Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 16, 2012   #1
maf
Tomatovillian™

Default Sungreen, Sunchocola, Sunlemon, Sunpeach

Sungreen, Sunchocola, Sunlemon, Sunpeach are some new introductions from Tokita seeds, the company that bred Sungold. You can guess the colors from the names mostly, although sunpeach is a pink.

They don't seem to be available in the UK yet but several seed suppliers in the US are listing some or all of them. Anyone tried them yet? Or planning to this season?

Some links:

Sungreen at Tokita's Japanese site

Territorial Seed carry Sungreen

Johnny's carry Sunpeach

I noticed Osborne Seed Company was listing all 4

Sunlemon at Osborne Seed

Sunchocola at Osborne Seeds
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2012   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Over $.50 per seed is a little rich for my blood, but I guess if I was in a part of the country that required all the disease tolerance I might try them.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2012   #3
maxfromaustralia
Tomatovillian™

Sungreen for me grew into a very large plant producing large grape shaped fruit about 3 cms long and 11/2 cms wide. Ripe fruit remained darker green at the shoulders, lighter green towards the base with a slight bronzing when ripe. I haven't had enough to cook but eaten fresh juicy, sweetish fruit not as good IMO as Sungold Select 2. I have only eaten a few at this stage (as the first of all my fruit goes for seed) and would only give it 6.5/10. A grow again for colour in mixed salsas but not one that kids would graze on in the garden. Cheers max
maxfromaustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2012   #4
maf
Tomatovillian™

Interesting Max. The Sungreens in the seed company photo's do not seem as elongated as yours, theirs are only slightly grape shaped.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2012   #5
maxfromaustralia
Tomatovillian™

Hi maf. Ate some cooked in an omelette this morning and they were great cooked. sweet and fruity. mine are definitely longer than wide. being more tapered at the top you could say egg shaped and proportioned. they are larger than cherries up to 2x but the bush has been grown in optimum soil including generous levels of home made compost. I'm looking forward to the next generation as the seeds were f1s. here in Australia the days are mid 30s C currently Cheers Max
maxfromaustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2012   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i bit the bullet and paid 6 bucks for some sunchocola. i wasnt thrilled with black cherry last season and chocolate cherry was just ok so i'm hoping for something a little more to my liking.

these dont seem as dark as choc and black cherry but would still offer the color contrast i like to use in my recipes.

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2013   #7
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Chef Jeff, anything to report on Sunchocola? Germination, vigor? Burpee says Sunchocola "is a vast improvement over the heirloom chocolate..." That is quite a claim. Interested in following this one.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2013   #8
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

germination was great and the seedlings are about the same as all my other varieties. nice and healthy looking!!!

i wont be able to report back on taste for a couple of months. i was actually going to resurrect this thread asking for reports on flavor from the southern gardeners.

anyone else able to chime in on sunchocola or any of the other new ones listed in the op?

Last edited by TightenUp; April 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2013   #9
travis
Tomatovillian™

Grew Sunchocola last summer, purchased from Osborne Seed Co.

Good germination and vigorous early growth leading to good yield of maroon cherries larger than Sun Gold. Color was similar to Black Cherry but with yellow epidermis. Flavor sweet and good but not as fruity and intense as Sun Gold, and foliage lacked the unique "oily" herbal aroma.

Plants set fruit well thru heat, but later season fruit tended to split badly, similarly to Sun Gold, in association with rain, and flavor deteriorated with cool or damp weather. Most of the fall fruit went unharvested.

Have Sungreen seeds this year from same vendor, but haven't started any and probably won't until next year maybe.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2013   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've got Sunpeach seedlings- 100% germination and happy little plants but it'll also be months before I can report anything about the fruits.

Since I'm looking for a dark cherry that's the same size as Sungold or smaller, I passed on Sunchocola but I am trying Austin's Black Cherry and another Sungold-size dark cherry that is supposed to be smaller than Black Cherry. I'd be happy to report on any or all of them when the time comes.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2013   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I've got Sunpeach seedlings- 100% germination and happy little plants but it'll also be months before I can report anything about the fruits.

Since I'm looking for a dark cherry that's the same size as Sungold or smaller, I passed on Sunchocola but I am trying Austin's Black Cherry and another Sungold-size dark cherry that is supposed to be smaller than Black Cherry. I'd be happy to report on any or all of them when the time comes.

kath
Kath, have you considered growing Kazachka? I liked it,either in the mini-beefsteak form or the cherry form and it is dark .

Carolyn
Old April 19, 2013   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Kath, have you considered growing Kazachka? I liked it,either in the mini-beefsteak form or the cherry form and it is dark .

Carolyn
Carolyn, I think I've only heard descriptions about the size of the mini-beefsteak form. What how big is the cherry version? I'm looking for something that is only "one bite" size, like Sungold.

kath
Old April 20, 2013   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Carolyn, I think I've only heard descriptions about the size of the mini-beefsteak form. What how big is the cherry version? I'm looking for something that is only "one bite" size, like Sungold.

kath
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com./wik...b=General_Info

Kath, the variety Kazachka was sent to me by Andrey in 09 and when I first grew it out, b'c I did have two plants here at home, I found , as did the person who was doing seed production for me, that a plant would have all cherries, and a different plant would have all what I called mini-beefsteaks.

I asked Andrey about it and he said he got the same, and save seeds from the cherries and you get some plants with them and some with beefsteaks and save seeds from the mini-beefs and you get both kinds on different plants.

I linked to Tania's page for it but there isn't a lot of info there and the plate with the mini=beef fruits look a bit large to me, but whatever.

Tania also has a seperate page for the Mini-beef and says it's red. But both fruit forms are the same dark color, about the color of Black Cherry. I do like Black Cherry a lot but I also like Kazachka very much as well. Slightly different tastes, actually, at least for me.

In one of my recent seed offers here I was offering it, maybe it was the most recent one, and explained about the different fruit forms.

And yes, as grown by both Andrey and the person doing the seed production and me, both fruit forms are one bite fruits but fruit size can be variable, as is true with the fruits of most varieties..

Carolyn
Old April 20, 2013   #14
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com./wik...b=General_Info

Kath, the variety Kazachka was sent to me by Andrey in 09 and when I first grew it out, b'c I did have two plants here at home, I found , as did the person who was doing seed production for me, that a plant would have all cherries, and a different plant would have all what I called mini-beefsteaks.

I asked Andrey about it and he said he got the same, and save seeds from the cherries and you get some plants with them and some with beefsteaks and save seeds from the mini-beefs and you get both kinds on different plants.

I linked to Tania's page for it but there isn't a lot of info there and the plate with the mini=beef fruits look a bit large to me, but whatever.

Tania also has a seperate page for the Mini-beef and says it's red. But both fruit forms are the same dark color, about the color of Black Cherry. I do like Black Cherry a lot but I also like Kazachka very much as well. Slightly different tastes, actually, at least for me.

In one of my recent seed offers here I was offering it, maybe it was the most recent one, and explained about the different fruit forms.

And yes, as grown by both Andrey and the person doing the seed production and me, both fruit forms are one bite fruits but fruit size can be variable, as is true with the fruits of most varieties..

Carolyn
Thanks, Carolyn, for the suggestion, link & info. I'll keep an eye out for pics of the cherry version from folks who are growing it this year. I saw it in your seed offerings but chose 5 others ahead of it- I think it made my alternates list. Maybe I'll add it to next year's line-up because I'm hoping to grow multiple plants of fewer varieties.

kath
Old April 21, 2013   #15
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I 'm growing Sungreen and Sunpeach out of curiousity. They are not from the same breeding lines as Sungold, I would guess - missing that odd aroma. They are just setting, so I'll know more in a few weeks. The plants are vigorous enough - but not like heirloom cherries.
Meanwhile the amazing Pearly Pinks are ready - great flavor and just 100 days from germination. I made a salad with these and some spinach from the greenhouse tonight.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pearly Pink.JPG (508.0 KB, 186 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote