Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old March 16, 2016   #31
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

With the long forming eggplants, do they drag on the ground? Do the fruits need to be staked?

I have a question too before I forget. Do the Asian cultivars have thorns on their leaves? The last time I grew Black Beauty I had a couple of normal looking plants and one that had wicked big thorns all over the leaves. I didn't know if the thorny plant might have been some sort of crossed seed, or something infected from a wild poisonous accidental cross. I wasn't going to take any chances, never having seen thorns on an eggplant before, so I ripped all my plants out that year as I knew the pollinators had been all over them.

This is nice, not only learning about some of the different types, but how to use them. Basically, down here, it is sliced, dipped in egg-wash, flour and fried. The South loves it fried foods. : )

Taboule... I just learned a few days ago what tahine was. They had used it on a cooking show. Thanks for the tip on the watering.

Do these Asian eggplants need any extra fertilizer or special treatment? Do they have alot of foliage? I am thinking about the 4 to 5 months of blistering heat and humidity and wondering if I should put them in a place where they get some filtered shade.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #32
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Starlight >>> With the long forming eggplants, do they drag on the ground? Do the fruits need to be staked?

Nope, no different than any other eggplant. I stake my plants as a general rule, especially when they get loaded.

>>>I have a question too before I forget. Do the Asian cultivars have thorns on their leaves? The last time I grew Black Beauty I had a couple of normal looking plants and one that had wicked big thorns all over the leaves.

I've seen thorns on leaves on different varieties, no big deal.

>>> Taboule... I just learned a few days ago what tahine was. They had used it on a cooking show.

Same recipe can be used to make Hommus: Blend chick peas + tahini + garlic paste + lemon juice. Good old Lebanese dishes.

>>> Do these Asian eggplants need any extra fertilizer or special treatment? Do they have alot of foliage? I am thinking about the 4 to 5 months of blistering heat and humidity and wondering if I should put them in a place where they get some filtered shade.

Again, no different than BB or others. To max out on plant size and production: warm feet early in the spring (I use grey grow bags), plenty of sun, and never let them dry out in the summer.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #33
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Again, no different than BB or others. To max out on plant size and production: warm feet early in the spring (I use grey grow bags), plenty of sun, and never let them dry out in the summer.
Well beyond flavor still a couple of differences. Asian eggplants usually don't keep as long as the Mediterranean vars, because they tend to have really thin skin. On the other hand, they usually mature earlier probably b/c they tend to be volumetrically smaller.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #34
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Yes that's true Scooty, I meant mostly in terms of growing them.

Re size: There are many Mediterranean vars that are small, some as big/small as a plum. We usually cut these longitudinally, stuff with walnuts, garlic and spices, then pickle.

Can you tell I love eggplant ;-)
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #35
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
Well beyond flavor still a couple of differences. Asian eggplants usually don't keep as long as the Mediterranean vars, because they tend to have really thin skin. On the other hand, they usually mature earlier probably b/c they tend to be volumetrically smaller.
I have no luck with the larger eggplant. I'll only get 2 or 3 the most. Otherwise I would
grow the larger ones like black beauty, alongside the asian ones.

I liked all the asian ones I have grown. To me they are all pretty much the same, even
the green one's. Very productive.

The one's I have grown in the past, Machiaw F1, Thai Long Green, Ichiban, Ma-Zu, Casper, Louisiana Long Green, Black Beauty, and Diamond. That's it.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #36
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Starlight >>> With the long forming eggplants, do they drag on the ground? Do the fruits need to be staked?

Nope, no different than any other eggplant. I stake my plants as a general rule, especially when they get loaded.

>>>I have a question too before I forget. Do the Asian cultivars have thorns on their leaves? The last time I grew Black Beauty I had a couple of normal looking plants and one that had wicked big thorns all over the leaves.

I've seen thorns on leaves on different varieties, no big deal.

>>> Taboule... I just learned a few days ago what tahine was. They had used it on a cooking show.

Same recipe can be used to make Hommus: Blend chick peas + tahini + garlic paste + lemon juice. Good old Lebanese dishes.

>>> Do these Asian eggplants need any extra fertilizer or special treatment? Do they have alot of foliage? I am thinking about the 4 to 5 months of blistering heat and humidity and wondering if I should put them in a place where they get some filtered shade.

Thanks for answering all the questions. Big help! I'll definitely keep an extra eye out on the watering. Maybe that's where I am going wrong. I'm going to put in a container this year and put some protective covering around the plants I think to help with the beetles. Oh how I hate them things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
That is good to know. I didn't even think about how long they would keep. Do you keep yours on the counter or put in the fridge? About how long will they last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I have no luck with the larger eggplant. I'll only get 2 or 3 the most. Otherwise I would
grow the larger ones like black beauty, alongside the asian ones.

I liked all the asian ones I have grown. To me they are all pretty much the same, even
the green one's. Very productive.

The one's I have grown in the past, Machiaw F1, Thai Long Green, Ichiban, Ma-Zu, Casper, Louisiana Long Green, Black Beauty, and Diamond. That's it.
That's about what I get too on Black Beauty. Seemed like such alot for work fighting flea beetles day in and day out to only get a couple of fruits. That's why I wondered if the others needed special ferts or something.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #37
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
That is good to know. I didn't even think about how long they would keep. Do you keep yours on the counter or put in the fridge? About how long will they last?
Not really sure on that, as I haven't really consciously done a side by side comparison and recorded time. It's just something I remember from growing both types in the past.

If I would guess, you might be able to keep some of the med varieties for as long as two weeks on the countertop. The asian eggplants are probably a week before they start going downhill.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #38
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Most old varieties have thorns, most on fruit and it's not rare to see them on leaves. That trait was selected out in new varieties.

Long eggplants usually have thin skin as they were selected for different uses. It's not the same cooking with a wok, than stuffing eggplant in the oven. In the later case, hard skin might be a good thing.

Obviously hard skin has longer shelf life.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote