Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 2, 2019   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggplants 2019

I decided to make a new thread where people can post what eggplants they are growing lately and their impressions.

I have 4 growing on my balcony, and 3 in someone's garden. The ones in the garden are doing horribly (they seem smaller than when I transplanted them) so I will, for now, skip over them.

We had a super cold may, and quite cold first half of june, and then it got really too hot. Kamo has been the best growing one in the colder period, so definitely seems more cold tolerant. Both Ping Tung and Thai long green grew unreasonably slow as seedlings, like 1/3 the speed of the other two, so are behind overall.
TLG has strangely small leaves, like a child's palm, and very short internodes, not sure this will produce much looking like this, and the fruit are supposed to be quite big.
Ping Tung is the one with the least spikes (almost none), Kamo has lots, Madonna enough and very stiff, TLG mostly on the calyx.

Kamo is one week away from harvest. A good rule is 3 weeks after fruit set, so I time the first fruit to get an idea of the feel and color of when it's ready. (longer types are supposed to be more like 4 weeks).

In order: Kamo, Thai Long green, Ping Tung, Madonna F1. These are closeups, the fruits are actually quite small, I'll maybe take pictures of the whole plants some other time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_pt_ergebnis.jpg (319.3 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_tlg_ergebnis.jpg (217.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_k_ergebnis.jpg (315.4 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_mad_ergebnis.jpg (287.7 KB, 182 views)
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote