Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2012   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default PNW folks,tomatoes not under cover

I am interested in knowing how many if any folks in the PNW where the blight is bad grow their tomaties in the ground but without shelters.

I have a fairly large greenhouse , the plants in there are in pots but I also want to put some tomatoes in raised beds in the open.

I would rather not put up shelters if I can avoid .

do you copper spray or ??

I shall be using eearlies or midseason for the most part

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #2
troad
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine,
I grow tomatoes in the ground both with and without shelter. The biggest problem I have is getting Gray Mold in the hoophouse if I do not get it ventilated enough.
The unsheltered plants I try to keep well spaced apart. The real problem for the unsheltered tomatoes has been a lack of warm weather the last two summers. So far no blight. I spray with Bonide Fung-onil at the first sign of trouble in the hoophouse and keep a watch on the plants outside.
Len
Old February 28, 2012   #3
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

I grow all my tomatoes in ground outside and never have a problem with blight, knock on wood. I save up egg shells all year and put a handful of crushed eggshells in each hole I dig to plant a tomato plant, fertilize with worm castings from my bin and my plants have been producing an abundance of tomatoes, even with our less than stellar last two seasons. I have been fortunate and hopefully will have good fortune again this year!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #4
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

I grow tomatoes outside and in my hoophouse (no blight in there! Just lots of mold and other yucky diseases )

I seem to get blight every year so far, but last year was the best year because I didn't get blight until September, when the plants were finishing up. I think this was because this is the first year I tried using actinovate and myco grow. These little microbe mixes seemed to really help my plants grow! I highly recommend them.

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012   #5
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

What is actinovate and myco grow please?

Thank you for all your help.

I am growing to try in and out I think this year too

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote