Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old November 12, 2016   #226
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Default Not Bad for Nov 12

I was able to scrounge up 25 lbs of fresh picked tomatoes for our final market here today. I've still got them growing on about 80 plants but we are finally getting freeze forecasts for next week. I'm just about as done as my plants are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161112_082229.jpg (443.0 KB, 227 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2016   #227
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Those are pretty. That is great to still be going in November. Did you do multiple plantings? Do you spray a lot?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2016   #228
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks CR. I only did two plantings, with the 2nd one only replacing failed 1st plants and only amounted to 12 plants, about 3 weeks after my initial planting on April 17. I sprayed weekly until late September with 70% neem and BT. I haven't done anything to these plants except water since the beginning of October. They are really looking sad but the end is nigh.
Old November 12, 2016   #229
imp
Tomatovillian™

Looks great, SC!! Very good, especially for this time of year.

I like this thread, even if my garden bit the behinders this year, as all farmers and gardeners say "There is always next year!". <grin>
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2016   #230
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I have had a SunGold plant that just keeps chugging along. Might finally have lost it in a frost last night, however.

It is nice to finish the season with such a pretty picture!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #231
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm back at it for another season. In April, the color of my table is mostly green, the exception being grandma's jelly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20170415_075856.jpg (470.4 KB, 167 views)
Old April 15, 2017   #232
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Looking good. Are people planting out in your area yet? I'm tempted as the long range forecast looks good but hate to take a chance with all my babies. They have only been hardening off a couple of days. Your table looks so vibrant/hardy green.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #233
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm back at it for another season. In April, the color of my table is mostly green, the exception being grandma's jelly.
Very clean setup Cole. The plants look really healthy. Wished I was there to get some of grandmas jelly. . Can't beat homemade . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #234
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Real nice Cole! What kind of potting mix do you use with the plants you sell?
Old April 15, 2017   #235
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys. I have found over the years that market customers want to buy tomato plants as soon as the weather is warm. Today was only our second market of the spring, but the weather was unseasonable warm. I have planted some of my outdoor plants, but only a small fraction. The wind beating them up is the worst part of the weather right now. Last year, the spring weather was a big head fake. It was 80 and sunny most of April, then 50's and rainy for most of May. I have no idea if this year will be like that or not.

I use the mix pictured below, $14 at Menards for the compressed bale that expands to 4 cubic feet. It's mostly peat. I do like the Fafard mixes with pine bark fines better, but I have to buy them a pallet at a time.

Also, I do add a little Mycogrow, and I use Osmocote as a fertilizer. The Osmocote is a 3-month time-release, so customers get their plants pre-fertilized. Often they will come back the next week to tell me how the plants they bought from me are racing ahead of others planted at the same time. It's the Osmocote.

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; April 15, 2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old April 16, 2017   #236
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Oh my gosh, look at those glorious plants! We are still too cold and rainy here in Oregon to plant tomatoes. In fact, we have a freeze warning in effect for the weekend. :-( I had my first day at market yesterday and did well with my jams, baked goods and limited produce. The Swiss chard sold out. My friend in the next booth was selling tomato starts and I just kept shaking my head. He knows it is at least a month out until planting here but he sells them because people will buy them. Poor plants are doomed.
Old April 16, 2017   #237
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Cole, your plants look great. Would you mind if I ask how much you sell them for? I am still at the stage of gardening where I buy my plants, usually the little 4pk trays and nuture them for about 3 weeks before planting season. I see some people locally spending $20 for a single tomato plant, yikes!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #238
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Great looking plants! I guess the price depends in part on the local market and in part on what your competition is charging. Bet theirs aren't as nice! Hope you sold out!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #239
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I did almost sell out. My market has some of the lowest prices in the country. I sell my plants in 4" pots for $2, or 3 for $5. Almost everyone takes the $5 deal. Last Saturday, I sold the gallon-size pots for $4. The going price for a 6-pack of plants at my market is $1.50. I've learned to not even bother selling 6-packs because the price is so low.

I've seen pics of other markets in Colorado where my $2 plants are $6. I've also seen them for $12 in New York City. Price is very relative to location.
Old April 16, 2017   #240
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Wow Cole, that is cheap. Around here they sell 4" pots for $3.98 each. Single little yogurt size
Cups are $2.29 and little ice cube size 4pk are $2.29. I think the gallon size is $14.00. I just but the little 4pk and repot then for a few weeks before plant out. If I lived in your area I would be a customer.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote