Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 12, 2011   #31
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I checked about Ramapo seed and was told that they have plants in a greenhouse and hope to have seed available sometime in March. I will call the end of February and see how they are progressing.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2011   #32
sicily
Tomatovillian™

These aren't F1 seeds. They are a growout from seeds purchased at Rutgers. I spoke with the seller about it.
sicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2011   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicily View Post
These aren't F1 seeds. They are a growout from seeds purchased at Rutgers. I spoke with the seller about it.
And saved F2 seeds grown out do not give plants/fruits that are ALL Ramapo-like but I have no idea what the seller has done in terms of getting a stable OP.

When I did it it took me out to the F3 before the OP looked good and I think almost all the folks here at Tville have been growing my OP version, now on the maybe F6 or so and all is good.

I have to admit that I run very fast when anyone starts mentioning e-bay for tomato seeds. Yes, there are some wonderful exceptions and some folks many of us know who do offer tomato seeds on e-bay, but from the feedback I've seen varieties can be and are offered with name changes, crossed varieties and who knows what.

Do I sound skeptical today? I guess so.