Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 27, 2020   #1
TigrikT
Tomatovillian™

Default Please! Help! Phytophthora on peppers in Earth Boxes

Could they be saved? I have mancozeb/copper and plant doctor fungicide. They are not compatible and need 10 days interval.
Not sure which one would be better to start with
Also wondering about adding fungicides directly into resrvoir
The disease just started
TigrikT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

From what I have read, fungicides will only help prevent it, not treat it after the fact, so not sure if either will help at this point.

What are you using for a mix in your Earthboxes? And are they also getting hit with rain water? Too wet for too long is usually what brings on the problem.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #3
TigrikT
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the reply. ProMix. 10 years old though.
Some rain water does get into it. But not that much. Maybe during the spring/winter while it was outside. The cover was not tight.

I have sprayed the plants with a Plant Doctor Fungicide as it states it has curative properties. And added some into reservoir.

So far the only stem at the soil line is affected. No damage on leaves. I cut couple of the peppers above the damage and put them into clean ProMix. Maybe it will take.

Thank you again. Very frustrated. 3 boxes show the damage.

BioSafe (5.34% Hydrogen Peroxide, 1.36% Peroxyacetic Acid) stated it is curative too.

Last edited by TigrikT; June 28, 2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old June 29, 2020   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Since you know of nothing that will help why not try the diluted bleach spray. Wet the stem that is affected and the soil immediately around the infected area. If you see no harm then do it again a day or two later and then wait and see if it helps. It is my go to method of working with unknown or so called incurable diseases and it works sometimes on some particularly hard to treat diseases as long as they are not too far along. Mix around 5 1/2 oz of standard 6% sodium hypochlorite bleach in a gallon of water with a dab of dish washing soap. You can make it a bit stronger for really hard to treat problems.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2020   #5
TigrikT
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Bill. I was going to ask you about the Clorox solution.
I have started to use the Plant Doctor (phosphorus acid), sprayed the plants and put 1 TBs in the reservoir. The plants perked up right away.
I want to use your recommendation now on the stem lesions by the soil line.
Thank you again.
Old June 30, 2020   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I hope it works. I have never had to deal with that particular problem which makes it very rare.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote