Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2010   #181
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I ordered Carolyn's Book through our local library. Picked it up yesterday afternoon and have been reading and pouring over the pages like a mad-woman. Amazing book!

Woke up extra early this morn. Put on a big pot of tea, and sat in my chair drooling over the photo's and descriptions of all the diff. variety of Tom's she has listed..some are known to me, and I have grown..but some are new to me, and would love to try..

Worth, I love the antique wheelbarrow ! We live on my husbands Centennial family farm. We have a wheelbarrow similar to Carolyns that needs some TLC to put it back together..hopefully we will get it done this spring and place in our front yard also..Good luck with the project!
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2010   #182
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
I ordered Carolyn's Book through our local library. Picked it up yesterday afternoon and have been reading and pouring over the pages like a mad-woman. Amazing book!

Woke up extra early this morn. Put on a big pot of tea, and sat in my chair drooling over the photo's and descriptions of all the diff. variety of Tom's she has listed..some are known to me, and I have grown..but some are new to me, and would love to try..

Worth, I love the antique wheelbarrow ! We live on my husbands Centennial family farm. We have a wheelbarrow similar to Carolyns that needs some TLC to put it back together..hopefully we will get it done this spring and place in our front yard also..Good luck with the project!
All of Tom's varieties? Nope, I only listed Green Grape and Green Zebra and did so b'c they've been so popular with others, but not so much with me.

These days I think Green Doctors is a better variety than Green Grape and Green Zebra, well, for me it's always been too tart. But I listed a Green Zebra Cherry in my seed offer and I love the taste of that one.

Glad you find my book helpful.
Old February 4, 2010   #183
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

All of Tom's varieties? Nope, I only listed Green Grape and Green Zebra and did so b'c they've been so popular with others, but not so much with me.

LOL, Carolyn..You are having a great day today! Your sense of humor is contagious..

I also did not like the Green Zebra..That was my free pack of seeds from BC for three years in a row. But will give Green Zebra Cherry a chance some day..Thank's!

Ginny, who occasionally writes in shorthand. Tom's = Tomatoes..
Old February 4, 2010   #184
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ginny, who occasionally writes in shorthand. Tom's = Tomatoes

**** Oh. You shouldn't do that to me b'c to me Tom's means Tom's as in Tom Wagner's varieties.
Old February 4, 2010   #185
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, who occasionally writes in shorthand. Tom's = Tomatoes

**** Oh. You shouldn't do that to me b'c to me Tom's means Tom's as in Tom Wagner's varieties.

Oh but Carolyn..It made for a fun and interesting reply I have been smiling all day!
Plus I received some very useful information about the GZC..I never would have thought about trying! Till now. Thanks.

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; February 4, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old February 4, 2010   #186
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

I recently got Carolyn's book, and I really love it. I appreciate hearing about not only the strengths but the weaknesses and limitations of certain varieties; seed catalogs often omit or gloss over these.

The only thing I was confused about was that zone 9 and 10 were mentioned to have 2 tomato seasons to avoid the heat of summer, but I have always heard that here in zone 8b we do as well. Perhaps I am just not good enough at growing them? I am a bit of a tyro, my skills stagnant from long years of apartment living. Or maybe this is related to Central Texas weather, and is not shared with most of zone 8b.

Anyways, it is an excellent book, and I am going to be swimming in seeds because of it! I also loved the section on dehybridization... I might use that to stabilize some heat-tolerant hybrids.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2010   #187
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Default just picked up the book

I picked up a copy myself. By far the best tomato book I've read/purchased. Great job Carolyn. You should be proud.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2010   #188
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Eagerly awaiting my copy to arrive.

Last edited by Timmah!; June 11, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2010   #189
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Just realized I'm 1/5 of the way there...I've grown 20 out of 100!
Old June 11, 2010   #190
Impatient
Tomatovillian™

I got Carolyn's book in the winter. It carried me through the dark, gardenless months and helped me plan my 2010 planting strategy. With one exception, everything is from the book. I carry it with me when I go to farmer's markets just in case I see something I want to know more about. Yes, I am a bit obsessed. I can't wait until they start ripening.
Impatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2010   #191
Gerris2
Tomatovillian™

Default What is book title, please?

Hi everyone,

My apologies if the information to my question was posted earlier in the thread, but what is the title of Carolyn's book, please? I am reading the thread on my BlackBerry handheld device and may have missed it. Thanks much.

From a new Tomatoville member,

Joseph

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Gerris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2010   #192
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerris2 View Post
Hi everyone,

My apologies if the information to my question was posted earlier in the thread, but what is the title of Carolyn's book, please? I am reading the thread on my BlackBerry handheld device and may have missed it. Thanks much.

From a new Tomatoville member,

Joseph
Joseph, the title of the book can be found in the second post of this now long thread.
Old June 11, 2010   #193
Gerris2
Tomatovillian™

Boy do I feel silly LOL sorry about that and thank you for helping me out!

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Gerris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #194
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

I bought my wife the new Nook at Barnes and Noble...haven't found it as an E-book yet but I wanted to read her book while on vacation...no luck as a download yet.
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #195
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, is there any chance you will do a version two of this book? I page thru it repeatedly and only wish it were longer!
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote