Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 25, 2016   #1
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Default Kalettes

Has anybody grown these yet? I see Johnny's has them, but are way to expensive with the shipping to try them and I see Hirts in Medina has them so I am going to stop and pick up some seeds from them today, but any help/ hints for growing them will be welcome. Thanks.
Old February 25, 2016   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I planted a 6-pack in November. It was an impulse purchase -- I was surprised to see them in the nursery. For the few days the garden bed was uncovered, it was the favorite plant of the roof rats! (They also liked the broccoli seedlings.) Haven't harvested any yet.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2016   #3
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I've only seen them at Johnny's and Hirt's (on Amazon). A blog called Lavender and Leeks grew them last year I think? There may be a video that mentioned how they were growing them and Brussels Sprouts (pretty much the same growing instructions it looked like).
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #4
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I grew them last year. They are stunningly beautiful plants with very tasty leaves. The kalettes themselves were tasty, but almost too late for my zone 4a garden.
Old March 5, 2016   #5
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
I grew them last year. They are stunningly beautiful plants with very tasty leaves. The kalettes themselves were tasty, but almost too late for my zone 4a garden.
FarmerShawn, when did you set out your transplants? (I'm thinking about buying some seeds. I can't resist a pretty version of one of my garden favorites -Brussels Sprouts.)
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #6
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Default Kalettes ready for harvesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Has anybody grown these yet? I see Johnny's has them, but are way to expensive with the shipping to try them and I see Hirts in Medina has them so I am going to stop and pick up some seeds from them today, but any help/ hints for growing them will be welcome. Thanks.
First year growing kalettes for me. I picked them up on clearance in late June just before the local seasonal grocery garden centre closed.

They are finally ready for harvesting after a couple of frosts. Still small but I'm not sure they will get much larger before winter really sets in here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161203_16_06_40_Pro.jpg (352.5 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161203_16_06_51_Pro.jpg (354.0 KB, 155 views)
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2016   #7
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

I grew them this year, and I love them. I topped them sometime in October, and they filled out very nicely. I love roasting them like I would brussel sprouts as the leaves kinda get crispy. Yum Yum. I roasted them one time with a few strips of bacon cut up and my kids ate 1/2 a plants worth each!

In fact I have a few plants still out there, covered in snow mind you, and I'm sure they are going to taste delish.

Johnny's had a special I posted about where they were offering them for more then 50% off! I bought 100 seeds to last me a few seasons (hopefully several, but I guess we will see!)
Old December 4, 2016   #8
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiquee View Post
I grew them this year, and I love them. I topped them sometime in October, and they filled out very nicely. I love roasting them like I would brussel sprouts as the leaves kinda get crispy. Yum Yum. I roasted them one time with a few strips of bacon cut up and my kids ate 1/2 a plants worth each!

In fact I have a few plants still out there, covered in snow mind you, and I'm sure they are going to taste delish.

Johnny's had a special I posted about where they were offering them for more then 50% off! I bought 100 seeds to last me a few seasons (hopefully several, but I guess we will see!)
Thanks for the hint on topping off. I top my tomatoes but never thought of the kalettes.
Old January 2, 2017   #9
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Thought this might be a nice addition to this thread ........ some recipes from the creators of Kalettes
http://www.kalettes.com/cooking-recipes/
Old January 2, 2017   #10
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We also grew 2 Kalette plants in 2016 and agree they were very tasty roasted. Will definitely grow these in the future--we liked the flavor better than brussels sprouts.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #11
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Thought this might be a nice addition to this thread ........ some recipes from the creators of Kalettes
http://www.kalettes.com/cooking-recipes/
Thanks for the recipe link. Some nice ideas there.
Old January 10, 2017   #12
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

We harvested another 2 plants from the garden for my daughter. She had them with eggs for breakfast.

Is anyone growing kalettes from seed this year?
Old January 10, 2017   #13
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Elaine I will be. I'm planning on putting in 25 plants I liked em so much! I will start them when I start my other brassicas for my zone which will be mid march for late April set out.
Old January 10, 2017   #14
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Here's a super unflattering pic of me holding a kalette(the things I do for this forum.) I had topped to show how nicely they fill in. The bald spot is where I had already harvested some before I knew about topping them. They were pretty uniform!!IMG_2135.jpg

All my plants I grew from seed.
Old January 11, 2017   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

There is nothing unflattering about your picture. Your kalettes look awesome. I will try them again this year. I accidentally killed off all of mine last year before I even got them in the ground.