Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 24, 2013   #1
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

Default beetles destroying my eggplant

I have 2 types of beetles/bugs destroying my leaves. Some are brown and much smaller, but are everywhere. Others are larger brown with yellow stripes. I can't get the plants to gain mush size since all new foliage is being eaten.

what can I use on these things?
Lowlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #2
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Lowlander,

Being an organic gardener- I'd use a product with Spinosad. Jacks Deadbug or Monterey, or whatever you can find locally. I used it for the 1st time this year and have the healthiest eggplants I've ever had.
Old July 25, 2013   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Spinosad primarily targets caterpillar larvae. if you have only beetles spinosad may not be very effective at targeting them. Try washing the plants with insecticidal soap to hopefully get any pheromones off the plant that are drawing new pests to the plant. I crush the beetles and actually leave the dead body(ies) on the leaf. If you aren't organic sevin or malathion works well, too. I try to keep them picked off myself, but try to make sure you aren't spraying while there are bees on the plants pollinating them.
Old July 25, 2013   #4
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

lowlander,

Here is a link to the Monterey product: http://www.planetnatural.com/product...pray-spinosad/

So you can evaluate for your needs. And it's best to spray all of these at dusk to protect our pollinators
Old July 25, 2013   #5
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

thank you guys
Lowlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013   #6
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

I had the same problem last year. I read somewhere lima beans would provide protection to eggplant, so this year I tried it.

I transplanted my eggplant (Early Long Purple) into the center of a 4 foot x 90 foot raised bed with the eggplant 3 feet apart. At the same time I planted 2 rows of Fordhook lima beans on the same bed with 3 feet between the rows. The limas were planted with 2 seeds per hill and 10 inches between the hills. I also planted 2 hills of limas between each hill of eggplant, so they would be boxed in by the limas.

I got almost a 100% stand on the limas, and the Colorado Potato Beatles and Flea Beatles started eating the eggplant the same day they were transplanted. I removed the potato beatles and their larvae by hand (bothersome but effective) until the limas could fill in around the eggplant. When the lima hills reached about 6 to 8 inches in height, the potato beatles and flea beatles disappeared. The lower older leaves of the eggplant are riddled with holes (shotgun pattern now hidden by the limas) but all the new growth is beatle free.

Limas appear to provide protection if you can keep the eggplant alive while the limas are sizing up.

Next year I'm going to plant the limas on separate beds about a month before I transplant the eggplant (intercropped) with turnip greens or bok choy or mustard planted on the eggplant row about 2 weeks before the limas are planted. Claud

I'll try to take some pictures today and post them with a later entry.

Last edited by saltmarsh; July 26, 2013 at 06:55 AM.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013   #7
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Something that isn't "officially" recognized as a control for Colorado Potato Beetles are Lady Bugs. While they won't TOTALLY get rid of them they will help to keep them tolerable.

If you can release some Ladies into the eggplant area around the time CPB larvae are just hatching, the Ladies will eat the small larvae and possibly the eggs too.

We did this several years ago and it really did help a lot. Basically I had purchased a quart or more of Ladies for aphids on my Pepper plants. The Eggplant were planted right next to the peppers and as I had extras I spread them there. I was amazed how much the CPB population dropped.

Just another thing to try that is good for the environment too.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote