Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 21, 2013   #1
tedln

Default Moravski Div. abnormality

I had about 95% germination with forty tomato varieties this year. The only variety I experienced problems with was Moravsky Div. purchased from a vendor. I planted six seeds of each variety including MD. Only one MD seed germinated. It produced a normal looking seedling. I replanted four more seed and only two germinated. The two produced seedlings with a single leaf on top instead of a terminal bud. They are about six inches tall fully leafed, but they look kind of weird without a terminal bud.

Will plants eventually produce a terminal bud or are they pretty much doomed as tomato plants. I'm letting them grow and if they survive, I will probably plant them out to see what happens. They had no germination abnormalities like stuck helmets or anything, so I don't know what happened to them.

Since the single seedling out of ten seeds has performed so well, I'm wondering if it is indeed a Moravsky Div. plant. It may be a single seed of a different variety which was accidentally mixed in with the MD seeds.

Just curious!

Ted

Last edited by tedln; February 21, 2013 at 06:40 PM.