Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 10, 2011   #1
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Default Best hearts out there?

What are your favorite hearts to grow? I would like to grow some in 2012. It doesn't get very hot here (western Washington) but I have a small hoophouse.

So. What are your favorite hearts and why?

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #2
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Brads Black Heart for me
Loaded all year, even September here one of my last plant which died
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brads Black Heart.jpg (404.4 KB, 78 views)
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #3
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

This year my favorite heart was Orange Strawberry. It's very meaty, some had almost no seeds. Nice rich flavor. The ocean is only a couple miles from me so it doesn't get really hot here either and it did fine. It wasn't a heavy producer for me, but the size of the fruit made up for it.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #4
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Brad's Black Heart was good here - so was Kosovo. And I was still picking lots of Kosovo's yesterday. Today, we have hail. German Red Strawberry was not a favorite for me.
Old November 10, 2011   #5
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default Hearts

#1 is Prue, #2 is Wes

Not sure if it is really a heart, but I like Prue. Prue is productive, has great taste and I like the consistency better than most hearts. After that, I like Wes and Kosovo.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #6
Iva
Tomatovillian™

All of these were amongst the tastiest varieties this year:
Kosovo
Orange Oxheart
Russkaja Krasaviza

Brad's Black Heart tasted good but cracked like hell and had very low production...
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #7
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Granny's Heart was my favorite heart. It was early, tasted great and produced all season long. German Red strawberry gave no fruit, Wes was good but low production, Kosovo was Ok but late to produce, Reif Red Heart was good with large tomatoes, Anna Russian was early and first tomatoes were large and the rest were small.
Brad's Black Heart was in a container and produced well but did not taste great so I put it in my sauce.
cloz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #8
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! has anyone grown Donskoi or Berkely Tie Dye Heart? Glad to hear about Brad's Black Heart from multiple people. I was hoping to grow that one next year. Also Elizabeth, glad to hear you could grow Orange Strawberry.
Nice pictures, too everybody.
Old November 10, 2011   #9
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Me a huge fan of BTD Regular one, i did hear that the heart one is not good at all? a littlle baby BTD CUTE GUY.

Back left side is last years BTD
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...Eart+varieties

Above is a 5 page thread about hearts from 2010 and I know there are others out there as well. B/c I remember making a list of heart varieties that I liked.

I can't recreate that here, but I can think of some off the top of my head, some known for many years and some rather brand new.

Anna Russian
Russian #117
Linnie's Oxheart
Kosovo
Indiana Red
German Red Strawberry
Ukrainian Heart
Danko
Anna Maria's Heart
Ludmilla's Pink Heart
Granny's Heart
Tsar-Kolokol, aka Tsar of Bells
Orange Strawberry, original seeds to me fromn Marjorie Morris who found it as a stray seed in a pack of commercial Pineapple seeds and she named it. Marjorie also sent me her original seeds for German Red Strawberry which was a her family her heirloom. For me OJ is not as juicy as most other hearts and doesn't have that depth of flavor that I prefer, but a darn good variety anyway,

OK, I can't think of the others right now due to mental fatigue b'c Of what's occurred here at home today. And I don't mean just finding one shoe, a dress shoe, on one of the rugs in my bathroom. The perps are my two cat kids who have been chasing a mouse in the house for two weeks now, and the mouse is winning, but it keeps the cats happy and keeps me from sleeping with their constant running around at night.

And soon to come:

Orange Minsk Heart, need more seeds

Kukla's Portuguese Heart; may have enough seeds to list for my seed offer

Cuore del Drago, aka Dragon Heart, which turned out to be not a heart, but a long red paste shape with a twisted blossom end and pointy, and darn good taste. I suppose it was named after that famous dragon who had a congenital heart malformation.

Podorok, a small orange heart, not sweet, but interesting. May have seeds for my next seed offer.

I say I may have seeds for my seed offer( late Dec/early Jan, when I get it done is when it goes up) b'c I also list in the SSE Yearbook, 2012 one coming up, and sometimes I have enough to both SSE list and offer here and sometimes I have enough to just SSE list and sometimes I have enough seeds just to list in my seed offer here.

Yes, I am a long time dedicated lover of heart shaped varieties and always will be.
Old November 10, 2011   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
#1 is Prue, #2 is Wes

Not sure if it is really a heart, but I like Prue. Prue is productive, has great taste and I like the consistency better than most hearts. After that, I like Wes and Kosovo.
Nope, not really a heart b'c all different shapes can be found on a single plant. Tom Galucci is the source for this variety and he posts here as tig, something or other, sorry Tom.

But I was just reminded from a post here that I forgot to list Wes, which a great blunt heart. I know, I know, there are many varieties I forgot to list. If anyone wants to research heart varieties they can go to Tania's site and pull up a list of ALL heart varieties.

OK, I'll do it now:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...haped_Tomatoes
Old November 10, 2011   #12
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

you beat me to it carolyn! prue is not a heart but in my opinion prue is every bit as sweet as the best hearts.

my favorite tomato is prue but wes is close, prue is a 99 and wes is a 98.5 also kosovo is very good. i grew brad's black heart and was unimpressed. and this year bull's heart, and it was dreadful but i'm sure it is good as it was highly recommended. this summer was not a good year for tomatoes and i think bull's heart was in the wrong place at the wrong time! even wes was disappointing but prue was great as ever. prue never seems to have a bad year ever, it even survived that summer (2009 ?) when everyone in the east had late blight and it was infected.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #13
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

It's always good to hear from those of you with more experience about which varieties are productive, even in the worst of times. thanks!
Old November 11, 2011   #14
Structure
Tomatovillian™

I grew Kosovo and Brad's Black Heart in the hoop-house this season. We have cool temps but a very long season. Anyway, Kosovo did outstanding. Ate the first one in early June and we're still eating them (tonight in fact). The plants are about done, but we'll still get a few. Brad's Black Heart was slow to produce. For me it's a very dense bushy plant. In the hoop-house this encouraged gray mold. The more wispy with less foliage growth of the Kosovo resisted gray mold and EB better. We are still getting BBHs though. So it's certainly not a bad choice. I'd give a slight flavor edge to BBH too. Though, I do love Kosovo....hmmm so hard to decide. Good problems to have.
Structure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2011   #15
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Hey guys! Thanks for sharing the pictures, Filmnet, I love the strange growth on BTD and the cat's ear in the second picture.

Love hearing about all the different hearts out there. There certainly are alot!

Taryn