Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 10, 2011   #1
g92k
Tomatovillian™

Default Siberian Pink Honey

Hello all. First time poster and new grower. This will be our second year having a garden. When ordering some seeds for the coming year I saw this tomato seed described as rare and figured I would try it. It's called Siberian Pink Honey. I can't seem to find anything about this tomato. Has anyone grown it?
g92k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #2
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Hi and welcome to Tomatoville! I hope you like here, everyone is very nice.

I couldn't find any info about Siberian Pink Honey, but it might the same thing as Siberian Pink, and is probably very similar. Don't assume this is the exact same variety, but I bet it is a strain or cross involving Siberian Pink.
Some things that might help us are:
Where did you order these seeds from? What company?
Did the seed packet or catalog have a description with the seeds besides saying they are rare?
Thanks!

Quoting from Tatiana's Tomatobase, Tatiana says Siberian Pink is "Early to mid season, very productive det. plants, regular leaf rugose foliage, small 1-2 oz oval shaped pink fruits in clusters of 6-10"

You can read about Siberian Pink and see some pictures here, at Tatiana's Tomatobase:
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Siberian_Pink

I suggest you do a quick google search of Siberian Pink, and see what you find! Hope I helped you, and I hope you like Tomatoville.

Taryn

Last edited by tgplp; December 11, 2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Clarifying answer
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #3
paprika
Tomatovillian™

Hey g92k,

Welcome to Tville!

My guess would be that you ordered from Michael at Ohio Heirloom Seeds.
(Good folks and good site by the way!)

Here's the information I got from Michael on Siberian Pink Honey:

Large plant, regular leaf, Indeterminate, produces large blunt pink heart shaped fruit in the 12oz-24oz range. A very meaty and sweet fruit with very few seeds. Very early for a large heart. He had some ripen within 60 days from transplanting this season.

I'll be giving it a trial also this year.

Hope this was helpful.

Paprika
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Welcome to the Forum! Pls post often.
Old December 11, 2011   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

I think that variety came to the U.S. from Andrey Baranovski (Minsk, Belarus), or at least that's from whom I got the seeds a few years ago. I'll look in some back issues of SSE Yearbook on Monday and see whether he ever listed it there. And yes it was described to me as a large to extra large, sweet, pink, blunt heart. I think there were seeds for a similar yellow tomato included in that gift.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I think that variety came to the U.S. from Andrey Baranovski (Minsk, Belarus), or at least that's from whom I got the seeds a few years ago. I'll look in some back issues of SSE Yearbook on Monday and see whether he ever listed it there. And yes it was described to me as a large to extra large, sweet, pink, blunt heart. I think there were seeds for a similar yellow tomato included in that gift.
Travis, I did take a look at the last two Yearbooks and a few before those, maybe saving you some time, and saw only Siberian Pink and this one listed by Tania, which appears to be almost the same as what's being described;

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...elikan_Rozovyi

Maybe yes, maybe no, but she did say the fruit were irregular and that one could see heart shapes and pictured them as well.

I could take a look at my Excel spread sheet from Andrey, but I don't think I have the latest one.

I decided to Google it and there are lots of places selling seeds for Siberian Pink Honey, including Baker Creek, e-bay and some others and I did take a look at the Ohio seed site where it was said it was an heirloom, but at another seed site it was said to be a **selection**, from Western Siberia.

The fact that so many places are selling it suggests that there may be a point source(s)? in the former USSR, ( CIS) and I know that Baker Creek has several sources there for the many varieties from that area as you can see by their tomato listings. Presumably Andrey and Tania do as well.

Also, the same picture for this variety is shown at more than one site.

Hope that helps although I can't answer your direct question g9, b'c I haven't grown it. It seems to be rather new so I'm not sure many have grown it except for maybe Travis who indicated above he had grown it if it's the same one being talked about here that he got seeds for from Andrey .

Google Search:

Oops, the darn cut and paste is stuck on the link I gave from Tania's site so just enter Siberian Pink Honey at Google and up come all the links I talked about above.
Old December 11, 2011   #7
lurley
Tomatovillian™

So the Pink Honey at BC is the same as Siberian Pink Honey? I have some seeds of it and will be trying it this year for the first time.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurley View Post
So the Pink Honey at BC is the same as Siberian Pink Honey? I have some seeds of it and will be trying it this year for the first time.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=19&g...iw=757&bih=403

here's the link to the Google search and pull up the link to Baker Creek for this variety. Notice the picture and this may be the site where it was said it was a **selection** from Western Siberia and if not, then it was one of the other sites.

Darn cut and paste is driving me nuts by retaining a link when I want to post a newer one.

My problem, I'll deal with it. And a lovely plate of Xmas cookies delivered yesterday, so methinks I'll indulge before trying to clean off the tomato seed packing table, organizing seeds, paying bills and watching the birdies at the feeders and then, only then, reading one of my many new books I ordered before I watch some foodie shows on TV tonight or use the TV Sirius station for Holiday music and continue reading.
Old December 11, 2011   #9
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Does Siberian Pink have anything to do with Siberian Pink Honey?
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #10
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

I'm Mike from Ohio Heirloom Seeds. We grow the variety known as "Siberian Pink Honey". I did quite a bit of research on the variety and suspect it is quite similar to the "Pink Honey" variety sold by Baker Creek. Both have similar color, shape, size, and origins.

Our original seeds came from Omsk, Siberia, Russia (my wife's hometown). They were given to me by a life-long gardener from Omsk who has grown this variety his entire life. I was looking for the best open-pollinated variety available in the area and was told this was the best.

Last year I grew 10 plants as a test and was amazed with the results. I ended up with 160 pounds of fruit from these 10 plants, and the fruit weighed 1 to 3 pounds each. They were also the earliest variety I have ever grown.

Last summer was one of the wettest on record here in Ohio and most of my other tomato varieties were affected by Fusarium wilt and other fungi. The Siberian Pink Honey showed absolutely no fungus damage. Fruit-set was far better than any of the other varieties.

I hope this helps.

-Mike
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #11
g92k
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the welcome everyone! @paprika - I did order them from Ohio Heirloom Seeds along with a bunch of other seeds. They are great. My order shipped right away and was received within a few days. I would definitely recommend them! I was looking to try different tomatoes this year and figured I would give them a try.

I did do some searches and only found the Siberian Pink which seemed like a totally different variety to me. Small fruit vs. large fruit, determinant vs. indeterminate.

It will be fun to see how this one does for me. Now I only have to wait 6 months before I can get plants into the garden

Last edited by g92k; December 11, 2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling
g92k is offline   Reply With Quote