

Please notice that Marie Danilenko sent seeds to SSE in 1995, she was at that time SSE's main contact in Russia. I was asked to grow out about 20 that she sent as a trial run, and that I did.

What I got were round red fruits and I didn't think the taste was that good,but this variety was bred in memory of the Cosmonaut so I think most at that time were more interested in the history than the variety itself.

Here's another one that was in that same trial batch.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Clear_Pink_Early

Carolyn
Old July 7, 2017   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

The story behind it was one of the reasons I wanted to try it (I was born the same year the Volkov tragedy took place): however, I also read many reviews praising it.

Now it seems I am getting something totally different - not round at all. The source is a Russian commercial company, but perhaps they do have a different version (?) than the one generally known in the West..

Yes, I know that there is a possibility of seedling mix-up, but I doubt it, as I tend to be very pedantic about my seeds and seedlings.

Last edited by NarnianGarden; July 7, 2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old July 8, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
The story behind it was one of the reasons I wanted to try it (I was born the same year the Volkov tragedy took place): however, I also read many reviews praising it.

Now it seems I am getting something totally different - not round at all. The source is a Russian commercial company, but perhaps they do have a different version (?) than the one generally known in the West..

Yes, I know that there is a possibility of seedling mix-up, but I doubt it, as I tend to be very pedantic about my seeds and seedlings.
In my post above I should have described Volkov as being slightly oblate,not round.

As to Russian commercial sites it wasn't that long ago that Tania and Andrey in Belarus and Clara all said that there some you could trust and others you could not.

I remember I got seeds for Pink Flamingo from someone from Russia offering them at e-bay,when I was doing that years ago, and when I searched for info I found all sorts of descriptions for it,asked Tania for help, and she agreed, too many descriptions and they didn't agree so I don't think I ever offered it in a seed offer or distributed seeds otherwise.

Carolyn
Old July 8, 2017   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

The seed company in question was Aelita, one of the better known companies.. But I know mistakes happen, no matter how famous / reputable the provider.

The fruits in my 'CV' plant was definitely grape/ plum shaped. Will be interesting to see how they grow bigger.
I have read that CV throws varied shapes, but these seem to be consistenly like little plums or so.
Old July 8, 2017   #8
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I grow tomato Cosmonaut Volkov for the fifth year. The original seeds I had from the Estonian site, were in the original bag of a Russian company (I do not know which). It is a very fertile red tomato, in my spherical shape, prone to cracking, the average taste. Seeds for next season can send.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0002.JPG (516.0 KB, 217 views)
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have grown so many crosses it isn't funny. This year, I grew a few F1s that were supposed to be beefsteak sized - they grew cherry tomatoes. It wasn't an oversight or mistake on my behalf. I am extremely meticulous about the way I plant things. Crosses happens, and sometimes they are better than the parents.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #10
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes crosses or stray seeds really are better. The fruits remind me of Orange Banana, a variety I grew some years ago, and just loved (the sweetest tomato I have tasted, but lots of BER issues).. I would not mind something similar - but I still hoped to try the real Volkov, for the story behind it, and for the taste that many describe as 'old fashioned' (for my parents).

AlittleSalt, I also like to keep things tidy and organized.. to an outsider, might look like a chaos, but I know where my seeds are, which seedling and plant is which, and so on..
Old July 9, 2017   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, yours look like the one on Tatiana's site and others - definitely not what is growing here now. But surprises are good too.
Old July 9, 2017   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I grow tomato Cosmonaut Volkov for the fifth year. The original seeds I had from the Estonian site, were in the original bag of a Russian company (I do not know which). It is a very fertile red tomato, in my spherical shape, prone to cracking, the average taste. Seeds for next season can send.
Vladimír
So you also got seeds from that Estonian site back when it was a great site.

Clara is the one who called my attention to it, I went there and took a look and back then each one had a picture and then a description,usually in Estonian,and the name of the seed company where they came from which was very important to Clara.But Clara said the Estonian language was close enough to Russian that she could understand it.

Yes,I could recognize weight of fruits in grams and sometimes even shapes and colors when there wasn't a picture.

And I offered many of them in past seed offers here at Tville after seed production was done.

I went back just once and all they were offering were F1 hybrids of this and that and that didn't interest me at all.

Can't remember if I gave the link earlier, so here it is again

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...smonaut_Volkov

I got my seeds from SSE when it was first listed by them in the 1995 Yearbook from initial seeds that Marie Danilenko had sent to SSE.

Carolyn

Carolyn
Old July 9, 2017   #13
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, you gave the link earlier, and that's also where I checked first (I usually do).

Just a sidenote: Estonian is not related to Russian at all, as it's a Fenno-Ugric language, just like Finnish - not Slavic like Russian, Polish, Ukrianian etc.
Old July 9, 2017   #14
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps for the next year I have to request it in the MMMM swap from someone who has grown the real thing, and knows how it is supposed to look and taste. Meanwhile, I enjoy the surprise and see what the results are.
Old July 9, 2017   #15
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Description tomato Cosmonaut Volkov from Aelita:
The plant is tall, indeterminate. The fruits are large, weighing 200-400 g (up to 600 g), rounded, ribbed, fleshy.
On the Estonian site you do not need to know Estonian, sufficient knowledge of one of these four languages: Russian, English, Finnish and Swedish.
https://www.seemnemaailm.ee/
Even though they do not have Cosmonaut Volkov tomato now, it is worth seeing this site.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote