Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 31, 2016   #1
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Default Care of heirloom tomatoes

I have been looking for a information bank from gardeners who grow heirloom tomatoes.Is there a location where successful heirloom gardeners share their care and prevention techniques?If not I think we surely need one.Example; preplanting methods, what goes in the planting hole, when do you start prevention techniques and what do you do, weekly care of plants; fertilization, foliar sprays, compost and just gosh darnoodley anything else.
This way we can ALL improve our techniques.I am a gardener and have no secrets on growing plante.Would be happy to share.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016   #2
charline
Tomatovillian™

you have come to the right place
everything is here in this forum
all you need to know about growing tomatoes has been discussed here, just do a search
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I think a forum such as this will be as close as you'll get, and even then, it will only provide a starting point for learning what works best for a person's particular situation.

In my years here, I've learned that there are tens of thousands of us heirloom gardeners and we all do things a little differently at each stage for different reasons.

Yes, the basic steps are all the same and readily available at many sites (start seeds, transplant seedlings, water, feed, harvest). Beyond that, we all have our own methods, often chosen through trial and error for our particular location and growing conditions.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016   #4
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoville's essence cannot be distilled, the fragrance is unique to every member.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Tomatoville's essence cannot be distilled, the fragrance is unique to every member.
Well said,

It is all here at TVille. 40,000 threads, close to 600,000 posts...though sometimes hard to search when an individual problem comes up.
Just posting a pic of seed starting success and what works for your climate, or an issue that happens and panic sets in, is what a forum is about.
A new season, seed starting, potting up, feeding, is usually a year apart and some methods that worked last year are forgotten. Successes are recorded or not. We all do it different but those methods are a narrow dozen...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Location is the big variable. Try to emulate someone in your area.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016   #7
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9748 View Post
I have been looking for a information bank from gardeners who grow heirloom tomatoes.Is there a location where successful heirloom gardeners share their care and prevention techniques?If not I think we surely need one.Example; preplanting methods, what goes in the planting hole, when do you start prevention techniques and what do you do, weekly care of plants; fertilization, foliar sprays, compost and just gosh darnoodley anything else.
This way we can ALL improve our techniques.I am a gardener and have no secrets on growing plante.Would be happy to share.
I'm in SC. Prevention starts as soon as you plant the seeds. Buying plant starts is always a crap shoot so starting your own is better. As far as what to put in the hole that depends on the method you use.

For example I amend my soil with compost/manure/shredded leaves, dolomite lime and blood meal. Not just the holes but the whole row. At planting time you want to make sure you have something on the plants to protect them from insects. I use this http://www.groworganic.com/surround-25-lb.html Row covers are another option that works well for salad greens.

Weekly I fertilize, spray whatever is needed and keep up on pruning. As with anything it all depends on your situation, your outlook on gardening, time allowed etc. Here in the South I would recommend spraying fungicide after every rain. I plan to grow almost all my heirlooms under plastic this year just because it will be cheaper and easier in the long run. Look around TV and you can find answers/opinions on just about anything you want to learn about.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #8
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Problem is there is to much general information.I think a best practices and methods just for heirlooms, exclusive, needs to be under one heading.
Old July 13, 2017   #9
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

I don't want any essence.Why is best practices and methods that have worked for us on heirlooms difficult to understand.Here on TV there is so much broad info. You can't find the forest for the trees.
"Best heirloom techniques"
One or two specifics that have worked very well for you.Point is to NOT get to broad.Be specific!!!
Old July 13, 2017   #10
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

What have you found that works best to keep diseases off your plants.I rely on copper and daconil and add neem oil when I spray.
Very bad year here in Lexington, SC.Temps 95+s and afternoon rain storms almost every day to keep humidity at 100%.
I do all the mulch and pruning and grow in concrete wire cages.No part of plant or leaves ever touch the ground.
What do you fertilize with every week?
Old July 13, 2017   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Prune to one stem. Fertilize often after fruit formation if your soil isn't that great. Try a few new varieties each year. Keep the soil aerated (it can get compacted by heavy rains). Stake well. Keep an eye on disease or pests and learn to quickly identify the problem. Pray for good weather.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont get the "just for heirlooms part"?
All tomato plants need the same care hybrid or not but some respond differently.
Some aren't worth a hoot to grow in certain areas some are.
No one will nor should they agree that (this) is the best way to do anything.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #13
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Trying to get thousands of tomato growers to agree on one set of "best practices" will be impossible...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #14
MdTNGrdner

You would have to add a LOT of parameters to your thread, and even then there would be many answers. e.g. for growing in clay soil, wet weather, high tunnel, dry weather, watering schedule... if you narrowed down your fields you might get closer to what you want but even one variable shifting changes the answer.
Old July 13, 2017   #15
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9748 View Post
I don't want any essence.Why is best practices and methods that have worked for us on heirlooms difficult to understand.Here on TV there is so much broad info. You can't find the forest for the trees.
"Best heirloom techniques"
One or two specifics that have worked very well for you.Point is to NOT get to broad.Be specific!!!
If you have something to contribute, post it people will respond and appreciate it.
If you have a specific question ask nicely and you will likely get many constructive responses, but don't expect them all to agree. There may be extra information about someone's dog, or dinner ideas, or something really funny. It's a conversation of the best kind. One of the best things about t'ville is the diversity of methods and techniques growers are willing to share. It will be up to you to distill that into something that works for you.

I don't know if you know but you came on a little strong, a gentler approach works best here.
Good luck.

My foliage plan FWIW. Post 24 has been working for me.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=37317&page=2

I don't have anything to add on weekly fertilizer, I don't grow that way.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote