Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 25, 2011   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloken View Post
Since this thread got bumped up..Maybe we need to start a new one on hoy?
I had no problem with germination. 5 out of 6 seeds. A couple in pots in the GH and a couple in a bad place outside was the best i could do. Problem was it was way late here in Colorado. they were the fastest growing tomato I have ever grown. No set of fruits was the problem. Little flowers and then drop. I managed to get a couple of tiny little ones to save for seed for myself but I don't trust them to give to any one else. I have two plants now in the window from cuttings. They are 3 foot tall and show no indication to flower yet. But they sure do grow. My thought are that it is a very large plant and very late to produce. It could be that mine just hit the wrong time of the summer. I look forward to trying again next year.
TEd, I don't think we need yet another thread for Hoy b/c there's the one here already in this Forum where strax was introducing it and giving background info, then the one in the Legacy Forum where Richard was talking about seed production and showing pictures and referred folks to the trade Forum, where he'd be offering seeds and so there's that one, and also this one in the GEneneral Discussion area where seed germination was being discussed.

So that's FOUR threads about Hoy alone and if there were four separate threads about a single new variety that anyone introduced, well, just think about that.

I think the background about the variety that strax gave as well as the fruits being large captivated many. But as Richard has said, I think here in this thread, he rates the taste at about 7/10, and taste being personal and subjective, it means to me, at least, that there's going to be a wide range of taste comments based on the fact that taste is both personal and perceptual and also depends on how the plants are grown, the weather in any given season, what amendments are used and which ones and how often, well you get my drift.

There are threads here that go out to many many pages and this one I think is only at page three, and folks are already switching from germination to commenting about other things.

All to say that IMO I don't think another Hoy thread is needed.
Old November 25, 2011   #47
tedln

Carolyn,

Yep! I don't need a new thread. I think my questions about productivity and taste were answered. I've started a new thread in the " Looking For" forum for some Hoy seed and I believe I have some located after I return a PM.

Thanks

Ted
Old November 26, 2011   #48
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Willy,

How many plants did you harvest the beautiful twenty two tomatoes from? Guess I need to go to the "Looking For" forum to locate some seed for the Hoy. While they are truly impressive looking, how did they taste?

If I locate some seed, the next problem will be determining which variety to drop from next years list. I was very happy with my selections until I read this thread again.

Thanks

Ted
Three plants, but my harvest was really weird so it is subjective.
In reality I would have had a least twice as much. I was really surprised by the consistent "honkers" that Hoy produced. Imagine how big one could get if it had fused mega-blossoms?
Old December 4, 2011   #49
WillysWoodPile

If there is not an Tomatville-approved company or person selling Hoy, then I will send some to those who would PM me their address... This offer is open until December 12th. Meaning... I will put the last outgoing mail in the mail on Monday morning Dec. 12th. Or sooner if my "give-away" supply runs out. Merry Christmas!
--- This seed comes from Hoy that are all over 2 lbs.

Terry
Old December 4, 2011   #50
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have a bucket of Hoy in the barn to be processed hopefully sometime this week. That was a variety I had forgotten about and fortunately we found some fruit last week.

If they test out OK, I will have them on my web site in about 3 weeks +-.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2011   #51
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysWoodPile View Post
If there is not an Tomatville-approved company or person selling Hoy, then I will send some to those who would PM me their address... This offer is open until December 12th. Meaning... I will put the last outgoing mail in the mail on Monday morning Dec. 12th. Or sooner if my "give-away" supply runs out. Merry Christmas!
--- This seed comes from Hoy that are all over 2 lbs.

Terry
In addition to what Carol just posted, I don't know if I'm a tomatoville approved person, but I've SSE listed Hoy and will also be offering it for an SASE in my upcoming annual seed offer.

And of course now we have your offer as well Terry.

Considering the number of folks who requested Hoy seed from Richard to Walter, and also Neil in Canada, I've really been surprised that no more folks have offered it in the Seed Exchange.
Old December 5, 2011   #52
WillysWoodPile

This offer is now officially closed... due to my health. I will send out to the people that have already PM'd me.
I may offer sometime in the future depending...

I would appreciate everyone's prayers as I am trying to get in to see the G.I. Doctor.

Terry
Old December 5, 2011   #53
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysWoodPile View Post
This offer is now officially closed... due to my health. I will send out to the people that have already PM'd me.
I may offer sometime in the future depending...

I would appreciate everyone's prayers as I am trying to get in to see the G.I. Doctor.

Terry
Prayers coming your way Terry, and if you feel comfortable sharing with us just a bit after you see the MD that would be nice for those of us who have gotten to know you through your posts and pictures, as well as many others as well.

And if you don't feel comfortable doing that I'm sure everyone understands.
Old December 5, 2011   #54
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Prayers for your good health, and for many fortunate days ahead. Take care of yourself.
Old December 6, 2011   #55
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Prayers coming your way Terry, and if you feel comfortable sharing with us just a bit after you see the MD that would be nice for those of us who have gotten to know you through your posts and pictures, as well as many others as well.

And if you don't feel comfortable doing that I'm sure everyone understands.
Thank you for the kind words everybody. I did finally get an appointment... on January 9th.

... Yes Carolyn, I am more than willing to share most anytime... I just feel the need to concentrate on the issue at hand right now. It's not that I cannot do what is needed... it's that I needed to put up a disclaimer in case of inconsistency. I'm halfway good right now, but was not good at all the last 3 days... I'm all over the map.
Old December 6, 2011   #56
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Terry - I am praying for your continued improvement and clear focus. Please keep us posted. LInda

Last edited by Sun City Linda; December 6, 2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2011   #57
WillysWoodPile

All Hoy seeds sent out today. Have a Merry Christmas everyone.
Old December 8, 2011   #58
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Hey Terry ,

Glad your feeling better..Thanks again for the seeds . Am really excited and can't wait compare to my other big maters.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote