Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 26, 2018   #91
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Hey Drew, pass these pics around to the fig community and try to help identify this type of fig tree.

Here's a few pics of my uncles tree and figs, He said the Spring crop of figs is bigger and I can attest to that. They weren't breba figs either, this was a full crop of figs with the tree loaded. If I'm correct the breba crop is less than main crop. ??

The last two pics are from the tree I started last fall and planted this Spring.

Any idea what this tree could be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181026_150625.JPG (315.8 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 20181026_150709.JPG (288.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 20181026_150659.JPG (186.6 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3167.JPG (235.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3168.JPG (206.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3169.JPG (212.9 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3173.JPG (321.4 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3171.JPG (326.5 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20181024_162424.JPG (297.1 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 20181024_162407 (1).JPG (204.6 KB, 165 views)
Old October 26, 2018   #92
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I don't know what it is, but I will ask around. Yes breba is a smaller crop.
So did your Uncle bring it here? Anything you know about the tree could help. Where is it growing? And so that small tree is your clone of the tree?
LA has a long history with figs. I have only been in LA once. Had a great time. Another grower from LA sent me some cuttings of some of the LSU figs and yet another sent me Louisiana Green Honey. A found fig, many exist in that state. Also LSU left a lot of test trees that never made it to being named. many of those going around too.
Your fig looks unique, good shots of the fruit and leaves. I will get back to you if any of the experts know what it is. They may not? I'll trade cuttings for it any time. Anyway see what I can find out....
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2018   #93
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Two boys from Tennessee

Two boys from Tennessee were with me next to a fig tree loaded with ripe and unripe figs.
"What are these?" 'one proclaimed.
They are figs.
What are figs?
They are a fruit.
I picked a ripe one and ate it.
The others said they are soft and rotten and picked the firm ones to eat.
I wouldn't do that, I said.
But not listening to me they ate the ones that still had the white latex in them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2018   #94
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

All I know is what he told me about the tree. About 25 years ago he was working at a sheet metal fab shop in Lafayette La and an old guy came in asking for sheet metal to plug holes in his barn and my uncle gave him a bunch of scraps. A few days later the old guy came back and brought him the tree for the metal. He said he breed the tree in Lafayette. He's never seen the guy again.

Yes that small tree is a clone, I grew it through winter in the greenhouse and planted it in Spring. One thing I noticed about transplanting fig trees is they grow fast if I use dried kelp in the planting hole. I used Maxi-Crop kelp meal.

I was on Fig4Fun a while before it got taken down. I know Gene from Houma from another site. I also bought cutting from Tohomaguy2 on ourfigs. I can't remember what he sent and the tags have worn off. I know it was Black Mission, Desert King and 3 others. Maybe I'll shoot him an email and see if he remembers.

I'm up for a trade, I took cuttings yesterday from his tree. If possible I'd like to find a dark fig with a closed eye when ripe. We always have rains right at harvest time and Celeste isn't great at that.
Old October 27, 2018   #95
drew51
Tomatovillian™

One that fits that bill is Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley. It is a very good dark fig. Eye is tight, resists rain, humidity and dew very well. Top 5 fig here. I probably have other good ones, but they are too new to me to observe all characteristics. I have had the Bekaa 4 years now.
Mt Etna types resist splitting too, such as the common Hardy Chicago. I have many others Sal's EL, MBVS, and Malta Black are my favorite Mt Etna types. I will send PM.

We also have the black figs but most split easy, still testing about 4 of them to see what works best here.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2018   #96
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default I feel like singing about figs!

Oh, bring us some figgy pudding
And bring it right here.

Etc., etc., etc.

Donna
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2019   #97
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I would like to get more into figs. I bought a Chicago Hardy years ago that I was able to grow quite well in a container (and wintering them in a garage during winter.) The varieties are overwhelming (and costly) so I'm wondering if anyone is pruning theirs before they break dormancy? PM please!
Old February 24, 2019   #98
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
And bring it right here.

Etc., etc., etc.

Donna
Lol, priceless.
Old February 25, 2019   #99
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Hello fig people. I am not a fig person.

This was a single tree, possibly brown turkey, planted over five years ago, then left completely alone. I counted 12 little treelets, tallest is about three feet, down to maybe six inches.

Can I take a sharp spade to this, divide each into its own little rooted tree, and re-plant them all? (Central Virginia, zone 7.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fig.jpg (687.6 KB, 100 views)
Old February 25, 2019   #100
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't use a spade to divide them. First you need to clean all the weeds out of there and keep it weed free so the tree gets the nutrients and not the weeds, mulch it with leaves if you can.

I would leave the four big branches and trim the rest off. You might be able to dig around the smaller shoots and clip them with pruning shears with a few small roots. Don't dig enough to bother the main plant. Fig cuttings root easy with a little rooting hormone and moist potting soil or google figs in peat moss.

With that said it really depends what you find when you weed the tree.

Good Luck on your cuttings!!!
Old February 26, 2019   #101
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

>> Fig cuttings root easy with a little rooting hormone

Can I root dormant cuttings?
Old February 26, 2019   #102
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it's the preferred method.
Old March 5, 2019   #103
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
I'll trade cuttings for it any time.
Every cutting you sent is pushing new growth, these were potted at the end of November and have been sitting on the ground in the greenhouse in the shade.

Old March 5, 2019   #104
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

These aren't my pics or cuttings but wanted to share. It's just another way to start figs from a one node cutting and it's a great way to get more trees from expensive cuttings.
Copied quote from original post.
"This is why I use one node cuttings a lot. You can really stretch your cuttings for one thing. It seems like the root quicker than full length cuttings as well. Maybe it’s just me though... I use damp, not wet, peat moss and a disposable lasagna pan with the supplied clear lid. Takes about 3 weeks to get here. I completely bury the cuttings with about 1/2” of peat moss. No heat mat, just keep room at 72-73 degrees. Works for me, hope it sheds some light to others. These are Raspberry Latte and VdB. Smallest is 1-1/2”, largest is 2-1/2”."
The original post can be found here.

I pruned my Celeste tree last week and started cuttings I don't need to try a different technique than above. If anybody wants a tree contact me when I post about these rooting.
Old March 12, 2019   #105
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

12 days and I have roots, some growing above the soil line.

I kept these in the junk room without light except what comes in from closed blinds. The first 4 days I had them on a heat mat with the top closed, the next 4 days I unplugged the heat mat and cracked the bin about halfway open. I noticed tip burn from drying out to soon so I put the heat mat back on for one day and closed the lid. The mat has been off and I have it barely cracked open.

I checked a few minutes ago and noticed roots growing above the soil line that dried out some and I pulled a few to check on root development. They're growing like crazy, faster than my usual way of throwing them in a pot and just let it sit.