Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old January 28, 2015   #1
kimsbug
Tomatovillian™

Default New to Florida, not new to heirloom gardening

Hi all, I'm new to Florida (at least living here full time anyway). I've been growing heirloom tomatoes for about 8 years in Missouri. I haven't gotten my garden area ready yet but plan to do so next week. I realize the varieties I've been growing there may not do so well here so if anyone has any specific varieties they've done well with, please share the names with me I'm near Brooksville, an hour or so north of Tampa.

Thanks to all and happy gardening!
Old January 28, 2015   #2
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to THE PLACE. ENJOY AND SHARE.

JON
Old January 28, 2015   #3
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Glad to have another Florida gardener here. Honestly most varieties do well if you plant them early enough. And of course fall tomatoes often do better than summer ones.
Old January 28, 2015   #4
kimsbug
Tomatovillian™

That's for the replies all! I plan to have the plants in the ground by March 1 so that would mean tomatoes by June 1. Another question, do you all add compost or manure to the soil before planting? If I don't do this, is just fertilizing enough?
Old January 28, 2015   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Welcome from S Florida.More info at.

http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175

For my heat and humidity I have better results with the cherrys.If anything the larger blacks seem to do well also.

Last edited by kurt; January 28, 2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old January 28, 2015   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsbug View Post
Hi all, I'm new to Florida (at least living here full time anyway). I've been growing heirloom tomatoes for about 8 years in Missouri. I haven't gotten my garden area ready yet but plan to do so next week. I realize the varieties I've been growing there may not do so well here so if anyone has any specific varieties they've done well with, please share the names with me I'm near Brooksville, an hour or so north of Tampa.

Thanks to all and happy gardening!
I have a seed offer going right now, for Self Addressed Stamped Envelope. All are growing right now in South Florida, and doing well. The plant out timing is the most important thing, and due to Florida's nematodes and the terrible root knots they cause with subsequent malnutrition, many of us garden in containers. I use Earthboxes because they are completely closed off at the bottom, and are self watering.
Old January 28, 2015   #7
kimsbug
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I've been reading about nematodes in Florida soil. I had considered making a raised bed, I just hated to spend the money on adding soil back to it but I guess if it's the only way I can harvest tomatoes I may have to.
Old January 29, 2015   #8
MikeBiondo

Welcome from another Missourian!

Mike-