Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 16, 2010   #76
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Here in Chicago I've found that setting my tomato plants out from Memorial day into the first week of June gives best results. Less chance of early blight.

So that means I'll start my seeds in mid April. Every year my seedlings are big and strong after just 5 weeks under lights indoors. Then one week of hardening off and I'm good to go.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2010   #77
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I started my first peppers 1/9/ 2010, my first tomatoes 1/15 and my second batch of tomatoes 1/28. I had 16 varieties that didn't germinate at all and another 20 or so that only got one or two seedlings. This was a really cold year and my greenhouse stayed too cold even though I used a gas heater for several nights but cost is very high and still had poor germination. Now that it is warming up I'll replant about 35 varieties and some others that I haven't tried to start yet in the next week or so.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2010   #78
tweetybaby2005
Tomatovillian™

I'm starting my tomato seeds the weekend of March 13. Since peppers take a bit longer to germinate, I'm going to start the seeds this weekend. With the crazy weather here in south central KS, not sure if the frost free date will hold this year but I'm sure the seedlings will be fine under the light in my basement for a couple of weeks past the date.
tweetybaby2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2010   #79
Budge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersville View Post
When is you 2010 season seed starting date ?

Mine is feb 15.

I live in southeastern Michigan, zone 5, and the first safe frost free date here is usually considered to be May 15th, so many or most people here start seed 6 weeks earlier or about April 5th.
Budge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2010   #80
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

On 1-8-10 I was going to start anyday - well mid of last week started 250 outside on seed starting mats - temps were rainy and cold for last 2 weeks - oh well - at about 60% germination overall because seeds from Heirloom acres have only germinated 27% and Heirloom seeds 50% - TF has done the best so far at 74% but more coming up daily
plan to start my next tray tomorrow and more as the weather warms
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote