Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2017   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Carolyn,

I hope you will enjoy your own Sgt. Peppers tomatoes this season

I contacted Tollie to ask about antho in the leaves of Sgt Peppers and he sent me the following:

(Google Docs to the rescue)

Anthocyanins in tomato fruits and plants

oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2012/jan/purple-tomato-debuts-%E2%80%98indigo-rose%E2%80%99

Jim Myers, a professor in the OSU horticulture department said:

“Indigo Rose's genesis began in the 1960s, when two breeders – one from Bulgaria and the other from the United States – first crossed-cultivated tomatoes with wild species from Chile and the Galapagos Islands, Myers said. Some wild tomato species have anthocyanins in their fruit, and until now, tomatoes grown in home gardens have had the beneficial pigment only in their leaves and stems, which are inedible.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

academic.oup.com/jhered/article/94/6/449/2187396/Characterization-and-Inheritance-of-the

Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) accession LA1996 with the Anthocyanin fruit (Aft) gene has dark green foliage, elevated anthocyanin expression in the hypocotyls of seedlings, and anthocyanin in the skin and outer pericarp tissues of the fruit.

Vegetative tissues of Aft tomato plants are distinctive. Leaves are darker green and stems contain visibly more purple speckling than do wild-type plants.

Normal tomato genotypes routinely contain anthocyanin in the vegetative parts of the plants but not in the fruit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He also stated that he had personally observed anthocyanin expressed in the leaves and stems of sprouts, seedlings and transplants although the purple coloring seems to disappear in mature plants, it is retained in the stems.

One more exciting thing he said was that he believes that anthocyanin is protective for plants going into cold weather at the end of the season!

Linda
I can't believe that Tollie sent you that first link which was when myers started all his breeding efforts and are known to everyone interested in anthocyanin,originally bred for dietary reasons.

A technician working in his lab took some of the early seeds in the project and offered them,illegally, at Dave's garden,specifically,P20 and another one.Myers did send some seeds to some folks who said they were breeders,some falsely, and they had to sign a contract they weren't to be shared with anyone.So what did I get in the mail, not asked for,were 4 fruits that were purple, I almost gagged when I tried to eat them.

Here's the direct link

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archiv...-rose%E2%80%99

I decided to go back to Tollie's website and see where he got his anthocyanin, and I'm glad I did

http://seasideseeds.weebly.com/sgt-peppers.html

He got it from OSU Blue,which was the first one Myers worked with.

Nor the 2nd one either,which goes back to 2003 and is also very well known.

Now you need the one from England with the snapdragon gene in it and the one from Italy where no one knows where it came from.

Antho on just the fruit or just the foliage, or both? it doesn 't matter to me since I grow tomatoes mainly for taste alone,and that's what I'll always do,and yes,I've grown various variegated ones, angora ones and Stick and others,but mainly out of sheer curiousity.

Again,which scientific journals did you write abstracts for as I asked in the Shingles thread but you didn't answer yet.

Carolyn, who owes Tollie an e-mail sometime,we'll see.
Old May 29, 2017   #32
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Dee, I can only refer you to Tollie's website( he bred the variety) and the pictures he showed as to no antho foliage,I think maybe post #19

Many varieties I've grown as seedlings have purple stems, but I never called them antho, and they weren't antho ones anyway. As the seedlings grew the stems turned green.

Carolyn
I got my seeds directly from Tollie, and I am familiar with his website. I'm am far from an expert on antho tomatoes, and to tell the truth, I'm not a huge fan of them either.

However, of the 7 or 8 antho varieties that I have grown, in every case there was antho in the stem and and leaves, most noticeable when young of course. I would be very surprised to hear of an a plant producing an antho fruit that never showed some amount of darkness in the stem and foliage at some point in it's development. I agree that with mature foliage it's not always as evident because the green color seems to dominate. I've never grown two different antho varieties side by side, so can't say if dark leaves vary much by variety.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #33
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

Mayo's Delight and Magila Rosa have interesting variations.
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #34
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing several novelty foliage varieties this year including Variegated, Potato Leaf Variegated, Faelan's First Snow, Woolly Blue Jay, Smoky Mountain, Velvet Red, Persik & (supposedly) Kitayskiy Oksamitoviy.

I don't think the latter is true to form, though, as it's yellowish, instead of blue-green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Variegated.jpg (308.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Potato Leaf Variegated.jpg (423.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Faelan's First Snow.jpg (454.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Woolly Blue Jay.jpg (226.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Smoky Mountain.jpg (420.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Smoky Mountain & Velvet Red.jpg (521.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Persik.jpg (289.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Kitayskiy Oksamitoviy 2.jpg (394.8 KB, 112 views)
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #35
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Lovely, very healthy looking young plants, nyrfan! So fun to see the vast variety of foliage possible in tomatoes! I especially like your PL variegated, I've never grown that one. I'm helping grow out some of the Acey dwarf project here, and am tickled with seeing the rugose variegated foliage dwarfs coming out there.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017   #36
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

This year i'm growing Solanum galapagense tomatoes. Their foliage is really cool! I'm also growing a Solanum pennellii F1 hybrid from the TGRC this year as well. Not sure if there is a way to retain or backcross the Solanum pennellii foliage or not, but that would be super cool. Especially since they have waxy leaves and have desert tolerance.

Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #37
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

All this talk of anthro stuff ...

I went out and got a Blue berries tomato seedling to see what all the

buzz was about ,,,,,,,
Old June 14, 2017   #38
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Novelty Unique "Blossoms" as aesthetic value ?

How about if there was a variety ...that did not have ...striking

foliage per say .....BUT....the blossoms were very distinct or different

and worthy of honorable aesthetic mention ????

are there such candidates out there for consideration ?
Old June 14, 2017   #39
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Black Bear- going back to Sgt. Pepper's, I think that Jason Haynes has bred a remarkable tomato plant. It has wispy foliage and stems that are quite "hairy", or fuzzy, particularly at the main growth stems. The stalks themselves retain their purple color, particularly when exposed to full sun. It makes beautiful, large, and pointy hearts in large quantities. I cannot comment on flavor quite yet.

The blossoms are indeed unique. Never have I seen sepals so long on any variety! And the blossoms are quite elongated- I had some that were over 2 inches long before opening. Also, the pedicle is quite long compared to others. It's a neat blossom, and a very unique plant all-around, I think!

Darin
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
How about if there was a variety ...that did not have ...striking

foliage per say .....BUT....the blossoms were very distinct or different

and worthy of honorable aesthetic mention ????

are there such candidates out there for consideration ?
Yes, there are many such candidates.Worthy is another question..
here's just one,while I think of some others

Well Tania doesn't list it so I had to Google and came up with a wonderful thread, actually from here at Tville, so if I had done a search here first I probably would have found it more quickly

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15731

And of the ones mentioned in the above link I think I've grown most of them,which is where the worthy part comes in.

Carolyn
Old June 14, 2017   #41
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Black Bear- going back to Sgt. Pepper's, I think that Jason Haynes has bred a remarkable tomato plant. It has wispy foliage and stems that are quite "hairy", or fuzzy, particularly at the main growth stems. The stalks themselves retain their purple color, particularly when exposed to full sun. It makes beautiful, large, and pointy hearts in large quantities. I cannot comment on flavor quite yet.

The blossoms are indeed unique. Never have I seen sepals so long on any variety! And the blossoms are quite elongated- I had some that were over 2 inches long before opening. Also, the pedicle is quite long compared to others. It's a neat blossom, and a very unique plant all-around, I think!

Darin
Sounds like another interesting one.

hmmmmmmm will eventually have to look at this on too ..
Old June 14, 2017   #42
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

There seems to be some variability in the Sgt.peppers. I am growing it and have grown a number of antho tomatoes in the past. There is always some evidence of the Anthocyanin in the stems and foliage but not like this, check this out.
This particular specimen is so purple it's black.
Dracula's best Halloween tomato.
Wispy Hearts often have elongated buds but particularly so in this case.
Hideous plant and I look forward to seeing what it does if it doesn't die from not enough chlorophyll?
This is not typical of the variety, more antho than normal in the stem and foliage from what I have seen of other folk's plants. Has yet to set a fruit and looks a little stressed although planted and cared for as all my other normal plants.
Anyhow, have you looked at the plants, dwarfs with lime green chartreuse foliage black bear? There are some ,Cherokee tiger large red for example. They look very different.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9109.jpg (664.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9108.jpg (464.8 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by KarenO; June 15, 2017 at 12:29 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #43
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes, there are many such candidates.Worthy is another question..
here's just one,while I think of some others

Well Tania doesn't list it so I had to Google and came up with a wonderful thread, actually from here at Tville, so if I had done a search here first I probably would have found it more quickly

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15731

And of the ones mentioned in the above link I think I've grown most of them,which is where the worthy part comes in.

Carolyn

hey Thanks Carolyn ..that is a good thread ...

It is very informative ....I
am currently growing

lutescent and Zolotoe Serdtse

have grown bursztyn before perhaps I should have paid a bit more attention

to the blossoms .....OR.....perhaps you may be right ...worthy is another

question in this tangent ....LOL

Will have to try Sergent Peppers variety too...
....(50th anniversary edition ...LOL)
Old June 14, 2017   #44
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Litchi is one that has blossoms that are distinct. They are the prettiest we have ever seen, but the plant ... that's another story. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...nformation.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bee-litchi-tomato.jpg (34.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg litchi-tomatoes-thorns2.JPG (86.4 KB, 71 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #45
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen101 View Post
This year i'm growing Solanum galapagense tomatoes. Their foliage is really cool! I'm also growing a Solanum pennellii F1 hybrid from the TGRC this year as well. Not sure if there is a way to retain or backcross the Solanum pennellii foliage or not, but that would be super cool. Especially since they have waxy leaves and have desert tolerance.

If you grew these ...beside Silvery fir and Fuzzy Wuzzy there would be no confusion of which plant was which at all.......