Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 15, 2018   #121
mekrebs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Mekrebs- thanks for posting your recipe. I am wondering what the tomatillos add flavor wise, if thats possible to describe? Also, how do they effect your salsa's finished color? I want to try your method out this year. Last year I had tomatillos coming out my ears!
Heide
Yeah, the tomatillo abundance issue is what got me started. Tomatillos just add another layer of flavor that combines very well. Imagine mixing green tomatillo salsa with red tomato salsa and you'll get the taste picture.

As you know, mixing red and green in equal amounts makes brown. In order to avoid that, use: 1) slightly more tomatoes than tomatillos, 2) ripe (yellow) tomatillos, 3) ripe (vivid red) hot peppers.

I think using bright red peppers has the strongest effect for maintaining good redness/preventing browness. They basically dye the whole batch.
mekrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #122
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I made several jars of habanero salsa a while back and over did it on the habanero peppers even for me.
The darn stuff is so good you cant stop eating it even though your lips are burning off.

Since I didn't use vinegar I use it to flavor soups, beans and so on too.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote