Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old March 21, 2017   #31
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Sure thing Robert. I'll send you a SASE envelope when the time comes just pm me. I've never grown onions from seeds but would definitely give it a whirl. Last year we grew Georgia Sweet from sets from our local coop and they did really well. We wanted to try the Candy this year. Couldn't resist the way they looked in the Dixondale catalog. Intermediate onions will do well here.
Thanks again, Mark
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #32
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Wildcat, I have grown both the Candy Onions and Red Candy Apple Onions from Dixondale for a few years now. The candy onions are really good here. The Red Candy Apple onions are intermediate day onions. (They should be called Candy Apple Red, but they're not.) I have planted a lot of second year Red Candy Apple onions and some are already showing signs of going to seed. If you are interested, I can send you some seeds when they are ready.

I'm thinking that Intermediate day onions should produce well in Kentucky.
Are you sure these Candy onions are not hybrid?I didn't check and could very well be wrong but seems to me I remember Candy onion being hybrid.No idea about the red ones.

Just checked, Candy is hybrid, guess you could still save seed and see what you get

Last edited by seaeagle; March 21, 2017 at 01:50 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The Candy onions are hybrid. We bought sets for years from the same place. They are really cheap here (Around $2 a bunch)

I planted out Texas 1015Y this year because they're OP and they just as good. It has been fun growing onions from seed the past two years.

The Red Candy Apple onion seeds http://www.dixondalefarms.com/produc...ate_day_onions "Dixondale Farms' exclusive since we are the only ones with the rights to the seed."

They aren't telling if they are OP or hybrid.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #34
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The Candy onions are hybrid. We bought sets for years from the same place. They are really cheap here (Around $2 a bunch)

I planted out Texas 1015Y this year because they're OP and they just as good. It has been fun growing onions from seed the past two years.

The Red Candy Apple onion seeds http://www.dixondalefarms.com/produc...ate_day_onions "Dixondale Farms' exclusive since we are the only ones with the rights to the seed."

They aren't telling if they are OP or hybrid.
Park Seed says hybrid and 20 dollars for 60 sets.I can buy onions already grown for that price.I am assuming a set is one plant.Dixondale's patent must have worn off cause lots of seed vendors selling them now.

http://parkseed.com/red-candy-apple-...p/96541-PK-60/

Last edited by seaeagle; March 21, 2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old March 21, 2017   #35
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Park Seed says hybrid and 20 dollars for 60 sets.I can buy tomatoes already grown for that price.I am assuming a set is one plant.Dixondale's patent must have worn off cause lots of seed vendors selling them now.

http://parkseed.com/red-candy-apple-...p/96541-PK-60/
The Parks site says they're hybrids. Look how small they are. hmm?

Same thing at Gurneys.

Jung and Seeds n Such are using a different picture from the ones above.

All agree they are hybrids. A set of onions is around 50 plants depending on size.

After reading those sites and prices, maybe we should all sell onion sets.
Old March 21, 2017   #36
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mark,

After finding out Red Candy Apple is/are hybrid, who knows if the F2 seeds would even grow much less produce.

The one I replaced them with this year is Red Burgundy (An OP) It is a short day onion. This is one of many links http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Red_B...d_burgundy.htm

$1.79 for 100 seeds is cheap. I would go with that instead of trying an F2 from seed.
Old March 21, 2017   #37
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I bought the red white and yellow bulbs this year, mixed 100 bulbs for about 2 dollars at Wally World.They are even cheaper at the local Southern States but they don't mix them.

What I found out last year is onions grow great in containers and are much easier to care for. I planted about 30 in the ground and the rest in containers.

Onions do look like a high profit margin business.
Old March 21, 2017   #38
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Park Seed says hybrid and 20 dollars for 60 sets.I can buy onions already grown for that price.I am assuming a set is one plant.Dixondale's patent must have worn off cause lots of seed vendors selling them now.

http://parkseed.com/red-candy-apple-hybrid-onion-plants/p/96541-PK-60/
Looking at Parks again it doesn't say sets it says pack of 60 for 19.95.That is totally outrageous
OK I am finished now
Old March 21, 2017   #39
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mark,

After finding out Red Candy Apple is/are hybrid, who knows if the F2 seeds would even grow much less produce.

The one I replaced them with this year is Red Burgundy (An OP) It is a short day onion. This is one of many links http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Red_B...d_burgundy.htm

$1.79 for 100 seeds is cheap. I would go with that instead of trying an F2 from seed.
OK Robert, no worries my friend
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #40
730dcm
Tomatovillian™

you can get the same dixondale sets from morgan county seeds for $2 per set. mine where pretty small thought not sure if i got unlucky. bought some from gurney which im sure is dixdale plants as well but these where much larger plants and look much better then the once i got from morgan county.
730dcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #41
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Well, I had high hopes for my first Texas 1015Y onion plants that have been growing for the past 3 months:

The growth looked excellent however, after pulling 4 of them I am disappointed:

It would appear that I transplanted the seedlings much too deep in the soil. Oh well, a lesson learned for next year - - they do smell great drying out on the deck!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #42
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

There you are! I just posted that you're one of the people I'd like to see posting again.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #43
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

rnewste, The first picture looks like you planted them at the right depth. I looked up Campbell CA, and it looks like you might need to plant Intermediate-day onions. 1015Y is a short day onion that should do well planted southern CA. Upper CA needs long day onions. Onions are fickle on where you grow them. I grow short day onions, but have tried Intermediate-day onions that just don't grow very big for us.

I'm going to do more research on this, and will get back with you on what I find.
Old April 30, 2017   #44
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not even close to being ready to pull, count the leaves, they wont even start to bulb up yet this time of year.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017   #45
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I bought Candy onion seed from Park and planted them in January - I missed the smell of potting soil in the winter and couldn't bring myself to pay the Dixondale price for plants. I used to just get the sets from Walmart . . . which were the wrong onions for an intermediate day state!

For the first year, I planted the right kind of onions.

I ran across some Candy red plants in Harrisonburg and picked them up. They had suffered through some pretty cold temps but are starting to put on some heft.

I'll go with seed again this next year. The seed can be planted when nothing else is growing and the plants planted out way before the warm weather seedlings need any attention.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote