Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 30, 2009   #1
Jackster
Tomatovillian™

Default My sources for tomato seeds

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and looking forward to learning a lot more than what I know about tomatoes. I tried growing about 15 plants last year, 12 of which I started from seeds, and did not do too well. The ones I started from seeds got leggy, and I admit, I may have transplanted them too late, but I'm learning from my mistakes. The most exciting thing (other then I did get a handful of tomatoes) was that I got to encounter a tobacco hornworm caterpillar with parasite cocoons all over its back. It had done a bit of damage, but was not the cause of my poor harvest. (We did have some weather that was a bit unusual last summer here in Connecticut)

This year, I'm trying a few more varieties, and I'll use some fluorescent lights to keep them from getting leggy. I'm also using the Gardens for All book on tomatoes for some advice, as well as reading as much as I can online.

I got my seeds this year from a store similar to Big Lots, - Ocean State Job Lots. They're a chain store, primarily in the Northeast. They have a pretty good sized Burpee display, and the seeds are all discounted 40% off of prices marked.
http://www.osjl.com/

The other place I ordered from was an ebay seller 'seedmart.'

http://stores.ebay.com/Seedmart

They have pretty fast shipping, and a pretty good size selection of all kinds of seeds. Yes, I caved in and got a few carnivorous plant seeds. They have a 10% off code:
SPECIAL OFFER! Get 10% OFF your next Seedmart or Hirt's Garden Internet order by entering the Promotion Code "69101" in our checkout when paying. You can utilize the "SPECIAL OFFER, 10% OFF" for Seedmart, Bulbmart or Hirtsgarden Ebay purchases and website purchases at "www.hirts.com". This offer is valid thru April 2009. This special offer cannot be used for telephone orders. You must use our internet checkout

Anyways, thought I'd introduce myself and hopefully give out some useful information.

Jackster
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote