Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 3, 2008   #46
dice
Tomatovillian™

You have to figure that anyone that has an online
catalog but *not* online ordering and yet handles
small retail orders is not in it for the money (else
they would spring for a website that maximizes
customer convenience, figuring that they would
get the cost back a thousand times over in increased
sales).

In that light, one cannot really expect the same kind of
customer service that you would be insulted if you did
not receive from most online vendors. It is more like a
a volunteer public service with a small donation to cover
some of their costs than a for-profit business. In return
for putting up with not quite professional quality service,
you get access to seeds of a lot of cultivars that you are
not going to find anywhere else, and at a more than fair
price, too. If they happen to not have something listed
in the catalog when you order, that is just how it goes,
and they will usually send you a substitution and something
else free for compensation.

In short, Sandhill Preservation functions more like
a mail-order farmer's market than a vending machine,
where popular items can sell out while your order
is in the mail, and their website gets updated when
they get around to it. While I may not get everything
I ordered in a Sandhill order, I doubt that I will be
unhappy with what I do get.
Old January 3, 2008   #47
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Dice, you will not be dissapointed. Yes it takes a while to receive the order but if you order early like I do in December then your seeds will come way before you can start them.

Carolyn, I didn't notice the new change in prices. I ordered before they made the changes. Looks like it might be an even better deal!!!

I too can't see them being in this business for the money. The seed business must be very competitive with very low profit margins. That is why I support Sandhill. They carry seed that larger companies will not because of low demand. This allows the very small community of heirloom gardeners to source otherwise rare seed.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008   #48
troad
Tomatovillian™

Alex,
I spoke with Linda at Sandhill today to inquire about 2008 prices. She said they had a lot of difficulties this past summer and 2 of the 3 tomatoes I asked about were not going to be available this year. She further stated there would be some explanation when the website is updated with 2008 prices. They may need support from some of us Fad growers here
On a good note Sandhill does have some beans I was reading about on a thread from Worth (i think) about Dragon Tongue beans. There called Dragon Langarie. The translator on Yahoo posts that is tongue in French. $2.50 per package.
Old January 4, 2008   #49
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Check out their okra selection too.
Old January 4, 2008   #50
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by troad View Post
Alex,
I spoke with Linda at Sandhill today to inquire about 2008 prices. She said they had a lot of difficulties this past summer and 2 of the 3 tomatoes I asked about were not going to be available this year. She further stated there would be some explanation when the website is updated with 2008 prices. They may need support from some of us Fad growers here
On a good note Sandhill does have some beans I was reading about on a thread from Worth (i think) about Dragon Tongue beans. There called Dragon Langarie. The translator on Yahoo posts that is tongue in French. $2.50 per package.
The difficulties Linda referred to are spelled out quite clearly in the 2008 catalog which many have already received.

And as for Dragon Tongue beans, they are absolutely the best. Unlike conventional green and yellow beans one planting will last the season whereas with the others you should really be succession planting.

I'm in close contact with Linda and Glenn almost all of the time and I know many of the more popular tomato varieties that were wiped out last summer will be back for 2009, weather permitting and as always, some new ones; reminder to Carolyn to send them and TGS the best of her new ones for trial. Glenn can turn around a new variety on one season while Linda at TGS has to subcontract out and the wait is longer.

But with so many tomato varieties listed I'm sure folks will find subs that are great.

But get your orders sent in ASAP b'c if you wait, your wait for seeds goes up and up, as Glenn has clearly indicated in the catalog.
Old January 4, 2008   #51
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I'm still waiting for my 2008 SH catalogue and the online version is not yet updated. Last year's had incorrectly named Canuck varieties, ones I know Bill Minkey and SSE vaults have as well. I'm concerned that someone from SODC is circulating these registered Ag Canada varieties to unsuspecting folks, folks like Bill and Glenn who will deligently preserve these seeds, names and histories intact, not knowing there are problems. I've emailed Linda, but never heard back. Any suggestions? I can provided supporting documentation, if needed.

The problem with these wrong varieties goes deeper than my fixation with correctness; CFIA is exploring Canada Seed Act violations (and to date, no heritage seed company here complies) and is on the way to full adoption of the OECD Seed Scheme and the EU seed models. Plus Canada is currently negotiating a FTA with Japan that will require Canada to ramp up to UPOV 1991.

Thanks heaps!!!

Jennifer, thumping forehead on wall and anxiously awaiting the SH catalogue for the non-Canuck stuff
Old January 4, 2008   #52
troad
Tomatovillian™

Michele,
Beans and Okra? Beans and rice sure.Must be an East Coast thing.

Actually don't know if it ever gets warm enough here to grow okra. Wet enough for sure.
Old January 4, 2008   #53
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdntomato View Post
Carolyn, I'm still waiting for my 2008 SH catalogue and the online version is not yet updated. Last year's had incorrectly named Canuck varieties, ones I know Bill Minkey and SSE vaults have as well. I'm concerned that someone from SODC is circulating these registered Ag Canada varieties to unsuspecting folks, folks like Bill and Glenn who will deligently preserve these seeds, names and histories intact, not knowing there are problems. I've emailed Linda, but never heard back. Any suggestions? I can provided supporting documentation, if needed.

The problem with these wrong varieties goes deeper than my fixation with correctness; CFIA is exploring Canada Seed Act violations (and to date, no heritage seed company here complies) and is on the way to full adoption of the OECD Seed Scheme and the EU seed models. Plus Canada is currently negotiating a FTA with Japan that will require Canada to ramp up to UPOV 1991.

Thanks heaps!!!

Jennifer, thumping forehead on wall and anxiously awaiting the SH catalogue for the non-Canuck stuff
Jennifer, I don't know when you e-mailed Linda but it doesn't surprise me she didn't get back to you b'c I know she's been going flat out. Which is one reason she hasn't yet updated the website although I thought she said she had done the poultry section.

I'm afraid I don't really follow you as to the registered Canadian varieties. Does that mean they aren't supposed to be distributed?

Why do you think it could be an SODC member sending varieties. Couldn't it be Raymond as well, for I know he sent Glenn varieties as well, and I don't think he's an SODC member any more.

Sorry, but I just don't see what the problem is b'c of ignorance on my part.

As for the last paragraph, you've used so many abbreviations that I have no knowledge of that I can't quite understand what you're trying to tell folks. Maybe others understand them but I don't.

The best time to ask questions and fix errors at Sandhill is not now. Much better in the summertime when Linda is mainly inside and Glenn is mainly outside.
Old January 4, 2008   #54
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I just meant they have several new varieties of okra, you don't have to eat them together if you don't want to.
Old January 4, 2008   #55
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Len,

Beans do really well for me, but I have given up on Okra even with a head start indoors. I have to rely on the local green grocer for Okra when I make Gumbo or Jambalaya.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008   #56
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Got my Sandhill catalog today; spring is coming!!
Old January 4, 2008   #57
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Well I guess I'll get my catalog ... eventually. Sure does take a long time for bulk mail to get here!

Due to an unfortunate incident last year, I didn't place an order. The envelope fell down between the seats in the car and was never mailed. But at least I have an envelope all ready for this year ... complete with a 39¢ stamp!
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2008   #58
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Got mine today and have already marked most of what I want. The tomato prices I noticed went from 1.25 to 2.50 per pack. Still not bad if it is something you want. Last year he sent way more seed per pack than any other vendor I ordered from. A nice catalog. And no where better to order from. JMO
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2008   #59
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Our Sandhill catalog arrived Friday, Jan 4, 2007, three days ago! I think I beat Paul by one day! LOL
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2008   #60
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The tomato prices I noticed went from 1.25 to 2.50

Please look again. Glenn explained at the beginning of the tomato section that they were going to set prices/pack for individual varieties based on how easy it was to get seeds from them. Some varieties have lots of seeds, thus lower prices, and some like Opalka and many others I know have few seeds, thus higher prices.

If you look around you'll find some varieties going for as low as $1.25/pack.