Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 19, 2012   #16
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Here is a few pictures taken today. The first two are Carbon Copy which are turning a beautiful bronze color. I did eat two of them yesterday and they were good but not fantastic. I have some cool nights and daytime highs in the lower 80s and I think the really good flavor will come with hotter weather. These set fruit last year in 100 degree heat and flavor was excellent. I will monitor the flavor and will post again when the flavor is what it is supposed to be.
The last two pictures are of two Indian Stripe plants that are also going crazy with fruit set. I have 58 plants set out and all are looking great with multiple fruit set on everyone. So far no disease or pest to deal with and no hornworms either. Going so good that it scares me sometimes.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012   #17
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Here is a few pictures taken today. The first two are Carbon Copy which are turning a beautiful bronze color. I did eat two of them yesterday and they were good but not fantastic. I have some cool nights and daytime highs in the lower 80s and I think the really good flavor will come with hotter weather. These set fruit last year in 100 degree heat and flavor was excellent. I will monitor the flavor and will post again when the flavor is what it is supposed to be.
The last two pictures are of two Indian Stripe plants that are also going crazy with fruit set. I have 58 plants set out and all are looking great with multiple fruit set on everyone. So far no disease or pest to deal with and no hornworms either. Going so good that it scares me sometimes.

ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carbon copy 5-19-12 001.jpg (320.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg carbon copy 5-19-12 002.jpg (311.1 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg carbon copy 5-19-12 003.jpg (371.4 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg carbon copy 5-19-12 004.jpg (152.5 KB, 297 views)
Old August 4, 2015   #18
tomatoaddict

Here's today's photo of Carbon Copy. Love this one!!!! [IMG][/IMG]
Old June 7, 2016   #19
shule1

Are Carbon Copy and Ron's Carbon Copy one and the same?

Edit: Woops, I thought this was a different, newer thread about this tomato. I guess the question works here, too, though.
Old June 7, 2016   #20
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
Are Carbon Copy and Ron's Carbon Copy one and the same?

Edit: Woops, I thought this was a different, newer thread about this tomato. I guess the question works here, too, though.
Indeed they are and they are spectacular!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #21
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

My 2015 Ron's CC took a month to germinate. Did anyone else have this problem?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #22
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I planted my saved seed from 2015 and had no problem. It is a prolific plant, it grows quickly, has IMO just the right amount of foliage. For the 2nd year in a row is the tallest plant in my garden at this point of the year, just ahead of Sungold F1, but Sungold F1 will ripen first.
Old June 7, 2016   #23
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I have one Ron's CC in the ground and it is doing well. No ripe fruit yet but it has some fruit on it.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #24
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post

Linda
Mine took 4 days.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #25
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all who are enjoying Rons Carbon Copy. Just to clarify, Carbon Copy was my working name for the tomato while I was trying to stabilize it. After 6years it was stable and I renamed it Rons Carbon Copy. It is being sold at a few seed venues across the USA as Rons Carbon Copy. They are one and the same and are incredible in flavor and the most vigorous grower ever. Many 100s from one plant

Thanks again
ron
Old June 7, 2016   #26
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for a great tomato Ron and I will reference it as Ron's Carbon Copy in swaps, etc.
Old June 7, 2016   #27
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post

Linda
Mine took about one and a half to two months to germinate, I think, but it's doing fine, now. (I started it in early to mid March in an unheated Strong Camel 6'x5'x3' greenhouse in a mixture of mostly worm castings with some peat moss, and I think it sprouted in mid to late April (potentially early May). Most of my varieties took at least two weeks to germinate in those conditions, except the Pink Missouri Love Apple I started a few weeks later in a foam cup instead of seed-starting cells—maybe the insulation helped; it took about four days to sprout.)

I imagine my Ron's Carbon Copy seeds were probably damaged in the mail or something (although they were packaged well; so, it might have just been the freezing temperatures in the mail). So, seeds I save from the fruit will hopefully germinate faster. Most of the varieties I got from growers in Florida took a long time to germinate, too. It could just be the different climates, and them not being used to the conditions.

Ron's Carbon Copy was not the last to germinate, for me, however. There were a few that came after. Orange Cherry from dianeseeds.com took a super long time, for instance (but it had an excellent germination rate). The other stuff from dianeseeds.com I planted germinated very quickly by comparison. Mule Team, a PI accession number tomato from Mexico, and maybe a few others also took longer. Tarasenko 6 and Burbank Slicing never germinated, unfortunately (and I'm out of seeds, I think). I have 101 varieties transplanted in the garden, if I counted right.

Anyway, I'm excited for Ron's Carbon Copy.

Last edited by shule1; June 7, 2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old June 7, 2016   #28
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipchip2000 View Post
Thanks to all who are enjoying Rons Carbon Copy. Just to clarify, Carbon Copy was my working name for the tomato while I was trying to stabilize it. After 6years it was stable and I renamed it Rons Carbon Copy. It is being sold at a few seed venues across the USA as Rons Carbon Copy. They are one and the same and are incredible in flavor and the most vigorous grower ever. Many 100s from one plant

Thanks again
ron
Thank you very much for the information! I look forward to this tomato quite a bit.
Old June 7, 2016   #29
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

My favorite,must grow cherry tomato. Great producer of large,blackish cherries that taste like a big tomato. They are sweet but but also have a wonderful depth of flavor.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2016   #30
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

I harvested about a pint of SunGold this morning and it appears the first Carbon Copys by the weekend. Love this time of year

ron