Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2011   #1
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Default Getting back to seed starting and gardening after a 2 yr break.

I haven't done very much gardening the past two summers. I haven't canned tomatoes or salsa the last two summers either. I planted a few tomatoes and peppers that I purchased but that was about it. Now I have 2 years of weeds to clean up! I really want to have a nice, big garden this year and do a lot of canning. I don't see that the gas prices are going to go down any time soon and I think food prices will be higher because of it. I'm a little late with my seed starting. I planned to get my peppers started last week, but it never happened. I'm going to do it today and also start some tomatoes and then some more in a couple of weeks. I'm just wondering how to get back into it with out feeling overwhelmed??? I'd forgotten how hard having a busy toddler is!!! It will be nice when school is out so my older kids can entertain her and I can get more done!
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2011   #2
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

SOOOOOO GLAD to have you back. How's the kiddo?

LarryD
Old March 23, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And I second Larry's welcome back as well.

So what is it that's overwhelming you?

Need the help of my two cat kids?

Need someone to dig and rototill?

Plant seeds and raise seedlings?

What do you need help with?

What we can do, I guess, is to be as supportive as we can.

You can always tether the toddler to a long lead from a nearby tree. Yes?
Old March 23, 2011   #4
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

It is good to be back! I got my peppers planted. Three varieties of bells, some Sweet Banana, Cubanelle's and a few other frying type, and two hot. I was going to plant some green chilis, but it seems I am out. I guess that is what happens when I don't go through my seeds for 2 yrs. I did it on the front steps. All was good until I looked down for one minute and my baby girl was across the street! So I brought her back and she "helped" for a bit and then I had to resort to buckling her in the stroller while I finished up. I'll do the tomatoes tonight.

What is overwhelming? I think it is just that I have a lot of work to do in the garden, but the work or raising 4 kids makes it hard to get to the garden. I figured that I would have to do about 10 loads of laundry a week just to stay caught up, and that doesn't count when I have to play catch up---which is where I'm at now. Also, my DH isn't a gardener and not much help. My kids are getting bigger so maybe this is the year I get them more involved. My 10 and 12 yr old mow the lawn, so that is nice. Now I need to teach them how to weed and prepare a garden bed.

I still have to pull out last years Raspberry canes and thin out my patch too. I cleaned out my front flower bed a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe how much crap accumulated there from 2 yrs of neglect!
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2011   #5
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Wonderful to see you posting again. You have your hands full. Could you hire someone in exchange for future produce to till your garden? piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #6
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Have you had "spring break" yet? Ours starts after school is out today so does one week of hubby's vacation so the older kids and he can entertain the younger ones while I work on potting up 3k tomato seedlings. (which I don't have room for, so will end up rotating time on the light stands...aaargh) I have seven kiddos myself, from 6 - 20, so I know how it can get. Nothing gets done as well or as often as I'd like but eventually, it gets done, don't stress about it. Your middle schoolers can wash and dry laundry and leave the folding for you, they can also unload the dishwasher, that always helps. Also, give yourself permission to pick up some paper plates to cut down on dishes during busy times and sandwiches can be made in quantity in the morning for kids to help themselves come lunchtime, and one skillet dinners or casseroles are great time savers for dinners when time is short, as is the crock-pot. Giving the little ones their own 72 cell to fill with dirt and plant marigolds or something similar that they might like will keep them next to you and busy for a while. Sometimes my older kids grouse about helping in the garden, but I mostly use their help with planting out and harvest and try to do most of the weeding myself so they get a little break in the middle. They can always earn a few extra bucks from me for special garden projects like cleaning out the asparagus or strawberry beds. My younger girls love to help pick the sugar snaps and strawberries though, eating them as they go. I got them their own "earth tainer" type garden this year and they are excited to plant it over break. Start what you can, buy what you can't. Hire help for what you aren't able to do yourself, check local papers in the spring for people who till gardens for as little as $20. You'll get there, bit by bit, don't let it overwhelm you, and delegate. Even my skills poor hubby can dig holes or pound stakes for planting out tomatoes with me right beside him to make sure he doesn't drive a stake through a stem (since I trench plant my tomatoes). He can also help out with clean up after dinner while the kids take their baths and I get in an hour of gardening before dark.
Wishing you the best of luck! From someone who knows the challenges
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Welcome back.

The best way not to be overwhelmed is to not let the garden overwhelm you. Try not to do it ALL this first year back.

If you really need help tilling and weeding, tell hubby the TV remote is buried somewhere in the garden.

Tormato
P.S. And don't let your seeds get lost again.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote