Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 15, 2011   #31
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

lilhammerlane,
I don't think anyone was giving you heat about this. I think everyone was being quite lighthearted and funny about it. If you took it any other way, I'm sorry.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #32
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Why are we perpetuating this thread for a website that is obviously a scam.
I think it kinda falls into a Baker Creek category and therefore Not My Money Ever

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #33
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Folks should also be aware that this same site is also illegally selling PVP protected varieties; one example is their renamed "Atlantica Giant 1000" aka Dill's Atlantic Giant.
Do we know for sure, that "Atlantica Giant (1000)" is a renamed "Dill's Atlantic Giant"?
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #34
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnarSK View Post
Do we know for sure, that "Atlantica Giant (1000)" is a renamed "Dill's Atlantic Giant"?
Just checking my 2011 SSE YEarbook and the entry for Atlantic Giant is by Jere Gettle, who goes into the background of this variety and then says that seed houses in the US continue to claim it as patented but its PVP expired in 2004. Also noted that it can exceed 1700 pounds. And since BC has to deal with PVP issues all the time I believe what Jere said to be true.

So I would suggest that the folks at the site being discussed didn't realize that the patent had expired, as noted by Gettle that some places don't, and so subtly changed the name of variety for obvious reasons.

And no doubt what they list is Atlantic Giant which is available at many seed sites and it isn't always called Dill's Atlantic Giant. The Dill's was just tacked on to the original name in the same way that Estler's Mortgage lifter is tacked onto the variety Mortgage Lifter or Arkansas was tacked on to the original name of Traveler to give just two examples.

There is no listing for Dill's Atantic Giant in the current SSE YEarbook nor one for the Atlantica Giant (1000) either.

Hope that helps.
Old March 17, 2011   #35
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What a pant load of crap... anyone who falls for that B.S. deserves to be parted from their money and the sooner the better. What percent of their selling price covers the "luck" part, I wonder?

No doubt it's a known variety, renamed with the intent to fleece both the uninformed and the gullible.

Don't forget Omar's Lebanese, Carolyn. I've gotten some 4+ lb. tomatoes and didn't get suckered into paying $12.50 for 10 measly seeds to grow it.
I definitely gotten my biggest so far from Omar's-and Bullsheart.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #36
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnarSK View Post
I guess that's a moot point if the PVP has expired. According to Howard Dill it hasn't but perhaps he's just saying so to deter seed saving and reselling of his variety.

Regardless, there are several other active PVP pumpkin varieties listed there and that's good enough evidence for me.

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/w...t/pumpkin.html

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #37
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipchip2000 View Post
Why are we perpetuating this thread for a website that is obviously a scam.
I think it kinda falls into a Baker Creek category and therefore Not My Money Ever

ron

Could you enlighten me on Baker Creek? Is this rareseeds.com as well?
jgaleota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #38
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess that's a moot point if the PVP has expired. According to Howard Dill it hasn't but perhaps he's just saying so to deter seed saving and reselling of his variety.

Regardless, there are several other active PVP pumpkin varieties listed there and that's good enough evidence for me.

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/w...t/pumpkin.html
And folks, I was only speaking to the PVP and Atlantic Giant. As for the rest of that website you'd have to untie the ropes on my hands with a sharp knife before I'd ever order anything from them. I'm just not comfortable with that website given so many other seed source catalogs and websites where care is taken to accurately represent what's being offered.
Old March 17, 2011   #39
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I won't speak for dipchip (or anyone else, for that matter), but I don't think (and I don't think the previous post was meant to infer) that Baker Creek is in any way a "scam." They offer a good selection of heirloom seeds, fair prices, and unsolicited political views. It's the last of these that I think some folks find to be off-putting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaleota View Post
Could you enlighten me on Baker Creek? Is this rareseeds.com as well?
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #40
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Fortyone! I was afraid that it DID mean that they are a scam and as I just ordered a bunch of stuff from them, I was a bit worried. I love their site but must have missed the unsolicited political stuff somehow. I am really excited to receive some of these interesting varieties.

Erin go Bragh (for all fellow Irish out there)!
Old March 17, 2011   #41
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I haven't browsed the rareseeds.com site. The political rhetoric may be confined to the catalog and their forum.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaleota View Post
Thanks, Fortyone! I was afraid that it DID mean that they are a scam and as I just ordered a bunch of stuff from them, I was a bit worried. I love their site but must have missed the unsolicited political stuff somehow. I am really excited to receive some of these interesting varieties.

Erin go Bragh (for all fellow Irish out there)!
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #42
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I wouldn't spend a nickel of my money at Baker Creek and there are many others here that feel the same way.

In addition to low/zero germination rates with their seeds, the owner of the company, Jeremiath "Jere" Gettle, has no respect for people that defend our country; i.e. the men and women of our armed forces.

See this thread: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16386

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #43
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. Well, I have 5 different eggplant seed packs coming (hope that's not off topic). I will post on the germination rate. Needless to say, if it is very low, I will be very unhappy. Thanks for providing the thread link too.
Old March 17, 2011   #44
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mischka and Fourtyone,, I know nothing of the quality or prices at BakerCreek however I would never do business with a company so openly against U.S. troups all over this globe. Their political propaganda is Krap.
They do have the most beautiful catalog of any that I receive and do not hesitate to look at the pictures. I just will not buy from them.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #45
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Read the whole previous thread that Mischka provided. O.K. now I understand the controversy. I can see I have a lot to catch up on.