Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 2, 2007   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Another pre-soaker here. Excellent germination %.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2007   #17
'mater
Tomatovillian™

I can't say I religiously soak my seeds, but I did pick up on the practice after reading about it elsewhere in a thread about starting stubborn seeds. Had a batch of Black Cherry that had failed to sprout even one the year previous so I soaked the remaining 12 hoping to get a couple to sprout and ended up with 12 plants (Great, where do I try to cram these guys? Tried to find places for them in my garden but ended up without eating a ripe tomato from even one due to a series of plagues that beset me this past season (but that's another story).

Anyway, I've found it a useful technique and will undoubtedly use it more in the future. FWIW seed soaking is useful for starting other veggies, herbs, flowers, etc. (if you happen to start things other than tomatoes).
'mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2007   #18
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

After reading this...It got me to thinking. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of old seeds that had been misplaced due to several moves in past years. I found it recently and was amazed at all the different seeds that I had saved...most being from 1996. There are alot of heirloom flower seeds and I am going to try this method and see if I can save some of these. Thanks for starting this topic and sharing your method!!!!
Plant Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #19
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Last year I planted a bunch of seeds in soil-less mix and the germination rate was approximately 80%. With some seeds that I started later (two types of cukes, Black Cherry, and Stupice) I used the wrung-out paper towel and baggie method. For these seeds I had 100% germination. I am going to use the baggie method exclusively this year. I believe it helps the germination rate and makes it happen faster.
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote