Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 28, 2011   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post
Untreated wood in South Louisiana will have termites in less than 3 months, if that long\
That's what I was thinking.

I would also have to have a root barrier for these elm trees.
AND you dont put screws or nails into the end grain of wood.
There should be 4X4's in the corners.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2011   #32
Too Tall Toms
Tomatovillian™

well it looks like pressure-treated wood is alot cheaper than cedar.
As long as it's safe to use, I'm all in

You think 2 inches thick is enough?
Too Tall Toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall Toms View Post
well it looks like pressure-treated wood is alot cheaper than cedar.
As long as it's safe to use, I'm all in

You think 2 inches thick is enough?
2x stuff is really 1 1/2 thick and yes it is thick enough.
As for the treated wood you wont have any worries till later in life, nothing to worry about.

Worth
Old November 29, 2011   #34
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

2 inch is standard, but as Worth said, the actual width is a bit smaller. Just tell them you want a 2 x 12 x 12 treated and they'll know.

Again, if you have any hesitation about treated lumber, just line the inside of the bed with plastic.
Old November 29, 2011   #35
Too Tall Toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
2x stuff is really 1 1/2 thick and yes it is thick enough.
As for the treated wood you wont have any worries till later in life, nothing to worry about.

Worth
Won't have to worry till later in life?? I hope you're joking LOL

I'm assuming that I'd have to wrap the pieces of lumber in plastic. Why line the bottom of the bed if the only possible soil-to-wood contact is at the wood around the sides?
Old November 29, 2011   #36
tedln

I've been using 2"X12"X 8' treated lumber without any kind of liner for years with good success. I don't go as long as 12' in length because I think at that length you might need center support to prevent it bulging in the middle from the soil weight. I don't screw the boards together directly, but use steel, 90 degree brackets at each corner on the soil side or inside of the corners. I would like to use the brackets on the outside of the corners, but if you don't angle cut the boards at each corner, the brackets won't reach far enough on one side. With the precut boards and the brackets, you can construct the frame in about thirty minutes. I just like to keep it simple.

Ted
Old November 29, 2011   #37
Too Tall Toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I've been using 2"X12"X 8' treated lumber without any kind of liner for years with good success. I don't go as long as 12' in length because I think at that length you might need center support to prevent it bulging in the middle from the soil weight. I don't screw the boards together directly, but use steel, 90 degree brackets at each corner on the soil side or inside of the corners. I would like to use the brackets on the outside of the corners, but if you don't angle cut the boards at each corner, the brackets won't reach far enough on one side. With the precut boards and the brackets, you can construct the frame in about thirty minutes. I just like to keep it simple.

Ted
The longest I would make my beds are 8 feet. I keep changing my mind about the size.

either 3 x 6 or 3 x 8
Old November 29, 2011   #38
tedln

I have 3X8 and 4X8. I like both for different reasons. I would always make them at least eight feet long simply because it is a standard length at the big box stores. I don't want to have to buy eight foot long boards and cut two feet off of each board. I think twelve feet long is also a standard length. You can buy them and cut four feet off the end of each board to make the four foot long ends to each bed.

Ted
Old November 30, 2011   #39
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

All of these beds are raised quite a lot - close to a foot I'd estimate. In a newly completed bed, I have taken a different approach using paver/stacking bricks to raise my bed by only about 6 inches above the ground level.(primarily used this approach for aesthetic appeal) I also, greatly augmented the existing soil with some great soil/compost from a local provider to a depth of 2 feet. The total depth of greatly improved soil, about 30 inches. Are there advantages to having the raised part be raised higher? What are they? I could always had paver/stackers and more amended soil and get the raised part higher, but, I don't know that it is worth the time, effort and expense? Input appreciated.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2011   #40
tedln

Dewayne,

My natural soil is very rocky with very low nutrient value. When I started my raised beds, I didn't incorporate the new soil into the natural soil due to the rocks. The first year, I only added mixed soil to about six inches deep and the garden did very well. By the end of the first growing season, the soil had compressed to about four inches deep. At that point enough nutrients had penetrated from the new soil into the old soil that I thought I should mix them with a shovel. Since the area had been damp from the garden moisture, it was much softer and I could dig the rocks out with a shovel. I added another four inches of new soil on top of the incorporated soil. Each year, I add about three inches of new soil and compost (mostly compost) and mix it into the existing soil. I now have about ten inches of good soil in my beds. I like the deeper soil because it retains moisture better and it has more nutrients available. I had a dump truck load of topsoil delivered to my house and mix organics from a variety of sources with the topsoil in a wheel barrow and deliver it to my beds in the wheel barrow. I also add Ironite for iron, Epson Salt for magnesium, and Alfalfa pellets to each wheel barrow load. I love the alfalfa pellets because the earth worms love it. Each compressed pellet expands to about ten times its size when it gets wet in the soil. Some years, depending on the color of my tomato plant leaves; I also add dried molasses to the mix for copper and sulphur. The micro organisms and fungi love the dried molasses. I never suggest anyone should do what I do, but I have developed a system that works for me

I will always remember that I grew some of my best tomatoes the first year when the soil was only four inches deep. I suspect some of the roots penetrated into the old soil beneath the new soil.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; November 30, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old December 5, 2011   #41
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I live in Central Texas, and my soil is very rich black gumbo. Three years ago I decided to raise all of my beds in my"back" garden. It was a all winter project. I added alfalfa pellets, green sand, aged horse manure, and lots of compost. It was the best gardening decision I have ever made. The beds are so easy to work now. Two weeks ago I decided to raise my "front" garden bed. This bed was my original garden when we built our house 7 years ago. I use 3' t-posts to secure the stacked boards using deck screws to hold the boards upright in a vertical position. It has worked well for me in the "back" garden over the years so I decided to do the same to the front garden. I used treated pine 4X4's in the back, and 2X6 cedar in the front garden. See pictures below.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/w...22/newbed1.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/w...22/Newbed2.jpg

Last edited by hornstrider; December 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Pictures did now view
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2011   #42
tedln

I love your beds hornstrider.

Ted
Old December 5, 2011   #43
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

tedln .........Wow thank you. I believe you are the first person to reply to one of my post's on this forum. It looks like our beds, and approach are very much alike. It must be the "Texan" in us.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2011   #44
tedln

Keep posting Hornstrider. Everyone on this forum is friendly and helpful but we all get a little busy sometimes. I always enjoy seeing what other folks are doing in their gardens.

As for the Texan thing. I'm thinking of getting a lot of those bumper stickers which say "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could". I know a lot of new arrivals who would appreciate one.

Ted
Old December 5, 2011   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
tedln .........Wow thank you. I believe you are the first person to reply to one of my post's on this forum. It looks like our beds, and approach are very much alike. It must be the "Texan" in us.

Ok Gooooooooo Hippos!!!!!!!!!

Worth