Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2018   #31
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Another excellent plant, if you like large red pincushion types is Super Marmande. This variety is one I grow frequently, as the plant always seems to be robust and healthy, and puts out a large number of excellent tasty red tomatoes.

Otherwise, there have been a lot of terrific suggestions so far.
Old February 20, 2018   #32
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Wispy droopy leaved plants tend to get very high. They take fairly low horizontal space due to their droopiness but compensate in internode length so not to overlap the leaves too much. Small fruited varieties, of course, will generally get very tall as well. Plants that have poor pollination also excel at height since they have extra energy from low fruiting.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #33
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

An excellent red tomato that outgrew its digs for me was Klara. It is on my every year list for flavor and production. For a bicolor (striped) I would throw out Pineapple Pig. She toppled last season and I picked so many pretty and great tasting tomatoes.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #34
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

GGWT is always 7+ feet and productive (285 ounces in 2017). Tasty no matter the weather. Looking good too.

Danna's Dusky Rose was huge plant with couple fruits over 20 ounces and total of 324 ounces. Would benefit from being caged. Loved the taste.

Orange Jazz grew wild with some fruits over a pound (grew in container with total of 236.7 ounces). Really beefy.

Any big plant with heavy fruits is great candidate for TTC. And you need good production and taste, otherwise it's not worth the money spent. Wish you great season.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #35
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

brandywine from croatia
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #36
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Here's a few that can fill up a cage- Dotson's Lebanese Heart and Terhune. At over 10 feet, they had to be cut at the growth stems. I did have a lot of collapses, because DLH is a late tomato, and most of the fruit was high on the plant. In the last photo, Terhune is on the left and the right, and I'm trimming the growth stems from the DLH plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden 2 6-21-17.JPG (139.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 1 6-18-17.JPG (183.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Trimming DLH Growth Stems 6-18-17.jpg (109.3 KB, 79 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #37
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Aunt Ruby's German Green. The extra chlorophyll keeps most green when ripe plants growing extremely vigorously.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #38
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Wow Spartanberg123. Those plants are super extremely indeterminate. Is there a nearby nuclear plant giving them a little extra motivation ? Never grew dlh. Afaik, Terhune is a shorter plant with large fruit described as 4'8'' in one catalog. That's about as tall as I remember it several years ago. If that were me I'd switch to dwarfs and save the ladder for gutters and holiday lights!

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; March 11, 2018 at 01:06 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #39
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Wow Spartanberg123. Those plants are super extremely indeterminate. Is there a nearby nuclear plant giving them a little extra motivation ? Never grew dlh. Afaik, Terhune is a shorter plant with large fruit described as 4'8'' in one catalog. That's about as tall as I remember it several years ago. If that were me I'd switch to dwarfs and save the ladder for gutters and holiday lights!

- Lisa
Yeah Lisa- these did have perhaps a bit too much rabbit poo LOL. While these were the tallest, most of my garden exceeded 7 feet or so, so the soil was definitely rich. Point being is that good soil preparation can go a long way in filling up a Texas Tomato Cage!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote