Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2011   #1
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Default Early varieties - should I start my seeds later?

Starting seeds in next few days, should be 8-9 weeks from starting to setting out/planting if all goes well, just wondering whether starting early varieties (i.e. 50-60 dtm) should be put off for a week or two.

Also, because of our rather short season I am probably going to start enough of some of my varieties to put some in the ground quite early, just to see if they make it, and if they don't I will have a replacement of that variety ready to go in after last frost date...hoping that a few brandy sudduths can get in early enough to allow them to get established and start flowering and setting fruit before heat and humidity take hold.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I had a neighbor that would always plant about 30 tomatoes 2-3 weeks before our safe planting date. He then put up his big CRW cages supported wit a fence post and wrapped the cage with clear plastic. The top of the cage was open. By the time he would take the plastic off around the end of June, the plants would be growing out the top of the cages.

I don't know for sure how he handled cold nites, but if you have several jugs of water in the cage and cover it with plastic or a blanket on cold nites they should do well.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #3
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Anthony,

Start them at the same time as the others unless you don't want the early ones to be early. I started a couple of my earliest with my pepper seeds last week just so they might come in even earlier than normal.

barkeater
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #4
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
Anthony,

Start them at the same time as the others unless you don't want the early ones to be early. I started a couple of my earliest with my pepper seeds last week just so they might come in even earlier than normal.

barkeater
Agreed...my seedlings usually start flowering (or fruiting) well before they are set out, if the "earlies" seem too aggressive then I can always pinch off a few blossoms.
Old March 22, 2011   #5
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I had a neighbor that would always plant about 30 tomatoes 2-3 weeks before our safe planting date. He then put up his big CRW cages supported wit a fence post and wrapped the cage with clear plastic. The top of the cage was open. By the time he would take the plastic off around the end of June, the plants would be growing out the top of the cages.

I don't know for sure how he handled cold nites, but if you have several jugs of water in the cage and cover it with plastic or a blanket on cold nites they should do well.

Carol
I figure I might as well give it a try...if I do I will post results.