Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 16, 2017   #16
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

How do you pickle zucs? Like cucumbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
And they can get really big as the season goes on, and can become very firm which makes it perfect for pickling and preserving in oil. .
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
How do you pickle zucs? Like cucumbers?

I use this recipe, except I substitute dried basil and oregano for the mint -- http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/reci...d-mint-1970921

Addictive and excellent a served up with a slice of good Italian bread and a glass of wine, or as part of an antipasti plate. Traditionally, though, they're served as a side dish with a meal.

You need "baseball bat" zucchini (the ones you didn't around to picking for a few days...) to make them as they need to be dense and with a bit of snap. Tender, young zucchini will just get mushy.

I use a similar recipe for eggplant, and last year I tried it with mushrooms.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #18
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

The younger zucchini make a good refrigerator pickle. Works really well with a bread-and-butter brine. Great on sandwiches. I cut them lengthwise into long ribbons for this.

I make regular pickles from older squash, cut into medallions, boiling water process, etc.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017   #19
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Rugosa Friulana is really seriously good tasting.
OMG, they're amazing. Sweet, nutty, dense, no chalkiness or grittiness at all. My only complaint is that I'd love to be inundated in them, but I only planted 2, and one got cucurbit yellow vine decline from squash bugs, so I had to pull it. The other is healthy but only setting one squash at a time right now.

I re-sowed to replace the other plant, but they're slow to get going. I think because they're moschatas. Next year, I'll start them much earlier.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017   #20
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post

Where my garlic had been, I just started some seeds for Cocozelle (from Victory) which sound very similar to Striata D'Italia (from Franchi). I want to see if they are really the same with different names.

And I'll have to see what order its flowers arrive in.

All four Cocozelle plants are just starting to produce a bunch of male flowers with no females in sight, so I guess things are back to normal.

The two Green Tiger and one Striata D'Italia are still pumping out more zucchini than I know what to do with... what the heck was I thinking when I started four more????

Does Rugosa Friulana grow on a bushy vs vining plant? If a bush, I may need to try it next year.
Old September 3, 2017   #21
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The Cocozzelle plants have kicked into high gear and are producing giant sized zucchini! If I leave them just one or two days too long, they explode.

That's one of my cherry tomatoes sitting on top. Great for using in the pickling recipe I posted earlier in this thread.
Old September 3, 2017   #22
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Whew, glad it wasn't a Brandywine!

Honestly, very pretty squash! Glad to hear they are so tasty!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2017   #23
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Whew, glad it wasn't a Brandywine!

Honestly, very pretty squash! Glad to hear they are so tasty!

Not a Brandywine, but a bit bigger than your average cherry. My Franchi cherry circa 2012 on the left, a Sweet Million off my neighbor's plant on the right.