Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2011   #31
378j5
Tomatovillian™

Three seeds planted over heat, all germinated in eight days.
378j5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011   #32
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default A Hoy there

Pleased to say Hoy are germinating. I'll admit I was getting a little worried.

Neil G. (Canada)
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011   #33
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

My last count appears to be 6 of 8, in about two weeks time. Looking forward to watching them grow.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2011   #34
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Everyone's seedlings are looking really good

Pulled out my Hoy plants on Sunday just after the first of the Antarctic blasts of Autumn dumped snow on the near by maintains,followed by a -3C frost Monday morning.

They weren't a late season tomato i found,apart from two ripe ones there were no green fruit left on the plants at the end.

Such a sad time of year when the tomato plants get pulled ,but oh well ,still got 6 different other toms growing in my tunnelhouse to keep us going for another few months yet.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2011   #35
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

My last count is 4. Green and growing.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2011   #36
WillysWoodPile

Update on Hoy:

Old April 21, 2011   #37
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Looking good Terry.You must be doing something right

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2011   #38
Chara
Tomatovillian™

Hello everybody and Happy Thanksgiving!
I'm bumping this thread. I got my seeds too late for the 2011 grow season, but just started them for the 2012.
I would like to ask you to share your notes and observations of the past season on 'Hoy', please?
Chara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2011   #39
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Hello!

I have just found a picture from this tomato. But I could not figure out where to find seeds?!
Perhaps someone of you might tell me!

Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2011   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone View Post
Hello!

I have just found a picture from this tomato. But I could not figure out where to find seeds?!
Perhaps someone of you might tell me!

Simone
Simone the search feature ( at the top of the page)here at Tville is excellent but when entering a three letter word such as Hoy, you need to enter it as Hoy* and best to click on the posts rather than the thread in that search.

In the Gneral Discussion Foum there is an introductory thread about Hoy, I didn't go fetch that one and then there's one in the Legacy Forum which I did go and get.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16011

And when you read the above link you'll see that Richard (Medbury) said he was offering seeds in the TRADE Subforum, so you can look there and find that thread.

I have no idea if that seed offer is still open, but one heck of a lot of folks got Hoy seeds and I know I'm going to offer some in my next annual seed offer here which will be sometime between late Dec and early Jan. And I'm sure others might be doing the same.

Whenever you want to find commercial places that sell seed for varieties it'sbest to go to Tania's website and here's the page for Hoy:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Hoy

This variety is so new that there are no SSE listings for it but I'm listing it for the 2012 Yearbook and no commercial places listing it yet but I'm sure that will change very soon.

When you're through at that page click on Home at the upper left and that akes you back to the first page. When I know the name of a variety I use the alphabet link to find it but there are many other links and ways to find varieties as you'll see when you get there.

In general if you're looking for a variety it's best to post in the WANTED subforum of the Seed Exchange as you'll see when you go to that Forum.

Hope that helps
Old November 24, 2011   #41
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chara View Post
Hello everybody and Happy Thanksgiving!
I'm bumping this thread. I got my seeds too late for the 2011 grow season, but just started them for the 2012.
I would like to ask you to share your notes and observations of the past season on 'Hoy', please?
Seven of these were right around 3 pounds.
Old November 24, 2011   #42
tedln

Willy,

How many plants did you harvest the beautiful twenty two tomatoes from? Guess I need to go to the "Looking For" forum to locate some seed for the Hoy. While they are truly impressive looking, how did they taste?

If I locate some seed, the next problem will be determining which variety to drop from next years list. I was very happy with my selections until I read this thread again.

Thanks

Ted
Old November 24, 2011   #43
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Ted- i would rate the taste as a 7 outa 10 which is good for a large tomato if you were comparing among all sized tomatoes.
Hoy's best quality's is definitely yield.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2011   #44
cloz
Tomatovillian™

I would definitely say that Hoy is worthy of a place in the garden. I found it to have very good flavor and very few seeds per tomato considering it's size. The early flowers set a bb to pea sized fruit and then just sat there for about a month before starting to grow. The major part of the production was quite late and I still had several small green tomatoes on the plants when all my plants finally died due to heavy rain and cold weather.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2011   #45
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Since this thread got bumped up..Maybe we need to start a new one on hoy?
I had no problem with germination. 5 out of 6 seeds. A couple in pots in the GH and a couple in a bad place outside was the best i could do. Problem was it was way late here in Colorado. they were the fastest growing tomato I have ever grown. No set of fruits was the problem. Little flowers and then drop. I managed to get a couple of tiny little ones to save for seed for myself but I don't trust them to give to any one else. I have two plants now in the window from cuttings. They are 3 foot tall and show no indication to flower yet. But they sure do grow. My thought are that it is a very large plant and very late to produce. It could be that mine just hit the wrong time of the summer. I look forward to trying again next year.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote