Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 16, 2011   #1
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Default Epsoma Organic Potting Mix

Normally, I use Fox Farms Light Warrior for seed starting and potting up. This year, I used up my Light Warrior on some seeds and am trying Epsoma's Organic Seed Starter on the others. Both products seem to be working equally as well. Now I am ready to pot up into the next size container and have picked up Epsoma's Organic Potting Mix. The difference between the two Epsoma products is that the seed starter has 75-85% sphagnum peat moss while the potting mix has 45-55% sphagnum peat moss. Do you think I will be ok using the potting mix now or will there be a benefit to sticking with the seed starting mix for potting up?
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #2
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

I do use Espoma Starting and Poting mixes, with addition of 1 part of worm castings. I have absolutely no issues with the potting mix, and actually prefer it for it's texture and how plants respond in my early seedling stages other mixes.

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #3
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, D. I have some castings too, so I will mix that in. Glad to be able to use what I have around here.
Old March 16, 2011   #4
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Good deal, and I'm sure you will be pleased with result!

Happy growing!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #5
attml
Tomatovillian™

I used Espoma this year and had 100% germination on 40 seed cells with the most cells containing only 3 -5 seed. I had 1 or two cells that had 6 seeds. It may be beginners luck but needless to say I am very happy with the results!
attml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #6
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Great to hear that! It seems somewhat denser than Light Warrior (which has worked very well for me too) and able to hold water better.