Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2011   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, I love heirloom tomatoes, until a customer asks if we have all heirlooms and I state that they are mostly heirlooms or bred from heirlooms (which kinda applies to everything, when you think about it). Some walk away when we don't meet the "all-heirloom" test. Others walk away (softly cursing) when they find out we occasionally stoop to selling hybrids (Momotaro this year).

Fred, you gave me the laugh I needed today when you said you failed the "all-heirloom" test.

And hybrids aside why don't you offer up some red and yellow currant varieties with maybe a dash of S.cheesmanii thrown in, and tell them THERE, those are heirlooms, straight from South America where tomatoes first originated thousands of years ago. And as long as they don't realize that there are many different attempted definitions of what an heirloom tomato is, and no consensus, you're home free.
Old December 14, 2011   #32
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I grew Blush this year, and this was also my first year selling at a local farmers market. When I had a bunch of blush and other cherries and grapes left over after market, I dried some, and WOW! That fruity flavor really came through - some likened it to dried apricots! Sounds strange, but some folks I shared them with said that for a snack, those dried Blush tomatoes were their favorite. I ended up wishing I had grown more, just so I could dry more of them. I certainly plan to grow a bunch more this year!
Shawn
FarmerShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2011   #33
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Interesting Shawn,

We were underwhelmed by dried Maglia Rosa, but it looks like we need to try Blush dried.

How did you end up drying them? Did anyone find the dried Blush too sweet?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2011   #34
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I simply cut them in half, arranged them cut side up on the dehydrator's trays, and sprinkled with a bit of sea salt. I also dried some grape tomatoes (wonderful, five star grape, I think) and some sungolds (surprisingly disappointing for snacking). Everyone who tried the Blush loved them.
Old December 16, 2011   #35
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting that you found Blush good for drying. I assumed it would not be that great for drying because we had previously found Maglia Rosa (like Sungold) to be mediocre dried, as they develop an unpleasant over-ripe flavor.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2011   #36
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Oh, I love heirloom tomatoes, until a customer asks if we have all heirlooms and I state that they are mostly heirlooms or bred from heirlooms (which kinda applies to everything, when you think about it). Some walk away when we don't meet the "all-heirloom" test. Others walk away (softly cursing) when they find out we occasionally stoop to selling hybrids (Momotaro this year).

Fred, you gave me the laugh I needed today when you said you failed the "all-heirloom" test.

And hybrids aside why don't you offer up some red and yellow currant varieties with maybe a dash of S.cheesmanii thrown in, and tell them THERE, those are heirlooms, straight from South America where tomatoes first originated thousands of years ago. And as long as they don't realize that there are many different attempted definitions of what an heirloom tomato is, and no consensus, you're home free.
Fred, whether they accept it or not, fact is most people wouldn't be growing tomatoes at all unless they either live in a totally disease free and perfect micro-climate, or if like the rest of us they are growing "heirlooms" that survive only because at some point in distant or recent history they were outcrossed to wild varieties in order to obtain resistances.

Since you can usually smell from half a mile away the type of tomato snooties that turn their noses up at the slightest divergence from pure heirloomity, why not cast aside your ethics and lie to those fools.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2011   #37
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Fred, the other thing I love about the Blush tomatoes is that they, along with the Juliets, just kept on producing while all the others succumbed to my usual late season blight and disease. I call them pretty bulletproof - at least this year, in my garden. Thanks for creating them!
Old June 12, 2017   #38
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I'm bumping this thread since there isn't much info added anymore about how pleased were people with this variety.
Good growth, nothing particularly vigourous or weak, and I think this can take prizes for worst production in a tomato plant. 8-12 fruits per truss in a cherry tomato for a plant with this large leaves is astonishing. Even Sungold does 20+ easily. I have 4 trusses until now and no multiflora style trusses like pretty much all hybrid cherries yet. I hope they will get bigger than advertised in this case. Growing one stem is a problem, but the thing is that with multiple stems this will become a massive bush. Leaves are 2-3 time larger than on Galina (the only tomato I allow more trusses to).
Seeds are nowadays somewhat cheap, and if you are in Asia they are actually dirt cheap, about 3 cent per seed. (less than buying op seeds here).
Still 3-4 weeks left till I can taste one, let's see what the fuss is about.
Rosada, also made by KnownYou in Taiwan was pretty gosh darnoodley productive a few years ago with 30-40 per truss no problem. I found them to be too sweet though, and this is supposed to have also high acidity.

Here is a picture of mine like a week ago or so:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_9100.jpg (216.5 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by zipcode; June 12, 2017 at 08:22 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #39
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have never heard of them... so thanks for bumping this.
Old July 3, 2017   #40
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Same truss, 4 weeks later.
Can't wait to try it. One thing I can say is that it sets well, and has a very vigurous upper growth. So probably one you need to continuously feed, and 'lean and lower', and might get decent production, but I can see this growing to incredible heights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_9270.jpg (189.2 KB, 46 views)
Old July 3, 2017   #41
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The fruits look exactly like Juliet that I have in my garden right now.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #42
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Well, after this time I think I can make a fair review. It was the first to ripen on my balcony, so it is early.
Leaves are long, droopy and twisted, but not quite wispy. Fruit size is quite consistent, due to fairly low fruit number per truss (12-20 usually). Weight is about 15-18 grams. Skin is thinner than many other grapes I tried. Didn't have a problem with splitting, but this is not a big problem here.
Pros: taste is good, more acidic than other grapes I've tried, which is something I like, but the taste is not particularly strong. It has the same flavour profile as all newly developed grape types, like Tomatoberry for example.
Cons: production. It has good vigour going up (extremely tall plant), sets very well, but the low number of fruit per truss makes it rather shy producer, compared to F2s from store bought grapes. Tomatoberry outproduces it at least 2:1.
Well, that's about it. I can certainly recommend it for people who have been looking in vain for a less sweet grape tomato.