Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 24, 2017   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The Grub I know is David Lockwood from Australia who was the one associated with Grub's Mystery Green.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w..._Mystery_Green

He no longer posts here or anywhere else that I know of. He married and started a family and last he posted here he showed pictures of his new baby girl.

Fakel is red

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Fakel

Oaxacan?

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Oaxacan_Jewel

In Tania's link please note the correct spelling for this variety.

Oaxaca is a beautiful city in Mexico known for its archaeological treasures and fine cusine.I know several folks who go there each year forvacation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Oaxa...&bih=788&dpr=1

There are others I could fetch links for you Starlight,but one of your best friends is Tania's excellent data base site followed by what should be another good friend and that's Google.

Carolyn
Old June 25, 2017   #32
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Wonder what Fakel means? So far they like oversized cherries. Making lots of clusters.
If you followed Carolyn's link to Fakel at Tatiana's, you'll know that "fakel" means "torch" in Russian. In Norwegian, "fakkel" has the same meaning. Great photos and plants, by the way!

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #33
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Linda'a Faux is a NOT Acker's West Virginia. It is a PL plant with larger fruit and better production. See this link for the history. http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Linda's_Faux
Thanks! Ran out and double checked to make sure mine was a PL and it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Grub is a great character! It is his username on many garden forums. I do believe that iDig is one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
The Grub I know is David Lockwood from Australia who was the one associated with Grub's Mystery Green.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w..._Mystery_Green

He no longer posts here or anywhere else that I know of. He married and started a family and last he posted here he showed pictures of his new baby girl.

Fakel is red

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Fakel

Oaxacan?

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Oaxacan_Jewel

In Tania's link please note the correct spelling for this variety.

Oaxaca is a beautiful city in Mexico known for its archaeological treasures and fine cusine.I know several folks who go there each year forvacation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Oaxa...&bih=788&dpr=1

There are others I could fetch links for you Starlight,but one of your best friends is Tania's excellent data base site followed by what should be another good friend and that's Google.

Carolyn
Thanks for keeping me straight Carolyn on these names and for adding a bit of history. Yes, Tania's database is excellent. My dial up slower than ever and keeping up with plants and storm damages left and right, just haven't had the time to go there lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
If you followed Carolyn's link to Fakel at Tatiana's, you'll know that "fakel" means "torch" in Russian. In Norwegian, "fakkel" has the same meaning. Great photos and plants, by the way!

Steve
Appreciate the information. Thanks for the comment too, now to get some help for these guys.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #34
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

These next pics for FredB.

The first three pics up is the Tropical Yellow trial seeds. Some very, very tall and well branched plants loaded with clusters of these 1+" tomatoes. All the Tropical yellow plants well over 10' and still loading up on more fruits. Some are finally turning.

The rest of the pics are from the Coyote X FL. Pink different F's. At first I didn't see to much difference between them, but now I do. Nice tall plants. Most over 9 feet. Plenty of these small beefsteak types.

Now that the plants have matured a bit, you can see the difference not only in the different F's, but also in the same F's where I have more than one plant.

Some are showing smooth shoulders and fruit body. Some have a small amount of ribbing/fluting ( think that the right term.) One plant all the fruit is heavily ribbed.

Even have one plant that all the fruits have tiny bits of tomato growing out bottom. You can see of that under General Forum titled, "Have you seen this."

No blushing yet, but I am watching. I know they the cutiest little tomatoes I have evr seen. They make me smile when I see them everyday.

Last pic, is general shot. All those plants are yours you see. They have held up to evreything Mother Nature could throw at them. Cold, extreme heat and humidity, hurricane winds, tons of rain and flooding. Plants are very healthy, no signs of disease or bothered by pests.

They have all been given the same treatment. Soil mix is KGRO potting soil with some perlite added. All get TT every other week with same amount of Epsom Salt and watered six days , when not raining, with MG. All are grown in 3 gallon containers.

Can't wait to try one to see how they taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Fred's 008.JPG (131.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 009.JPG (126.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Punta BandanTropicalYellow 001.JPG (276.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 006.JPG (109.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 010.JPG (119.4 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 012.JPG (726.5 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 013.JPG (104.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 014.JPG (108.2 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 017.JPG (152.1 KB, 158 views)
Old June 30, 2017   #35
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Wow! That is outstanding growth in only 3 gallon containers. Looking forward to your taste evaluations.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #36
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Wow! That is outstanding growth in only 3 gallon containers. Looking forward to your taste evaluations.

Raybo
Thanks Raybo! I'm sill learning to grow tomatoes. Found out the hard way that some of these large tomatoes that hitting 10+ in plant height and big size need lots bigger containers. A lesson for next year.

I'll save seed for the MMM Swap and extras for give aways first and then I'll taste me a couple.

For the ones I trialing for different folks. I'll save them seed and send them fresh tomatoes for them to try. I don't know how to do skin and good taste evaluations yet. Need to learn how, but have a feeling that is going to take some time. I'm still trying to figure out what some of the shapes called.
Old July 2, 2017   #37
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the great pictures! The Coyote x Florida Pink cross is between two very different varieties (tiny yellow cherry x huge pink beefsteak), so size, shape, and color of the F2s and F3s will be all over the map. Flavor, too. Coyote is very sweet but has an odd aftertaste that reminds me of certain types of tropical fruit. It seems a little bitter to me and I don't care for it. Anyway, some of the F2s and F3s will have that taste and some won't.

Tropical Yellow also has Coyote ancestry, but I can't remember what else is in its background. I apparently didn't keep detailed enough notes back 10 years ago when I found it. In any case, it seems to have stabilized on yellow color and cherry size.
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #38
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post
Thanks for the great pictures! The Coyote x Florida Pink cross is between two very different varieties (tiny yellow cherry x huge pink beefsteak), so size, shape, and color of the F2s and F3s will be all over the map. Flavor, too. Coyote is very sweet but has an odd aftertaste that reminds me of certain types of tropical fruit. It seems a little bitter to me and I don't care for it. Anyway, some of the F2s and F3s will have that taste and some won't.

Tropical Yellow also has Coyote ancestry, but I can't remember what else is in its background. I apparently didn't keep detailed enough notes back 10 years ago when I found it. In any case, it seems to have stabilized on yellow color and cherry size.
Now that the sun has come out, sheesh, it 105F with humidity, Tropical Yellow is turning like crazy. Loads of these tasty little treats. I have to go pick a bunch of them before the deer or the tomato worms get to them. I discovered that if you leave them on too long, they start to turn a yellow/orange color. They taste even sweeter, but still not sick sweet. Since I finally had so many ripe ones, I decided to taste a couple. They are sweet, but not sickening super sweet. Besides being sweet tasting, you kind of get an old fashion home-grown tomato taste mixed in there. Quite pleasant.
I would say the Tropical Yellow is stablized. All the plants I have of it, they all look and taste the same. Is it one I would grow again? Most definitely.

Coyote X Florida Pink, looks like they starting to get some of them that white kinda looking color before blushing. Thanks for the info on it. I'll get you pics of ripening fruit soon as they turn.
Old July 5, 2017   #39
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post

Coyote I know well, and the history

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Coyote

But I can find no mention of a variety called Tropical Yellow anywhere.

Coyote does have a yellowish shade to it when in the sun so I'm wondering and suggesting that they are one and the same.

Carolyn
Old July 6, 2017   #40
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Star, I wasn't sure where to post this. I just wanted you to see how the Golden Starlight is progressing.

I'm not sure if I should label them F3 or F4? The original seed was supposed to be a Pink Bumblebee, but turned out to be beefsteak size and pink/red. I nicknamed the seeds saved 'Starlight F2' because Star said I should save seeds. The next grow out F2 grew a beefsteak sized gold tomato - I saved seeds calling them Golden Starlight F3. Grew those this year and it grew a golden orange beefsteak sized tomato. To make a long story short, after taking the pictures - I relabeled them as F4s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0037.JPG (67.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0038.JPG (68.3 KB, 103 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #41
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Star, I wasn't sure where to post this. I just wanted you to see how the Golden Starlight is progressing.

I'm not sure if I should label them F3 or F4? The original seed was supposed to be a Pink Bumblebee, but turned out to be beefsteak size and pink/red. I nicknamed the seeds saved 'Starlight F2' because Star said I should save seeds. The next grow out F2 grew a beefsteak sized gold tomato - I saved seeds calling them Golden Starlight F3. Grew those this year and it grew a golden orange beefsteak sized tomato. To make a long story short, after taking the pictures - I relabeled them as F4s.
Salt... Oh look how pretty she is!!!! How does she taste? I'm so glad you have continued to grow her out. Please keep her going. few more years and she should, hopefully be stable. You do the F4 and make a note and I'm making one too, to remember to grow the F2 you sent me out for next year. Shame on me, I forgot all about mine. Had just to many seeds. Making note to self for it to be first on my next grow out.

Thanks so much for posting pic. Made my day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Coyote I know well, and the history

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Coyote

But I can find no mention of a variety called Tropical Yellow anywhere.

Coyote does have a yellowish shade to it when in the sun so I'm wondering and suggesting that they are one and the same.

Carolyn
Carolyn.. I could be wrong on this, but think the name Tropical Yellow is what FredB has named it. He also has a Tropical Red too, but I have to regrow those for next year as the flooding and hurricane winds destroyed the tiny seedlings.

I have seeds for Coyote to do a comparison with alongside the Tropicals, but only had so much room and time and preferred to do the grow out crosses for folks first.

Tropical Yellow I have decided I really like the taste of when it turns a yellow/orange color.
Old July 6, 2017   #42
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

These next pics for FredH.

Fred... Finally got the camera to work right to get you pics of your GBT F's.

These plants sure do love to grow tall. They nice and healthy and a couple I had to top back to 10' as they were well over 12' and I could reach that tall anymore and they didn't like trying to grow down over a drop line. One of the pics below shows how tall they are. They reaching for the clouds.

Plants are nice and healthy. Been through every type of weather and not dropping blossoms even in our 101F temps with humidity. They aren't wilting, but I sure am.

The foliage is all the same on all the different plants. A regular leaf that wispy and it like to hang down. The real difference is in the fruits. Some of the fruits are the size of what Green Tiger is. Some are 1/4" to 1/2" shorter and some are a bit fatter than others. Some are more rounded on the bottom and some more pointed and nippled.

So far they all seem to have that I call it faint stripping of darker green to lighter green. Finally the first fruit has started blushing. Last pics. This first blushing does remind me of how Green Tiger first started turning. Not sure how well you can see it or not, but at the bottom of the fruit. Small red patches have started to develop. Not sure yet if they plan on continuing or will become full stripes or not.

It is going to be interesting to see how it does fully turn and also how the rest of the different F's develop their color.

I'm hoping it tastes as good as what Blush did. I'm hoping it hangs through the heat, humidity and GrayMold and Late Blights that come through the South here.

All my tomatoes are grown the same. Soil mix is KGRO potting soil with some perlite added. All get TT every other week with same amount of Epsom Salt and watered six days , when not raining, with MG. All are grown in 3 gallon containers.

Will add more pics for you when they start turning and saving your seeds and will send you some ripe tomatoes to taste test. That is after I eat one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Fred's 021.JPG (106.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 022.JPG (117.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 023.JPG (119.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 024.JPG (123.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 025.JPG (94.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 026.JPG (178.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 028.JPG (138.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg The Fred's 029.JPG (111.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg OldWyandottenRioGrande 009.JPG (376.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg OldWyandottenRioGrande 010.JPG (393.7 KB, 101 views)
Old July 6, 2017   #43
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Old Wyandotte

Now that sun is finally out Old Wyandotte is making tomatoes and growing. It definately seems to like heat and humidity over rain and cloudy days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldWyandottenRioGrande 002.JPG (198.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg OldWyandottenRioGrande 001.JPG (186.5 KB, 99 views)
Old July 6, 2017   #44
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Punta Banda is Ripe

Gotta love this tomato. It's a work horse and now it has turned. A crazy tomato making machine. One plant would have been enough, but I grew two. Now I have Punta's like crazy. Sure glad they going to other folks to eat.

Tomatoes range from 1 to 1 1/2 oz. Nice bright red color. Skin is a bit thick and the tomato itself is very meaty. Few seeds. Taste has just a hint of sweetness to it. A grow again for me for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldWyandottenRioGrande 003.JPG (230.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg OldWyandottenRioGrande 004.JPG (226.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg OldWyandottenRioGrande 005.JPG (193.7 KB, 94 views)
Old July 7, 2017   #45
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Rio Grande

I may never get across country to see the place, but I got the tomato.
Fruit starts out with a nipple that disappears as it fills out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldWyandottenRioGrande 008.JPG (202.3 KB, 94 views)