Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 15, 2011   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default My Grow List, Need a Bit of Decision Help

Hi All,
It is getting down to the wire. I've got most of my list made up. I have a few this or thats in italics on the list. I would appreciate comments on those, but of course comments on any are welcome.
Thanks!
Remy

Red/Pink Globe
Box Car Willie
Adventure
Rasp Large Red

Red Beefsteak
Top Sirloin
Krakus
Neves or Chapman

Pink Beefsteak
Stump of the World
Eckert Polish or Soldacki
Malinowy Warszawski

Yellow

Little Lucky
Tom's Yellow Wonder
Azoychka

Orange
Orange Minsk

Green
Spears TN Green
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka(Malachite Box)

Odd
Ananas Noire
Beauty King

Bicolor
Northern Lights

Black
Carbon
Abruznyi

Heart
Kosovo
Lithuanian Crested

Paste

Polish Linguisa
Romeo or Joe's Plum

Cherry
Wapsipinicon Peach
Cherokee Green Grape -Should I grow it?
Black Cherry
Dwarfs and Determinates - I really would like these to be down to 8 not 10.
Remy Rouge
Red House Free Standing
ABC Potato Leaf
Whippersnapper
Bushy Charbarovsky
Hayslip
Kootenai
Black Sea Man
Utyonok(orange)
Orlovskie Rysaki

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #2
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Hi Remy,

I preferred Eckerts Polish over Soldacki. Eckerts may have been the most productive tomato plant I ever grew and it was also very early for a large tomato. Soldacki wasn't very productive the year I grew it. Both are just a little milder flavored than I go for but still very good. I remember EP made for a nice thick sauce.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #3
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

In the red category, although I think both Neves and Chapman are great, I would grow Chapman over Neves based on better and more consistant flavor (to me).

Red House Free Standing is one of the better older dwarfs in the same flavor group for me as New Big Dwarf.

Although Whippersnapper was productive for such a small plant, I really didn't care for the flavor that much.
Old March 15, 2011   #4
remy

Thank you both! Very good info.
I'm planting on Monday so I've got time for more input from others.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old March 15, 2011   #5
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Remy, for what it's worth,

Ananas Noire tasted better than it looked
Beauty King Looked better than it tasted

But that was down South here.
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #6
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Ananas Noire was my best tasting tomato last year
Qweniden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #7
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Hey Remy that's a nice list. The only one on it I have grown is Stump of the World. Last years production could have been better but I feel since I got them out late that had a lot to do with it. The flavor was quite good and I will be growing it again this year. A nice big slicer in the one to two pound range.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #8
salix
Tomatovillian™

Remy, Chapman was wonderful last year - tasty and productive. (and it was NOT a very good season...)
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #9
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Remy,

You know I would prefer Adventure, just because it produced in abundance during an unusually rainy year. And by the way, my hybrids went down first in ‘010. (We had flooding even up in Ames, IA – extremely unusual) GA CA C HAS for SSE members.

Have grown Whippersnapper- will not waste time with that one again. (gave the seeds to the neighbors for ‘hobby fun’.

On your yellow vaieties, I think given normal growing conditions Casey’s Pure Yellow will thrill you over the one’s you listed. (Can send you seeds)

Have grown Soldacki, back in 2006, I sent my Sand Hill seeds of that one to Trudi @ wintersown. So agree with barkeater.

For an orange – Woodle would be my preference. An Iowa heirloom trumps for me.
Old March 16, 2011   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

[quote=remy;204805]Hi All,
It is getting down to the wire. I've got most of my list made up. I have a few this or thats in italics on the list. I would appreciate comments on those, but of course comments on any are welcome.
Thanks!
Remy

Remy, I'll just comment on the ones you listed b'c if I start saying I'd grow this instead of growing that it would be a very long post that I'd be doing here and besides, I'm sure you went through many alternatives before you even posted this list.

Red/Pink Globe
Box Car Willie, OK standard
Adventure, I haven't grown
Rasp Large Red, not impressed

Red Beefsteak
Top Sirloin, haven't grown
Krakus, ditto
Neves or Chapman, hard choice here for me, I like both very much

Pink Beefsteak
Stump of the World, yes
Eckert Polish or Soldacki, toss up but Eckert by a nose
Malinowy Warszawski, have you grown any of these Malinowy ones from Poland? This one from Warsaw, others from other areas, small fruits for this one, taste not all that great, I grew the one that starts with ob____ too lazy to look up the spelling. Maybe Warsaw is better?

Yellow
Little Lucky, good bicolor
Tom's Yellow Wonder, have had the seeds for a couple of years and just haven't grown it yet
Azoychka, a very good early

Orange
Orange Minsk, triple YES, the best large orange I've grown in many years

Green
Spears TN Green, yes
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka(Malachite Box), yes

As you know I'm a big fan of GWRipes

Odd
Ananas Noire, left me unconvinced of being worthy re taste and appearance.
Beauty King, have not grown

Bicolor
Northern Lights, have not grown but why here and Little Lucky, which is also a gold/red bicolor listed above under just yellow?

Black
Carbon
Abruznyi

haven't grown either of these and you know why. LOL
Heart
Kosovo, strong yes
Lithuanian Crested, did well for me

Paste
Polish Linguisa
Romeo or Joe's Plum

Romeo gets lots of praise, seeds hard to find so I'd go with that one, I haven't grown it, and haven't grown the other two
Cherry
Wapsipinicon Peach, not at all impressed as fuzzies go, but then I've not been convinced with any of the fuzzies I've grown.
Cherokee Green Grape -Should I grow it? ( I don't know, should you? LOL)
Black Cherry, YES
Dwarfs and Determinates - I really would like these to be down to 8 not 10.
Remy Rouge, haven't grown
Red House Free Standing, not impressed
ABC Potato Leaf, not impressed
Whippersnapper, not grown
Bushy Charbarovsky, not grown
Hayslip, not grown
Kootenai , not grown
Black Sea Man, I don't like this one or Southern Nights, the two black dets
Utyonok(orange), not grown
Orlovskie Rysaki, not grown but the name suits you. LOL

I dunno, but of it were me I think I might try to get seed for a couple of the new Dwarf varieties that have been made available from the Dwarf Project here, updates on sources in Craig's thread as to where. I don't usually grow Dwarfs, I'm allergic to them and most dets, ahem, but I was very impressed with some that Craig asked me to trial which were Summertime Green, Summertime Gold, Wild Fred, whoops, forgot the other two.

And yes, there are some others I'd grow instead of some of the ones you list in each category, but I promised not to suggest alternatives, and I didn't.

Hope the above helps rather than hinders.
Old March 16, 2011   #11
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

I too like NAR and Chapman about the same. Grow both! ;-)
Old March 16, 2011   #12
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I grew Northern Lights once and it is a bicolor. The first ones were great then the rains came for the rest of the summer and they lost their flavor and were very soft and watery. Wish I had grown them last summer when it was hot and dry for the most part.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #13
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Remy-glad you asked this, I have a post about decisions, too. I, too, am trying to decide between Chapman, Church and Neves, so I'm staying tuned.
I love polish linguisa, but since I'm so limited on space, I'm trying Romeo again (I had no germination last year).
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #14
remy

Thank you everyone! I love all these replies.

It looks like it is Eckerts Polish again.

Linda and Simmran,
I'll definitely take Whippersnapper off the list, that helps!

Simmran,
You are(as I've said before) like a tomato seed drug dealer, . You've always got a new one for me to try!

BigdaddyJ,
Very funny! I need more room!! I personally would grow more big red and pink beefsteaks, but I need to keep in mind for the business too.
From the looks of it things are swinging towards Chapman. Humm... maybe I should can Rasp Large Red since Carolyn didn't give a glowing review then I can grow both. But I've wanted to grow Rasp Large Red since it is from a grower here.

Barkeater,
Good to hear you got Northern Lights tomatoes in a timely fashion and that thery tasted good before the rain.

Carolyn,
Thank you for your all your notes. Thank you for not adding in other varieties too. It is hard enough as it is! Though, I'll take suggestions for future years. A few notes back to you and anyone else interested:
-Adventure came very highly recommended so I have to give it a try.
-Malinowy Warszawski is a pink PL beefsteak so it is a big one. I had a customer request and the seeds are getting old so I though I should grow it.
-Little Lucky does get some red, but not lots so I put in with the Yellows. Either way, I'm definitely growing that one again.
-I'm not sure if you know it, but I love green when ripes too!
-For the ODDS, I definitely need a couple, people like them. I grew Ananas Noire a few years back and actually did like it. Beauty King, I've only seen. It is gorgeous, but if people think it tastes bad, maybe I should just regrow Pork Chop since it does taste very good.
-I'm not a fan of pastes, but I grew Romeo last year and the tomatoes were huge. Joe's Plum is also huge. So I'm torn.
-You might be allergic to the dwarfs, but A LOT of people love them. I feel odd asking for any seeds from the Dwarf Project since I did not participate, but if anyone wants to send me seeds, I will not turn them down.
I think you would be impress by Remy Rouge, and it has nothing to do with having my name. I swear it is the sweetest cherry I've ever had. Many people got seeds this winter so I'm hoping for good feedback from other areas to confirm this.

Thank you!
Remy

Old March 16, 2011   #15
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Beauty King several times and Beauty Queen several times. I'm growing BQ again this year. They're both pretty late for me, but worth the anxiety "Will they make it???" I'm waiting for the Beauty Princeling.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote