Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 11, 2011   #1
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Default Black Heart

Tomato Folk,

This one is mentioned in the SSE yearbook and claims to have good flavor. Has anyone tried this and cares to comment on its flavor?

Thanks,
Greg
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflynn View Post
Tomato Folk,

This one is mentioned in the SSE yearbook and claims to have good flavor. Has anyone tried this and cares to comment on its flavor?

Thanks,
Greg
Greg, I don't see Black Heart listed, but I do see Black Oxheart listed and the latter has been listed for a couple of years now.

It's the same as Brad's Black Heart, the correct name, which many of us have grown, discovered by Brad at Wild Boar Farms in his tomato patch.

I've grown BBH and I do thonk it's pretty darn good. I can't compare it with other so called black hearts b'c right now it's the only one although I know there are a couple of folks who are trying to breed some and claim same.

Exactly where BBH came from is discussed at Tania's tomato base site.

So go for it and I think you'll like it as well.
Old March 11, 2011   #3
Structure
Tomatovillian™

I liked BBH a lot. Enough that it returned this year for two spots (which with my limited room and desire to experiment says a lot).

Taste is very similar to Black Krim with less gel. A rich, slightly sweet tomato with "earthy" or "smoky" tones (opinions about the last two vary quite a bit, but personally that describes my taste experience).
Structure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structure View Post
I liked BBH a lot. Enough that it returned this year for two spots (which with my limited room and desire to experiment says a lot).

Taste is very similar to Black Krim with less gel. A rich, slightly sweet tomato with "earthy" or "smoky" tones (opinions about the last two vary quite a bit, but personally that describes my taste experience).
And it should taste like Black Krim, b'c it was found in a field of Black Krim plants.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...7s_Black_Heart

The history is to be found at Tania's site which I linked to above.

And I do think it's well worth growing. But I will say that although others say that they taste "earthy" or "salty" with some or all of the so called blacks that they grow, I'm not one of them.
Old March 12, 2011   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

You have to drop the slices on the ground, and get out the salt shaker, silly
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
You have to drop the slices on the ground, and get out the salt shaker, silly
Now why didn't I think of that.

And here all these years I thought you had to find the earthy, salty taste within the actual fruits.

Ah well, never too old to learn something new.
Old March 13, 2011   #7
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Brad's Black Heart for the first time this year and am really looking forward to it.

I don't know if I should dare say this in front of all you tomato veterans, but I've never even tasted a black tomato before, so I'm not sure what Earthy tastes like
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Wiseguy View Post
I don't know if I should dare say this in front of all you tomato veterans, but I've never even tasted a black tomato before, so I'm not sure what Earthy tastes like
Basically, "earthy" means it tastes a little like dirt, but in a good way.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011   #9
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I am with Carolyn..."Earthy-Salty" blah, blah blah. I taste NONE of these on any black tomato (and my husband has grown about 50 kinds) But...I do not like tomatoes of any kind so maybe my tomato bias has polluted my pallet (along with a few other things ) I have probably tasted more than 1000 varieties of every type and every color and every genre (can you say genre when talking about a tomato? Hmmmmmm) and low and behold...THEY TASTE LIKE TOMATOES. No fruity, no smokey, no citrus-eee, no salty, no earthy, no nothing. Tangy and either juicy or not or cardboard supermarket flavor and that about covers my lifetime tomato flavor experience. Am I somehow being denied a full gastronomic tomato experience? Do I lack the "ability to taste a difference in tomatoes" gene? () I just don't know...
Old March 13, 2011   #10
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Beets taste earthy.
As a reference point.

Barb
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011   #11
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Taste is one of the senses that vary a great deal from person to person, and also can be affected by things like olfactory nerves, medications, etc. etc.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #12
gflynn
MAGTAG™

But does it taste like chicken?

Thanks for the replies, does anyone sell this one use another route?

Greg
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #13
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Brad sells it himself I believe. I think some others do also - if you check out Tatiana's Tomatobase it should list some commercial sellers.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #14
spkfero
Tomatovillian™

Greg
I Have seed for brads black heart
PM me with your add.

Iam going to try to make it to maytag this yr.

gene
spkfero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #15
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
I am with Carolyn..."Earthy-Salty" blah, blah blah. I taste NONE of these on any black tomato (and my husband has grown about 50 kinds) But...I do not like tomatoes of any kind so maybe my tomato bias has polluted my pallet (along with a few other things ) I have probably tasted more than 1000 varieties of every type and every color and every genre (can you say genre when talking about a tomato? Hmmmmmm) and low and behold...THEY TASTE LIKE TOMATOES. No fruity, no smokey, no citrus-eee, no salty, no earthy, no nothing. Tangy and either juicy or not or cardboard supermarket flavor and that about covers my lifetime tomato flavor experience. Am I somehow being denied a full gastronomic tomato experience? Do I lack the "ability to taste a difference in tomatoes" gene? () I just don't know...
Yes. You are being denied a full gastronomic experience because you lack the ability to taste flavours that numerous other people taste.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote